* Posts by dogged

4532 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Google Translate MEAT GRINDER turns gay into 'faggot', 'poof', 'queen'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: can't say it anymore

It's worse than that, Jim.

clicky

1
0

Spartan on Windows 7? Microsoft is 'watching demand'

dogged
Silver badge

I have that one solved. I don't install Flash.

7
1
dogged
Silver badge

do you recommend they then use Chrome to download Firefox? After all, it has less cruft in the form of spyware and phoning all your searches back to Google and it doesn't keep asking you to "log in" to your Google account. It also renders hi-res text and images better than a 1970s American TV. Unlike Chrome.

I can't argue if that's where you were going but I would strongly suggest cutting out the middle man.

5
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Just Asking...

No, because IE is still there for that.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

that's nearly as funny as "M$", AC. What a droll man you are.

10
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: The thing is....

> buy a chromebook

if you live in Starbucks and never use anything outside of a browser.

11
3

GoDaddy in doghouse over puppy-flogging Super Bowl ad

dogged
Silver badge

Re: So it's okay to...

I don't see what's liberal about not selling dogs online anyway. I mean, by doing it the traditional way that would appear to be innately conservative.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: So it's okay to...

Many people advertise puppies for sale online and that's fine. You have to let people know you've got a litter somehow, after all.

Nobody would actually _sell_ a puppy online. Christ, imagine the prank sales with bored idiots "buying" puppies for the local cat lady or for the flat-dwelling guy who works 18 hours days...

Apart from anything else, a reputable breeder can (and does) refuse to sell to somebody they don't think would make a responsible dog owner. You can do this because no money has changed hands. It would be a legal minefield if the puppy in question was already bought and paid for.

3
0

Jellybean upgrade too hard for Choc Factory, but not for YOU

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Wait 90 days and publish the exploit?

Two people were. I didn't know Larry and Sergey voted here.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Wait 90 days and publish the exploit?

with proof-of-concept code, naturally.

4
3

Switch it off and on again: How peers failed to sneak Snoopers' Charter into terror bill

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Organising the Techies

I wrote to my MP regarding the last heap of crap they shoved through Parliament. He basically told me to fuck off.

10
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Organising the Techies

>A: Take inspiration from Shinto shrines that have been in existence for hundreds of years, but which are rebuilt every 20 years.

That's very clever......Do you work for GCHQ?

1
0

SSL

dogged
Silver badge

SSL

Hey El Reg types,

When are you going to bother to enable SSL on The Register? Both the site and the forums are currently unencrypted and not available encrypted.

*taps watch*

It is 2015, y'know.

1
0

Welcome to Spartan, Microsoft's persuasive argument for... Chrome

dogged
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: I don't see that it should be a problem

> Haha good one! So tell me, what's the purpose of Spartan?

To stop supporting nonstandard things like ActiveX.

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Microsoft web browsers...

> IE9 through 10 seem a little better, IE11 seems to play nice with our code base now however without any major modifications, I think there is just one or two CSS changes for it.

>But wow, I still hate Microsoft browsers

So just to clarify, IE11 is fine but you hate it anyway.

Okay.

5
13
dogged
Silver badge

Jesus, I actually cannot believe that these articles are somehow getting worse - clearly when you hit bottom, you keep on digging.

Okay.

1. "modern" browser. Nice try at making it look like it only works with Metro/Modern. Well done. Nobody bought it because they all call themselves modern browsers. These days "modern" means "supports (some of) HTML5".

2. Web Devs have to develop for two browsers ZOMG WORLD ENDS except, er... no they don't. Given that Spartan runs Trident and Chakra (the IE rendering and JavaScript engines) it is Internet Explorer as far as development goes. Except for plug-in development which old IE didn't support at all so you'd hardly be testing it, would you?

3. Chrome is a piece of shit. It has built-in spyware, it renders text and graphics incredibly badly, it is slow and it's a big fat memory hog. I could load down FireFox with plugins and it'd still be quicker and more usable than Chrome.

I am a Firefox user. I will not be switching to Spartan. This non-story should have a "SPONSORED BY GOOGLE" label on it.

44
37

Is it humanly possible to watch Gigli and Battlefield Earth back-to-back?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Computer Games Movies

> Actually with that beard of his, I see your point.

I'm not suggesting that Jesus had his hand up Sooty's arse but....

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Adam Sandler

I have a soft spot for "You Don't Mess With The Zohan" but only because I've spent time in Israel and it is savagely accurate in many respects.

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Computer Games Movies

In The Name Of The King, an Uwe Boll take on Dungeon Siege starring Jason Statham, Ray Liotta and Burt Motherfucking Reynolds as the King in question.

I saw the cast and the title on EPG but had no idea it was a game-movie or that darling Uwe was involved.

Jesus H Corbett, that was bad.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge
dogged
Silver badge

Re: "So bad it's good"

however - and in keeping more with your post title, in the "So Bad It's Good" category, I give you Knowing, a Nicholas Cage movie so "knowingly" - I see what they did there - terrible that it's hilarious.

By the time we get to the alien Nazi Angels, I am crying with helpless laughter every time I watch it.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: "So bad it's good"

Daredevil.

I mentioned the Mr Bean movie above (it's the only movie I've ever walked out of at the cinema) but Daredevil is quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen. And I've seen it twice because some ABSOLUTE BASTARD convinced me that the director's cut was an improvement. I am no longer friends with that person.

The reverse chronology, the fuckawful Affleck voiceover, the terrible, terrible direction and editing, the awful soundtrack... everything about that film is truly awful except for Oliver Platt and the late and much missed Michael Clarke Duncan.

If there was ever a film where you longed for the villain to crush the hero's idiot skull, it's that one.

6
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I reckon that I have something...

Oh, I can beat that.

Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie

2
1

Developers, developers, developers! But WILL they support Windows 10?

dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: Windows 10 Development

> I find XAML and WPF as mind-bogglingly complicated compared to the simple drag and drop I am used to in Windows Forms. They need to make it as simple as the Windows forms UI and hide all the XAML nonsense in the background.

What? What madness is this? No, no they bloody don't. Windows Forms generates code-behind. That means there is logic in the display. That means that even if you attempt a loosely coupled design, any further UIs you add must replicate that logic extending your codebase every which way. It means unit testing becomes all but impossible.

What you suggest is everything that was wrong with WinForms, WebForms, MFCs and especially VB-bastard-6. What you're suggesting is a WYSIWYG designer because those are so awesome, right? Right?

Wrong.

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: we're already developing for Windows 10

@Tom 35 -

Hardly. But it's not appreciably worse than any other, just different. There is no learning curve, merely a familiarity curve. I find that some people get over the changes very quickly and some throw a tantrum and refuse to ever use anything different from what they said looked like an unusable Fisher Price toy 13 years ago...

0
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: we're already developing for Windows 10

Some other systems created here - for some other industries - require use of linux embedded, so they code for linux embedded.

And MS lobbying educational institutions? Well... there Office Home & Student I suppose but that doesn't make many programmers. If anyone's lobbying these days, it seems to be mainly Apple.

3
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: we're already developing for Windows 10

Oh that's easy. Three VERY VERY LARGE pharmaceutical companies are already planning to switch over to it. Supporting Win10 was one of their requirements when this project hit the control-software stage.

2
1

This post has been deleted by a moderator

dogged
Silver badge

Re: we're already developing for Windows 10

> Surely you're bullshitting us. So you're already committing to a platform that isn't released, stabilised, proven or even gained a mentionable user base?

We are committing to support that platform, yes. Our clients are in favour.

6
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: we're already developing for Windows 10

> It hasn't - it's caused nothing but grief for most of us.

I'm going to assume you're a superbeing that doesn't need antibiotics, analgesics or vaccines.

Or a dickhead. An anonymous dickead, too scared to back up his sneering with a username.

7
6
dogged
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: we're already developing for Windows 10

No, they are on an internal network.

You should probably be aware that this is an upgrade to an existing system. It's actually the sixth upgrade since the original version 1.0 product which ran on Win2K workstations and Windows 98 Embedded.

You almost certainly depend on the products it has monitored and produced.

You might want to kill yourself right now, in fact, just so that you don't have to live with the fact that Windows has been saving your life and easing your pain since 2001. Or maybe you should just grow the fuck up.

28
4
dogged
Silver badge

we're already developing for Windows 10

Now, we're only a tiny precision engineering company but we're writing for Win10 and IoT for our next product which is all about fine granular control of production lines in the big pharmaceutical factories. As you can imagine, the instrumentation needs to be very, very precise and the data feedback constant in order to get past the FDA.

Admittedly, the front-end of our system is currently WPF but the plan is to go Universal with the launch version and the architecture is in place to support this (loose coupling, disconnected front end, disconnected data store, async model used throughout...)

It should run across workstations, tablets, embedded systems and headless IoT instruments.

So.... some of us are already on board.

4
1

Planning to upgrade your Lumia to Windows 10? NOT SO FAST

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Screwed Again

Shut up.

Microsoft can't guarantee that carriers will roll out their updates. They've never been able to guarantee that, it's not news. Google can't guarantee it either.

2
2
dogged
Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Nope.

Don't see why not.

Just because Universal Apps are a thing doesn't mean that apps which aren't Universal won't run. WP8.1 already runs universal apps and non_Universal apps.

1
0

Chunky Swedish ice maiden: Volvo XC60 D4 Manual EE Lux Nav

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Foriegn ownership of Swedish companies

> Its a Saab, Saab situation

Argh! Earwormed by Elton John!

Damn you, sir.

1
0

FIVE Things (NOT 10: these are REAL) from the WINDOWS 10 event

dogged
Silver badge

Re: @SRS @ dogged

Normally I don't even look at them but 32? For having your texts read to you? Man. That's crazy.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

@SRS

> tell me you're joking. If you really do text and drive, god help anyone near you.

No, Cortana reads the text, asks if I want to ignore it or answer it, if I choose to answer it I do so by voice.

All handsfree, all via voice.

Are the 32 downvotes for that post strictly a result of poor reading comprehension?

0
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Nobody talks to Cortana

32 thumbs down for stating that having a text read to you in the car and replying by voice is both common and useful?

Wow.

0
1

Uber isn't limited by the taxi market: It's limited by the Electronic Thumb market

dogged
Silver badge

Re: In my defence

> "arguably"

In the same way that the earth is arguably flat?

5
3

SURPRISE! Microsoft pops open Windows 10 Preview build early

dogged
Silver badge

Re: The internet

> I'm pretty sure MS accounts behave the same as domain accounts when disconnected.

They do. I tested it.

1
0

Why so tax-shy, big tech firms? – Bank of England governor

dogged
Silver badge

Re: "the challenge will be for people to develop skills that cannot be displaced by machines"

Labour-saving technology is not to save people from labour, JDX. It's to save companies money on their labour bills.

You can tell this by the way our government reacts to people not having a job - first try to starve them to death and then sell them as slaves to Poundland.

8
7

Telefónica to offload O2 to Three daddy Hutchison for £10.25bn

dogged
Silver badge

If O2 is frequently NO2 then adding Three becomes NO3 or... Nitrate?

and "Okay NO3" becomes KNO3.. Now all we need is C and S from somewhere...

No, this isn't working.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Li Ka-Shing?

kerching!

2
0

Is Windows RT not invited to the Windows 10 upgrade party?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: ARM vs ATOM

> That's rubbish. Netbooks didn't even really exist when XP was about. The main reason that almost no one bothers selling Linux based PC products is that they cost lots more to provide support for than Windows...

Sorry, that's rubbish. The main reason that Asus stopped selling linux-based netbooks was (according to them) that customers returned them on discovering that they couldn't install Office or play any games.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: ARM vs ATOM

@Dan 55 - that would require supporting a version of (presumably Visual Studio) compiled for ARM.

Which I personally would have viewed as added value but I'm guessing they didn't fancy the extra support overhead OR Sinofsky ran into political obstruction from the head of Server & Tools which was, er, Nadella.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

> WinMo 7

Never existed. The last version of Windows Mobile was 6.5

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

> I paid 200 quid for it and got a years world-wide Skype and 200GB of OneDrive, it was worth it. It is a fantastic device, I no longer take a laptop when travelling abroad but don't have to rely totally on my phone, especially for watching movies etc., brilliant.

I personally think this is great news because I've been itching to play with one of these things but could never justify the price. Now hopefully they'll start hitting Ebay at the price they should have retailed for.

1
0

Never mind those touch apps, full Office 2016 is coming this year

dogged
Silver badge

Re: My new Office wishlist

Aero is past it and they Old Yeller'd it for an excellent reason.

If you do love your OS to look like it was last updated in 2005, I understand OSX and iOS look a great deal like Windows Vista these days.

1
4
dogged
Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Microsoft survival "strategy"

> From what I have seen, pretty much everything Microsoft announced this week is already being done for years by Sony, Google and Apple,

o rly

0
3

SCREW you, GLASSHOLES! Microsoft unveils HoloLens

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Win10 - Obese from birth

as an API, no CPU time will be eaten if the API is not called.

and disk space? Really? It'll fit on all WP8.1 devices (according to the briefing, all WP8.1 devices will be upgraded and all version of Win10 will contain this API) including the Lumia 520 with its 512MB or RAM and 8GB of hard drive and you're worried about disk space....

OR desperately trying to find fault.

One or the other.

2
0

Forums