Feeds

* Posts by dogged

3461 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

'Daddy, can I use the BLACK iPAD?': Life with the Surface Pro 2

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I didn't read the entire article

> " The original Surface Pro only supported MS VPN connections, no 3rd party support at all (from what I read anyway)"

What were you reading, CultOfMac or a Gavin "I don't know how to long-press" Clarke article?

The original Surface Pro ran anything that would run on x86 or AMD64 Windows. You were lied to.

7
1

XBOX One SHOT DEAD by Redmond following delivery blunder

dogged
Silver badge

Again with the PS4 ad?

Is it editorial policy that every story concerning the XBone must contain a (free?) ad in the copy for the PS4?

2
19

HUMANITY STUNNED - Apple Retina iPad Mini arrives. A solemn moment

dogged
Silver badge

it has the why fyes and the three gees, apparently.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Wait...

Is that the hissy fit where the Reg took the piss out of the way Dead Steve said "Jaguar" (ie jag-WAH) and Apple refused to ever speak to the Reg again?

You mean that hissy fit, right?

10
1

SHIVER ME TIMBERS, it’s Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag

dogged
Silver badge

Review issue -

AC1 was published in 2007, Arkham Asylum 2009. In AC1, combat was often criticized for being a matter of waiting and countering.

I'll grant you the slomo on the final kill but AC's combat predates AAs by two years. Your plagiarism allegation is misplaced.

0
3

Calling all PSYCHICS and ball-gazers: Can YOU predict a Microsoft strategy?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Avoid the long, cold swim ...

Bears and penguins never coexist.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Touchyfeely

They're touch-firsting Office, if that's a word.

I don't know if you've seen OneNote MX but it's a rather clever way to produce most of the functionality of Office on a touchscreen.

The issue, as ever, is probably macros. And I think they've got a possible solution for that, currently prototyped in the form of that web-based WP8 app writer. Making it backward compatible against VBA will be quite a trick but doable.

Other than that, there's the integration of RT, WP and XBox (which should arguably have been done when they first headed for metro) and churning out RT productivity apps.

0
0

Brit spymasters: Cheers, Snowden. Terrorists are overhauling their comms

dogged
Silver badge

@Psyx

As a reenactment archer - heavy war bow, 210lb - I can assure you that I can teach anyone to be reasonably competent with a crossbow in under ten minutes.

The longbow? Not so much. You do need strength but much more technique. And actually putting an arrow where you want it to be is not trivial. One of the questions I'm most frequently asked is "how do you aim?"

The answer is that I don't. I don't even think about it. I nock, draw, loose, the arrow goes where I wanted it to go. That stuff is learned over years.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: An oldie, but a goodie

On the subject of crossbows - and I realize I'm off topic here but I feel a rant coming on -

This guy is a massive dickwad. He sees crossbows as empowering the peasantry? In fact, they achieved the exact opposite. The crossbow disarmed peasants, put skilled archers out of work and fixed powere even more firmly in the hands of feudal lords.

As the author states, any bellend can be reasonably certain of hitting their target with a crossbow. This means you can round a bunch of brainless thugs and use them rather than pay money for soldiers who've spent years learning how to shoot properly with a longbow. Nice, right? Suddenly the people are free?

Not exactly. Think it through.

Compared to a longbow - which is, when all is said and done, a stick - the crossbow is a fiendishly complicated bit of machinery. You need to make steel arms for it. You need a rolling or winding trrigger. You need a cocking mechanism that can actually bend those steel arms without shattering them or ruining them. You need some seriously hardcore cable to be able to cope with the release strain.

What a crossbow actually is, is "seriously fucking expensive".

And any cretin can use one. But only the nobles can afford one.

So you get rid of your skilled retainers, hire a bunch of thugs, issue them with crossbows for the duration of any time spent in missile combat and then collect them all up again afterwards. Nobody else has one. Nobody else can afford one. You can easily make them illegal in your demesne and have your thugs with your crossbows kill anyone who bought their own.

Or anyone who has a longbow because hey, outnumbered!

The crossbow was not an instrument of anyone's freedom but an iron boot on the neck of the peasantry.

I am unwilling to read this pdf any further because Chuck Hammill is clearly an idiot.

5
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: "We have seen chat among terrorist groups...

And clearly, they're not fixing the right things or MI6 wouldn't have seen it.

4
0

While the BBC drools over Twitter, look what UK's up to: Hospital superbug breakthrough

dogged
Silver badge
Go

Short of Lord Reith rising from his grave and striking Paul Dacre dead during an edition of Strictly Come Dancing (Judgement Day edition),

PLEASE let this happen.

10
0

Microsoft glues Windows 8, Windows Phone programming programs

dogged
Silver badge

Re: What a rush

> Microsoft should be offering free accounts to get developers.

Because malware developers are developers too!

And so are the people who write fart apps, right?

It's funny how nobody complains about Apple charging for dev licenses. Or the fact that you need to buy a Mac to write iOS apps.

6
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: MS should open development to more tools

Er.. all the VS Express editions are free.

Where's the problem?

3
0

Microsoft founder Paul Allen's money man wants Redmond to break up

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Oh dear

> The Apple II was a home computer.

Yeah, if your home was worth a million quid, maybe.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: It would be good for the industry

The phones are good. Just because some stupid people get so attached to a phone OS that they can't stand the idea of competition does not mean that the rest of the world is quite so dim.

4
4

Google's Nexus 5: Best smartphone bang for your buck. There, we said it

dogged
Silver badge

Re: "90% of what's needed"

Hmm. You can turn all that off (I do).

But then again, if the data's going anywhere, why is it better to give it to Eric Schmidt?

Also, the 620 has a microSD slot.

8
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: "90% of what's needed"

I wonder what it does that, for example, a £120 Lumia 620 won't do, beyond tell Google everything you do, everywhere you go, everything you read, everything you watch etc.

21
23

Thought you didn't need to show ID in the UK? Wrong

dogged
Silver badge

Re: ryanair

I'm sorry, I couldn't read some of your post.

Did you mean "cunts"?

5
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Humph!

During the height of the "knifecrime" government distraction - I mean, hysteria - I was asked for ID in Tesco for buying some serving spoons, because knifecrime!

a) I'm 43 (and I look it)

b) They're fucking spoons.

At that point, I decided expecting anything other than a particularly petty police state was folly.

20
1

Microsoft's Windows Azure Plan B: A hard drive, a courier and a data-centre monkey

dogged
Silver badge
Headmaster

"Obsticle"

Seriously, did I just read that? In a sub-headline?

What the hell is wrong with your spellcheck?

0
0

'Last EVER REAL Nokia' phone heads for Verizon, leaky pic-spurt reveals

dogged
Silver badge

Because they have to. Nokia retain the rights to the name.

1
2

Google Nexus 5: So easy to fix, it's practically a DIY kit - except for ONE thing

dogged
Silver badge

Really?

That one flaw aside however Google and LG should be rather pleased with iFixit's eight-out-of-ten score.

Unless I've read it wrong, that flaw means "if you break the screen, you have to buy a new phone".

Pretty certain that cracked screens are the single most common issue with smartphones.

8
3

No, it's NOT Half-Life 3 – it's Valve's lean, mean STEAM MACHINE

dogged
Silver badge

Re: This will either save PC gaming or kill it.

@lurker - then it better be preinstalled, or again, the average console user will never know it's even possible.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: This will either save PC gaming or kill it.

If the media facilities involve a reboot to $different_os and XBMC or something similar, those media facilities will never be used by the majority of console owners.

1
0

The Schmidt hits the Man: NSA spying on Google servers? 'OUTRAGEOUS!'

dogged
Silver badge

By who's definition of "wrong"?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

> Google are an ad company, they're not likely to mistakenly identify you as a terrorist, kick down your door and ship you to a black pit somewhere. The US government may.

"Items which may interest you -

Ski Masks sale reductions!

Enriched uranium blowout!

From Google Maps -

Inside the Pentagon!"

Could be fun.

1
1

Happiness-challenged BlackBerry dumps CEO, gives up on sale

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Chen, don't let me down.

It's not a war, AC. Or a race. We all benefit from competition in the marketplace and I for one hope BB do turn it around.

Also, that kind of triumphalist idiocy makes you sound like a fandroid.

3
0

Microsoft buys all electricity from Texas wind farm

dogged
Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Inevitable question

Yes, nobody should build anything.

1
4

Apple will FAIL in corporate land 'because IT managers hate iPads'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: a lot of companies have had a lot of success rolling out iPads

[citation needed]

1
0

Another 5 years on Nokia's patent CHAIN GANG for Samsung

dogged
Silver badge

Are you suggesting that Nokia's patents are of the fatuous "rounded corners" style, AC?

Do you suggest that Nokia did in fact not do the R&D necessary for much of modern cellular telephony?

Or is it simply that they are collecting a license fee from Samsung and have a connection to Microsoft that's got your ringpiece itchy?

4
5

Last call for Microsoft TechDays Online

dogged
Silver badge

Obvious troll is a) obvious and b) wrong about .net

b) leads one to suspect Eadon, who repeatedly lied about .net's longevity. Oh well.

1
1

Facebook fans fuel FAGGOT FURY firestorm

dogged
Silver badge

Re: How gay!!

I agree that the single statement "I like faggots" on Facebook lacking any other context is probably a troll.

3
0

'It's a joke!' ... Bill Gates slams Mark Zuckerberg's web-for-the-poor dream

dogged
Silver badge

@Don Jefe

I upvoted your post; its use of sarcasm was outstanding.

However, you're wasting your time. The is The Register where legions of pricks who think helpdesk is hard work will instantly pour vitriol on anything to do with Gates, Ballmer or Microsoft.

I agree with Jubtastic. Bill robbed the first world blind and is using that money to save the third world.

He's Robin Hood.

6
1

IT'S patent WAR: Apple, Microsoft vs Google, Samsung, Huawei

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Sony

Not that nice. Sony lose money on Android.

Only Samsung are making money from it.

3
9

How Dark Mail Alliance hopes to roll out virtually NSA-proof email next year

dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: If it's based in the US....

It's not live yet. We don't know where the company or servers will be based.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: SMTP?

You seem to be largely correct. The service (from what I can gather) will only guarantee security of communications between Dark Mail users, making it effectively a private message server.

Although the applications of this are obviously limited, it should work.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: OpenPGP ?

The metadata is still vulnerable.

1
0

Cameron pledges public access to list of who REALLY owns firms

dogged
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: I've got a little list.

Cheers.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I've got a little list.

> why doesn't he release a list of the MPs who made/voted-in the laws which allow these accounting 'tricks' to exist in the first place?

Because he and his Chancellor would be top of it. Lest year they made a big fuss about rewriting the tax laws to "clamp down on tax avoidance" and actually hired the big 4 accountancy firms to rewrite the law so that all their avoidance "instruments" are no longer pursued by HMRC.

The law is now that unless you can afford to hire PwC, Deloitte, Goldman-Sachs or the other one (i forget), you pay all the tax. If you can afford them, you pay no tax at all.

4
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I just made this suggestion yesterday

Hyperlinks are your friend, I guess.

Company A own 53% of Company B. Follow the link.

Company X owns 22% of Company A. Follow the link.

etc.

2
0

Moto sets out plans for crafty snap-together PODULAR PHONES

dogged
Silver badge

Those blue ones look a lot like Lumias.

1
0

Google tired of endless AGONY over alleged EU search biz abuse

dogged
Silver badge

Re: @dogged - Yawn.....

By default, Chrome, Firefox and Opera send your queries to Google.

Your point?

1
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Yawn.....

I'm pretty sure we've all run into the user who opens ALL web pages by opening their browser (which has Google set as the homepage or just the FF default search page) and simply typing the URL you've given them into Google before selecting the top result.

If you don't think that indicates a potentially dangerous pervasiveness then presumably you're equally gullible about everything and have "nothing to hide so nothing to fear".

3
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Yawn.....

>Are you suggesting Google should be deliberately knobbled because it's too good for Microsoft to keep up, as that frankly mindset sucks ass.

But it was perfectly reasonable to knobble Microsoft for abusing their monopoly, right?

Is Google's monopoly made from magic and unicorn farts?

Why do you want Google to have all the money, Barry?

7
3

Do Not Track W3C murder plot fails by handful of votes

dogged
Silver badge

Re: evil? @Dogged

It's a book full of adverts that you never open unless you're looking for goods or services.

What it isn't is a supposedly helpful website that has content on it you wish to read but also tracks you for arseholes in the advertising industry.

Who do you work for?

1
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Yay, new standards

To be specific, one guy on the Apache project said that.

That guy is paid by Adobe, who make a metric fuckton of their income from tracking ads.

Sometimes jumping to the obvious conclusion is unhelpful.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: evil?

> How would you ever find a plumber when you need one in a hurry?!

They'd look in the fucking phone book, exactly the way they used to before spamvertising parasites (and yes, Google are one of these) tried to take over the world.

6
2

Google rivals GAGGED from exposing ad giant's EU search peace offering

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Just who is forced to use Google?

Nobody, but nobody was forced to use IE6 beyond the diktats of their employers and that still rates half-informed jeers of "convicted monopolist".

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

> Distinguishing Google's ads from others and from genuine search results can only be a problem for the terminally inattentive.

I agree with you (hence upvote), except on mobile platforms. Google's search app has no highlighting, lowlighting or other distinguishing features on its "promotional" results.

1
0

Microsoft: Ha ha, my Wall Street friends - THIS time the victory is OURS

dogged
Silver badge

Re: A good result ?

You also won't see any reports on how Google and Apple massage their figures, is my bet. But you probably wouldn't those even if they were published because they don't satisfy your irrational hate gland.

I don't know if there's somewhere that would do that article for you with the prejudicial editorial tone you'd prefer. cultofmac.com, maybe. Or you could start your own. tinfoilhat.com might be free and a whole lot of Reg commentards would read your "analysis" and quote it as gospel quite happily.

6
1