* Posts by dogged

4533 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Microsoft boffins borrow smartmobe brains to give wearables 9x kick

dogged
Silver badge

Re: this is cutting edge research ?

That's why you wrote it, right?

What, you didn't write it?

2
3

Microsoft's Surface Hub mega-slab DELAYED 'cause you demanded it

dogged
Silver badge

Re: They're mad

> Lenovo and Dell probably throw away more laptops for quality control failures than there are Surface customers, or ever will be.

> Probably not what you wanted to hear.

I don't give a fuck how many they throw away or for what reasons. All I know is, the board are impressed by the level of after-sales service.

You clearly don't like that, and you also don't like hearing about Hellcat's replaced unit.

I don't much give a fuck what you like either, though.

7
5
dogged
Silver badge

Re: They're mad

> Neither do MS.

I realize that's probably a Register-commentard-pleasing joke along the lines of "ho ho ho, M$, they're shit at everything" but our directors have Surface Pro 3s and the after-sales support has been a bit of a revelation compared to Dell (who we usually buy from) and even Lenovo (who we _were_ supposed to be moving to).

That level of service has caused some rethinking in the boardroom and Lenovo are now basically being told they have to be as good as MS.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

14
11

Ireland loses entire airport amid new postcode chaos

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Welcome to 20th err 21st Century Ireland

In the late 90's, I wrote the mapping dll for a service (which Vodafone bought out) to supply dynamic mapping/address finding in Ireland to cellphones using WAP.

With no postcodes.

I honestly think it would have killed me if it weren't for the tender ministrations of Doctor Jameson.

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Dingley Dell

That's showing your age.

And mine, dammit.

3
1

'I'm COMING for you, DIRTBAG!': Ex-Sony chief Smedley to Kid Lizard hacker

dogged
Silver badge

Re: @ dogged

You're right, I got that bit wrong.

But John Smedley co-founded Verant Interactive which was bought by Sony in 2000 (not 1995, so you're wrong too) and has been CEO ever since. [citation provided].

This makes him somewhat unlikely to have been involved in any rootkit scandals as those were entirely the responsibility of Sony BMG [citation provided], an entirely different company albeit one now folded into Sony Corporation (which, btw, Sony Online Entertainment never was).

So it's still stupid to go "baaaah, Sony, rootkits, linux on PS3s" on the guy who runs MMOs for a living.

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

> You eat from the trough, you get tarred with the same brush.

By the stupid.

That's like blaming NTrig (recently acquired by Microsoft) for Windows ME.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

> the CEO is the CEO of SONY ( remember the rootkits, the DRM, the removal of Linux, etc ) and think bollocks.

No, of Sony Online Entertainment. Not SONY.

4
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: likely being unfair

> Indeed. Sony were the company who thought it was fine to install backdoors on your PC that were easy to find and exploit.

Yeah, but Sony Online Entertainment (ie, John Smedley) didn't do that because they were busy running EverCrack. In fact, I believe they were bought long after the rootkit thing happened, meaning that business unit literally cannot be blamed for such things.

Was this the kid who SWATted loads of people?

If so, I'd say he deserves everything he gets.

6
2

Microsoft starts switching on paid Wi-Fi service with latest Windows 10 preview

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Feaping Creaturitus

I installed Win10 on a touchscreen AIO once, it was deeply unstable with a development environment on it, I rolled back to Win8.1.

I also installed it on a tablet a couple of months back and it was unusable.

You have mistaken being unwilling to see ignorant tripe written by idiots and (probably) paid agitators (because let's face it, you don't see this level of outright hate anywhere the genuinely technically savvy tend to gather on the Internet) for being a fanboi. I'm just as defensive of my linux systems where required.

You won't have noticed that because of the howling mass of penguinistas we have here.

I personally dislike Apple products but we have five of them in our house since my other half is deeply indoctrinated in the Cult of Jobs and this does not concern me at all.

And if you can't see the difference between an application you can choose to install and a kernel feature, then either somebody is paying you to be obtuse or you are functionally illiterate regarding computers and probably dictated your comments to your long-suffering minder. I expect the minder views it as welcome relief from wiping your arse for you, but the end result of that and what we see on screen from you are mostly indistinguishable.

3
9
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Feaping Creaturitus

Wrongly pointing out shitness in a thing that's not what you like is the absolute epitome of fanboiness.

6
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Feaping Creaturitus

That'll probably be why it's not in the kernel.

It's a Windows Store App that you install or don't.

10
4

BT issues formal whinge to Ofcom over Sky dominance in pay telly

dogged
Silver badge

Subtitle

Outstanding. Well done.

6
0

Microsoft rains cash on OpenBSD Foundation, becomes top 2015 donor

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Microsoft...

have we been invaded by cultofmac.com?

Seriously, are people honestly arguing that Apple are a threat to Microsoft? Specifically that OSX is a threat to Microsoft?

You need to be a totally insane rabid fanboi to believe that kind of tripe.

1
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Microsoft...

The form of Apple, and in particular OSX has been around for a long time now without threatening Microsoft in the slightest.

Just because journalists like shiny Macbook Airs doesn't mean everyone - or anyone - else does. Especially without the journalist discount.

3
5

Want to be an unpaid SLAVE for Tim Cook? How to get the iOS 9, El Capitan public betas

dogged
Silver badge

Can we now expect article after article telling us how much the unfinished preview software from Apple sucks, or is that just a Microsoft thing?

1
1

The END of WINDOWS EVERYWHERE! Is that really what Nadella wants?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: where's the new hardware

> so Windows 10 goes gold in two weeks. but where's the shiny new hardware to ride that marketing wave?

Win10 Mobile isn't due before September/October, apparently.

And there's been a Lumia 940/940XL in the rumour mill for quite some time. If the aforementioned rumour mill is correct and it supports handwriting natively, I might even get one.

3
3

Microsoft SLASHES 7,800 bods, BURNS $7.6bn off books in Nokia adjustment

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Fuck

Keep going, "Bob". If you can FUD everyone away from WP then there'll be more targets for all that Android malware you write!

Trolls aside, I don't see a problem with this. Bloomberg says MS will reduce the new handset count to six models per year which is a) 2 more than last year and b) less confusing than Nokia's "hurl endless confusing version numbers at the wall in the hopes that one of them is popular".

Which sort of worked with the 520, to be fair, but a low-end 640 with XL variant (which already exists), a mid-range 840 with XL variant and a flagship 940 with XL variant (already much rumoured) would make a great deal more sense.

And if MS really want the business market, they could go Dual-SIM on all models.

1
4

Microsoft dangles $500k cash wad over boffins: Please, pleeease write some HoloLens apps

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Still contains

Oh grow up. Magic Markers contain zero magic.

6
2

AMD looks at sinking sales, gulps: It's worse than we thought

dogged
Silver badge

AMD are perceived (rightly or wrongly) as having a power management issue compared to Intel. Quite simply, the battery life on an AMD powered notebook is less than that of an Intel powered notebook unless the Intel-powered notebook has a discrete GPU.

That's quite a big deal.

If they crack that, there's still the perception gap to bridge. I hope they manage it.

I also sort of secretly hope those rumours about Microsoft buying AMD are true because it would piss off Intel beyond belief and a) they're fucking asking for it and b) my ex-wife works for Intel so I totally wish them ill, irrational though that may be.

4
2

UK TV is getting worse as younglings shun the BBC et al, says Ofcom

dogged
Silver badge

House of Cards

And you were doing so well up until then. House of Cards is a remake of a BBC drama.

Thanks for playing.

Bye.

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Terrestrial TV

That was John Birt.

5
0
dogged
Silver badge

> the One Show that was actually any good.

Not a phrase I've ever seen before.

14
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Hmm

you've got a real bug up your arse about that, haven't you?

12
2

150,000 angry Redditors demand Chairman Pao's head on a spike

dogged
Silver badge

Re: "Pao believes her unpopularity is overstated:"

I don't have a dog in this race either but I do read Ars Technica and the name "Ellen Pao" struck me as familiar from their reportage. Then I remembered - she sued her former employer (a venture capital outfit) for sexual discrimination because they didn't promote her.

Sadly, the jury decided they didn't promote her because she was crap.

25
1

Samsung, Oppo collared in smartphone bloatware probe

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I took a stand against bloatware a while ago

Because Apple would never do that to you.

lolz.

4
0

Adam Smith was right about that invisible hand, you know

dogged
Silver badge

Re: The value of local knowledge

Surely historically speaking, it's more likely that we invest locally because if the bloke down the road loses our money we can go round there and beat him up?

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: biting the invisible hand that feeds it

> It has to be to accompany a vital public interest story about fashion, skin care or the beach holiday of some minor royal.

Or about an EEE-PC.

2
0

Another day, ANOTHER Windows 10 build for us Insiders

dogged
Silver badge

yaaaaaaawn

8
4

Oi, Commish. Get off the fence over French snooping law, says MEP

dogged
Silver badge
Trollface

If OKed by the French constitutional council, the new law will allow spies to use International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI) catchers, also known as Stingrays, to hoover up telephone data and to access emails and online communications of anyone suspected of being linked to terrorism without a court order.

Because you need a court order in order to be legally linked to terrorism.

2
0

Windows 7 and 8.1 market share surge, XP falls behind OS X

dogged
Silver badge

Re: ATM running WinXP

As stated above, embedded is still supported. And nobody should be connecting an ATM to the winder internet. Jesus, what a concept...

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Also remember by definition it's looking at machines connected to the internet. Anyone connecting an unsupported and unpatchable XP box to the net wants their head examined.

3
1

Apple's Swift creeps up dev language survey – but it's bad news for VB

dogged
Silver badge

Less VB use is good news for everyone.

11
3

Windows 10 Mobile is shaping up nicely – now Cortana can send emails

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Curse of Siri?

I just tried it ("tell me about nine eleven") and got a lot of Yahoo Answers and other stuff (web search results, basically) relating to September 11th, 2001.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: OS who cares

I care that I'm not running Android, mainly because it's Windows ME in handheld form. Slow, bloated, eats resources, criminally insecure...

This leads me to suspect that two trolls (see first two comments) who always smear Windows Phone as hard as they can are actually Android malware authors.

9
5

Microsoft rushes out latest Windows 10 build. 300 fixes? Pff, whatever

dogged
Silver badge

Shut up, then?

14
5

UH OH: Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with your friends' friends

dogged
Silver badge

No, it doesn't extend to "friends of friends".

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: A Stalker's Dream

> And now Charlie has access to Mary's network.

No, Charlie only access to Mary's WAN connection. It doesn't work as a LAN gateway at all.

But hey! Nice panicmongering! Maybe you could write for the Reg! Or the Daily Mail!

5
2
dogged
Silver badge

stop it, they're all having so much fun screaming about this.

Then again, they won't notice over their own manufactured panic.

Carry on.

1
1

Teaching people to speak English? You just need Chatroulette without the dick pics

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Ladybird or maybe ChatRoulette WITH the, er....

Why do small children learn to read from Ladybird books and the Gruffalo and other such exercises?

Because literacy is a tool and they are given the power to use that tool to gain a reward - the story, the rhyme, the next page, the pretty pictures. What is required is incentive and this is why Tim's comment regarding Facebook et al is so depressingly accurate.

In order to incentivize adults further, you're going to need something that appeals to adults even more than Facebook and Twitter, specifically something that requires literacy in order to make it work.

So there's shopping, celebrity gossip, sports, beer, gambling and porn.

Maybe the app in question is simply a version of ChatRoulette where you have to ask nicely?

8
0

Ditching political Elop makes for a more Nadella Microsoft

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Mobile vision

> Microsoft has such a BAD record with security... No other business has such a bad record.

Adobe.

Also Apple.

Also Google (re Android).

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: A little ridiculous

> Thats just it though NOBODY I know actually wants or, even likes the idea of running CrApplets on a PC

And you know everyone. You're like on of those Green voters who still can't understand why Labour lost the UK Election - "Well, nobody I know on Twitter votes conservative..."

11
3
dogged
Silver badge

Good read

Thanks, Trevor. After reading that, I too hope Elop goes into the startup business.

8
3

Microsoft: This Windows 10 build has 'NO significant known issues'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: "this is a build of Windows 10 with which you might be able to get your work done"

you'd still be able to, you just absolutely shouldn't.

11
2

Crowdfunded beg-a-thon to bail out Greece raises 0.003% of target

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Ignorance of the issue

> So basically the rest of the EU handed Greece 200+ billion with zero chance of getting repayment?

Sort of.

What actually happened is that the European Commission, the European Central Bank, and the International Monetary Fund paid off about 180 billion of Greece's debts and bailed out their banks after the financial crash. Greece can't pay it back because this group (currently being termed "the troika") also implemented such savage austerity that the Greek economy has pretty much collapsed, it lost over a quarter of its GDP, unemployment is soaring, youth unemployment is at over 60% and that means that Greeks are now draining MORE cash from the government because they don't have any jobs and their pension funds have been massively raised.

This was the situation before they elected Syriza - the alternative was even harsher fiscal punishment, hard though that may be to believe, and that fiscal torture is still what the "troika" are demanding because obviously, you make a buoyant economy by paying people to be unemployed, right? (!?!)

The actual solution is for Greece to leave the Euro so that they can devalue their currency. The Eurozone doesn't want this because the so-called PIIGS have been keeping the value of the Euro nice and low which is lovely for Germany's exports.

Trouble is, bankrupt people can't buy from Germany.

15
3

EUROPEAN PURGE on hated mobile roaming charges

dogged
Silver badge

Re: How may I count the ways....

True, but your £s will be worth a whole lot of drachmas.

5
0

Microsoft to release Visual Studio 2015 ahead of Windows 10

dogged
Silver badge
Holmes

Re: ASP on Linux?

Capitalizing all nouns?

Hmm. Troll detected.

1
2

Subaru Outback Lineartronic: The thinking person’s 4x4

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I have

One (other) thing that I do not miss at all about the UK is the rampant jealousy and disdain for anyone who's actually done better than you, regardless of how much harder they worked for it.

I assume you've left then?

Don't come back.

2
2

Microsoft's new mission statement: It's all about doing MAGICAL THINGS

dogged
Silver badge
FAIL

> What happens to your control lines if a version of Windows was released that is not compatible with your line of robotic control equipment?

Then there'll probably be a rewrite of the drivers. After the version in use passes out of extended support so you're looking at ten years for that and a far simpler rewrite since there is no paradigm shift from NT kernel to POSIX-ish kernel involved.

Either way it'd be a cost but redevelopment from Windows -> Windows is far cheaper than redevelopment from Windows -> !Windows, as even the most simpleminded of trolls should know.

0
0

Forums