Feeds

* Posts by dogged

3071 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

How farsighted is Microsoft's Azure RemoteApp?

dogged
Silver badge

Powerpoint, Visio...

That could actually be worth it for Powerpoint and Visio.

Only Project Managers and architects need them all the time - for the vast majority of developers they're "once in a blue moon oh crap do I have to do a presentation?" thing or something to do pretty diagrams for a proof-of-concept/business case.

With the exception of (probably) Outlook, you could maybe say the same for all of Office. I wonder what the billing/licensing options are?

0
0

Today's get-rich-quick scheme: Build your own bank

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Tesco

Also, on Tesco, Wikipedia claims -

Tesco Bank is a retail bank in the United Kingdom which was formed in 1997, and which has been wholly owned by Tesco PLC since 2008. The Bank was originally formed as part of a 50:50 joint venture between The Royal Bank of Scotland and Tesco

So I guess they're actually running an actual bank. Unlike M&S.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Tesco

Marks & Sparks banking is a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC(UK) Plc.

Terms & conditions apply, your home is at risk if you do not bend over and take it from the bank manager, may contain nuts

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Priced out

The issue I see is that unless you've got billions deposited with the BoE, the interest is (as you mentioned) negligible. Therefore, your only way to pay operating costs is via transaction charges.

Now, private punters don't like transaction charges and can get an account without them from one of the big rip-off artists (who make their money back on selling debt and outrageous "whoops" charges) so they can get a deal which, on the surface, looks better by staying right where they are.

Commercial interests are totally used to transaction charges, of course, but they're not going to deal with you either because... they operate in overdraft because of liquidity measures and tax mitigation. And you can't offer overdrafts if you're operating on a 100% reserve.

The only potential buyer would be the long-term savings market except you can't pay interest because what you earn is effectively nothing.

Shame, but there it is.

10
0

Hate phone games that make you buy in-app gumble? Congrats, you're a niche player

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Anyone else read the title as "Hate phone games that make you buy in-app grumble?"

Not just you.

I didn't realize the strip poker games had gone quite so far.

0
0

Microsoft eggheads publish JavaScript crypto code for devs

dogged
Silver badge

I think it's the juxtaposition with the capitals above it, but I keep parsing that as "redmondian turkey dog lackey", which is kind of cool, in a Monty Python Taunting way.

But I would have upvoted anyway (and did).

1
0
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: charming.

Which you can look at because you're downloading it and verify for yourself.

The back-end systems are a different matter, of course, but this bit literally cannot be other than legit without everyone knowing about it inside about a day.

--off topic

You know, I don't really like MS very much. Not much at all, in fact. The only thing they do for me is (indirectly) keep me in work. If they went bust I'd still have work, albeit using different tools but for now they keep me in work. No, I do not work for them. I really am not all that keen on any giant multinational money machine, to be honest. None of them are my friend and none of them want to be.

I am aware that here on the Register, it can seem that I am pro-Microsoft. I am not. It only looks that way because the commentards here are so anti-Microsoft that they are, in large numbers, utterly irrational on the subject. It's an odd situation. To autoGodwinize, it's a bit like accusing Oskar Schindler of being an Elder of Zion instead of just anti-murder.

12
2
dogged
Silver badge
FAIL

It's Javascript, you moron.

Try reading it.

6
5
dogged
Silver badge
Meh

<mode="Regtard">

Well that'll be proprietary, patent encumbered and only work with WinDOZE H8TE - fuck you M$!

</mode>

There. I said it for you, you can all go home now.

14
8

Tor is '90 per cent of the net' claims City of London Police Commish – and he's dead wrong

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I harbor some darknet myself

The folders in which said pics are stored are not indexed by Google because there is no link to them.

So I'm a terrorist, right ?

In Eric Schmidt's world, totally.

12
5

Sneak peek: Microsoft's next browser (thanks, IE Developer Channel)

dogged
Silver badge

If only it had AdBlock.

You're welcome.

0
0

'Cortana-gate' ruins Satya Nadella's Microsoft honeymoon

dogged
Silver badge

Nerds throw toys out of pram.

Film at 11.

6
1

British boffin tells Obama's science advisor: You're wrong on climate change

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Stop using the term boffin

Deal with it.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Lew... That's enough

You know, that kind of sneering sounds exactly like the kind of religious fundie who, on hearing something Charles Darwin once wrote says "yes, but he's going to hell anyway".

Not coincidentally, I might add.

5
2
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: Global Warming? @ Dr. Ellen

> We do have super computers now.

GIGO.

2
0

Microsoft C# chief Hejlsberg: Our open-source Apache pick will clear the FUD

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Thought I was losing my mind..

I think you're being downvoted because somebody's a cretin who hates Microsoft (presumably based on a throwaway comment 13 years ago which was actually about the GPL or about IE which was happened 21 years ago and was fined 15 years ago) so much that any information they're given which does not cast MS in a negative is automagically "bad" and the giver must be a "shill" rather than somebody who, y'know, checks their fucking facts.

All that stuff was probably before your downvoter could be sure they would wake up in a dry bed, if they can now. Which is uncertain.

3
5

AV for Mac

dogged
Silver badge

Re: AV for Mac

Nobody said it but somebody downvoted because they were just about to...

0
0
dogged
Silver badge
Trollface

Re: AV for Mac

You should put linux on it because there are no linux viruses.

(Hey, somebody's going to say this without a trollface and we all know it).

9
2

BOFH: On the contrary, we LOVE rebranding here at the IT dept

dogged
Silver badge

Re: SH..

Southmead Hospital Independent Trust was actually a thing until they started sending out letterheaded stuff to actual residents.

1
0

Missed it? Here's the latest on Microsoft's mobile strategy

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Cambridgeshire Police Constabulary @rm -rf /

I believe it's absolutely the position of civil servants and police to explain what they've done, why they've done it and how it will save us money.

Also, I don't recall insulting you. "dogging" is soooooo hilarious, isn't it? What a clever fellow you are! And so mature!

One more and I shall be forced to retaliate in kind (and probably get banned for a week again but what the hell).

2
4
dogged
Silver badge
Meh

Re: Cambridgeshire Police Constabulary

Yes, anyone who doesn't choose an OS you prefer is clearly biased and partial.

11
2

Snowden's Big Brother isn't as Orwellian as you'd think

dogged
Silver badge

I think the important thing here is that Edward Snowden is not important. The information is important.

Those attacking the man and ignoring the crimes (yes, crimes) might perhaps wish to consider this.

2
1

UK govt preps World War 2 energy rationing to keep the lights on

dogged
Silver badge

As for Fukushima, dismissing the worst nuclear disaster in a generation (and it's still ongoing) as just "background radiation" is IMO slightly deranged.

Oh fucking really.

Fukushima scaremongers becoming increasingly desperate

Quake + tsunami = 1 minor radiation dose so far

Oh noes! New 'CRISIS DISASTER' at Fukushima! Oh wait, it's nothing. Again.

Of course, if you prefer the BBC or Sky ambulance chasing viewing figures by running around screaming and waving their hands and interviewing Jonathan "Big Fat Vested Interest" Porritt, that's up to you. But don't try to pretend that telling us the sky is falling means that it actually is.

If that's the worst disaster in a generation, nuclear power is astonishingly safe compared to absolutely everything, including getting out of bed in the morning.

5
1
dogged
Silver badge

I'm posting this as an AC because I know it will be massively voted down, but the fact is (and this is not green wash), in some Reg Reader's lifetimes sea level will be 3 or 4 metres higher than it is now

[reliable citation needed]

As for Fukushima, it proved that a reactor built in the 70's that was never intended to withstand more than a third of the force of the damage which hit it can actually withstand three times that with no more than background-level radiation as an effect.

You can shout names of nuclear plants at the ignorant but this is the Reg. We know a little better.

22
0
dogged
Silver badge

1) Sell off the resevoirs so houses can be built on them.

2) Sell off prime agricultural land so houses can be built on them.

Will never happen. Housing supply is kept artificially low to keep house prices high (and thus, the buy-to-let 25% of Members of Parliament and the rental sector chums, not to mention the Daily Heil happy) and buy votes come election time as well as contributions from the "credit" industry.

Agricultural land is sold off for golf courses instead.

Trebles all round!

2
1

Silent, spacious and... well, insipid: Citroën's electric C-Zero car

dogged
Silver badge

@Steven Raith

All I'm seeing here are arguments for banning cyclists or indeed anything that isn't a late 1980s Volvo.

5
1
dogged
Silver badge

Based on the maths, at depreciation of £600/mile, yes it's actually 42 kilometers.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge
Meh

Re: What? (Re classic Mini)

Go crash both into a wall or telegraph pole (or cow) at 40mph and see which one you walk away from.

Then try that again at 70mph and see which one you *still* walk away from, and which one requires several refuse sacks to collect you.

Or, y'know, don't crash into things.

12
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: What?

Have you seen the "new" Mini Countryman? I've seen smaller Jeeps.

13
0

Flying cars, submarine cars – Elon Musk says NOTHING is beyond him

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Amphibious cars aready done

Looks oddly familiar....

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Office, IE and Windows in line for critical fixes from Redmond

dogged
Silver badge

Re: After all this time ...

> I'm a Mint user

Really? You appear to have acquired a level of smuggery more commonly associated Mac cultists.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: After all this time ...

> How long has Linux been around...is it bug free?

It's worse than that, Jim...

This is Windows and Office so for a valid comparison you need to be looking at linux-distro-of-choice plus office-productivity-suite-of-choice which, for the record, had better include translators, a macro language, a database (this can suck, don't panic), a note-taking tool, a best-of-breed spreadsheet, a word processor, a desktop publisher, and HTML editor, an equation editor, a graph maker, billions of templates, a presentation application that everyone hates (this should be easy because all presentation software is hateful), hundreds of thousands of file converters, a form maker and fuckload of crap nobody understands.

If your office suite of choice does not include all these, feel free to supplement it with other utilities.

And then add up the bugs. How many will you find, I wonder?

2
0

Report pegs Apple for October smartwatch release

dogged
Silver badge

What, only one?

Seriously? an iWatch story and we have one self-obsessed smacktard drivelling on about how they don't wear a watch and so THERE IS NO MARKET BECAUSE I DON'T WANT ONE I AM THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IN THIS UNIVERSE etc

How refreshing. There's usually at least four.

1
0

Tech talk bloke compares girlfriend to irritating Java tool – did he deserve flames?

dogged
Silver badge

> we still run everything

Absolutely. Every man in the entire world meets in a shed (assigned by rotation) every third Tuesday of the month to work out our plans for repression of women and investment in power tools.

It's your shed in a fortnight, James. Remember to move the wheelbarrow.

8
2

Jellybean dominates Play, still seated atop rising KitKat

dogged
Silver badge

If we work along the (fairly well substantiated) theory that the vast majority of consumers either buy an iPhone or a Samsung phone but that almost none of them go out and deliberately buy an Android, the consequences of Samsung phones no longer being Android phones should be fairly self-evident in terms of Android sales.

Consider an imaginary parallel - Apple decide that their Macbook Air line will no longer run OSX but will now run (for the sake of argument) Ubuntu. The effect on sales of Airs would be negligible (this is almost wholly a consumer product, after all) but the effect on new installs of OSX would be dramatic in the extreme.

11
7

First iOS, now Android to get fondleslab Office ahead of Windows

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Microsoft Office is in Big Doo Doo

> M$ - how original

It's mandatory for anyone who still bears a grudge that they can't understand and will, without provocation, incoherently proclaim about something that happened in 1993.

5
2

Women found just TWO out of every HUNDRED US tech startups

dogged
Silver badge

> How many women vs men start up in other business fields, such as fashion designing?

Oh, pick something neutral like bakeries or publishers, please. Fashion is not exactly a field with equal gender interest and you know it.

1
3

Indie record labels to haul YouTube before the European Commission

dogged
Silver badge

I don't feel bad about the EU or anyone else stamping on a multi-billion dollar predatory advertising giant.

Why do you?

6
3

Get ready for Europe's ROBO-BUTLERS: Billions of €€€s pledged to electro-slave dream

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Smart house or Robobutler

> Though I have to admit to wanting an electronic slave, the question is do people really want a mechanical. Copy of a human or simply a home environment that makes life easier?

It most cases, the latter. However, some things - like the ironing and putting your stuff away - are simply better suited to a mechanical human.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Agricultural robots?

Robots that carry bales of hay through mud down to the feeders in pissing rain.

Robots that can attach a cow to a milking machine without frightening her so badly she gives yogurt.

Robots that can mend a sheep-proof fence in the snow.

Robots that can lay a hedge.

Robots that can catch and crush for a TT test.

Robots that can birth a calf.

Yeah. Good luck with that.

2
0

Please be seated at your FOUR-LEGGED PC

dogged
Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Next project, build one of these for <$100

Glazier.

4
0

REVEALED: GCHQ's BEYOND TOP SECRET Middle Eastern INTERNET SPY BASE

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Why did we publish this?

> The government have made it plain that in their view not only foreign powers (ie probably Russia and others) have full access to the Snowden leaks, but quite possibly "non state actors" also.

Presumably everyone who routinely reads Glen Greenwald's email knows so that's China, Russia, France and probably Syria for starters. ECHELON nations already presumably already knew, barring bureaucratic buggerups.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

KUDOS

Thanks, El Reg, for being brave enough to actually inform (some of) the public about what is done with our money, in our name.

The kid above is probably fourteen and still thinks Britain can do no wrong - don't mind him. Without a Fourth Estate that actually reports and provides accountability, the politicians will abuse power, the bureaucracies that feed them will seize ever more and we shall continue to be expected to shut up and obey our masters.

Well, fuck 'em.

And BT.

172
23

Could a 'Zunewatch' be Microsoft's next hardware foray?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I wonder

Apple can't buy Rolex, the business models are different. One sells quality, the other sells an illusion of quality.

The latter has the higher profit margin but the former would never stoop so low.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Are MS trying to intentionally fail?

> (you failed to provide sources for those figures btw)

Apologies. They're from googling 2013 financial statements. They were all PDFs but luckily all the increases were on the second page of each PDF.

I'd re-search (re-research?) but I have a meeting in 4 minutes.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Are MS trying to intentionally fail?

Alright, you don't wear a watch. Nobody you know wears a watch. Nobody you have ever seen in your life wears a watch. Nobody in your entire country wears a watch! Nobody wears watches!

But based on 2013 figures -

Timex sales of wristwatches increased by 9.1%

Casio sales of wristwatches increased by 14.2%

Swatch sales of wristwatches increased by 12.7%

So somebody's buying watches. Perhaps, in your world, they wear them while locked away in darkened rooms with the blinds drawn for fear that somebody will see them.

Or maybe you're just wrong.

0
0

New 'Windows-8.1-with-Bing': How's it different from Windows 8.1?

dogged
Silver badge

> So the price difference is Microsoft's estimate of how much OEMs are willing to pay to avoid being associated with Bing? Awesome!

More likely, it's what they already get paid to use a different search engine.

0
0

Microsoft lobs Files app at WinPhone users with lots of ... uh ... files

dogged
Silver badge

@ king of foo

Er, what difference does it make?

Except that if you prefer one of the third-party versions, you can use that instead which is one of those things that people like about - for example - Android.

Good luck writing a file manager for iOS and even better luck getting it in the Apple store.

1
0

DIY IoT computer smaller than a square inch

dogged
Silver badge

But...

Will it run CrysisHeartbleed?

4
0