* Posts by dogged

4227 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Microsoft lets devs with form skip MCSD exam

dogged
Silver badge

Explain how they've screwed up, AC.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Desperate ?

Surely you weren't expecting Hans 1 of all people to actually read the article before criticizing Microsoft?

BTW mods, still looking for that /ignore function.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

When The Reg covers certifications, comments nearly always argue that vendors' accreditations aren't very valuable because they don't reflect real world experience or proven capabilities. App to Cert goes some way towards addressing that criticism. Or does it?

The answer to your question is quite simple, assuming we're still talking in terms of commentard opinions. That answer is "this would be an amazing genius piece of absolute brilliance that solves everything if it were Google doing it but it's Microsoft so it sucks and is evil".

See above.

2
3

Stuck on a coding problem – should you Bing it?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: ASP.NET Forums

Anyone who takes advice from the ASP.NET forums is asking for everything they get.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: VS Express no' worky.

Can't you yank the full "Community" version to work in?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Fits in well with Windows 8

Amazingly, you can have visual studio and a browser on screen at the same time in Windows 8 too. I have right now on this work machine, for example.

On topic - most of this looks to merely a widget to save time typing search criteria but the "right-click a compile error" actually looks handy enough for me to install this and try it out.

If comments are still open at the end of the week when I've given it a bit of a live test, I'll reply here with an opinion on whether it's any use.

6
2

Elite: Dangerous 'billionaire' gamers are being 'antisocial', moan players

dogged
Silver badge

Re: It really is a vocal minority

> If you want to see a group of short changed kickstarters just go look at that poor Star Citizen crowd. Where's their game?

It'll turn up when it's ready. Or it won't. If it doesn't then I'll be mildly irritated but not really surprised (eh, kickstarter...). If it does and it doesn't have stuff they contracted to do as stretch goals (that were met and surpassed) like an offline campaign, I may even go so far as to frown a bit.

We already have a playable dogfight game that I haven't bothered with and there's other stuff that I also don't really care about so it's not like it vanished without trace, which is hopeful.

SC will definitely disappoint some people because some people have insanely unrealistic expectations. It won't disappoint me because I have almost no expectations - I'm just interested to see what Chris Roberts will come up with. He's always done interesting work before.

The difference between this and the Elite:Dangerous experience is that my life is much more mellow and relaxed than an apparently arguable minority/majority (delete depending on your confirmation bias) because I knew in advance that Dave Braben was a massive arse of Piers Morgan proportions and refused to pay him any money.

So I feel a bit sorry for you Flyberius, but don't spare me any concern. I'm absolutely fine.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Would you prefer articles like this?

MOST ELITE:DANGEROUS PLAYERS OKAY WITH EVERYTHING

Nothing to see here, move along.

....

Seriously, go away. ®

Probably not much in the way of revenue on that one.

*EDIT - FFS guys, turn off the automated carriage return linefeed thingy. Formatting is all but impossible.

33
1

Right, who feels like going to an Ofcom meeting? Anyone? Bueller?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I have a few simple suggestions

It would be better than now when BT customers get a line fixed in three days and Talk Talk customers might get a line fixed in three weeks if Talk Talk support bother to do anything about it.

0
0

Snowden leaks lack context says security studies professor

dogged
Silver badge

Re: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

> That almost made sense...

It's agonising, isn't it? With a normal amanfromMars1 post you pretty know what you're reading from the fifth word but that one started out as if it was going somewhere and then slowly fucked with your head.

I really should start reading the poster names before I read the text. Self-preservation demands it.

0
0

UKIP website TAKES A KIP, but for why?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Major update cockup?

I agree with you!

However, a quick glance through the sadly now apparently no longer updated spEak You're bRanes clearly demonstrates that much of what you find on Have Your Say (and the Mail's comments, and many other places) is quite clearly racism, not to mention illiterate and retarded.

I think UKIP are a shame. I like the anti-EU thing because the EU is a wholly corrupt, undemocratic, porkbarrel-based money pit with very few redeeming features (note - the ECHR is entirely separate from the EU and almost entirely worthwhile so fuck you Farage) but they couldn't just stick to that.

Oh no, it had to be the eternal "immygrunts" ruining everything for hard-working whiterespectable British people. Because they are entirely to blame for austerity. Not the banks that shat the bed in 2007, not successive ludicrous amounts of unnecessary government borrowing, regulating and policing, not the tax system that seems to be entirely designed to fuck poor people in the ear while anyone who can afford to hire PwC (a deductible expense...) pays none at all, not the illegal, disastrous foreign wars, not restricting housing supply in order to create bubbles and give MPs a cheaper and more profitable ride on their Buy-To-Let schemes, not practically forcing kids to do expensive and mostly useless degrees in bullshit subjects from the University of Greater London (formerly Chelmsford B&Q)....

No, it wasn't any of the ruling classes with their protected and bailed out gravy trains. It was all "immygrunts". Let's pick on some brown people, that'lll make everything alright. And jobs for British people because after all, arbeit macht frei, nicht wahr?

19
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Major update cockup?

A tempting suggestion but I doubt very much that UKIP can afford to pay for astroturfing legions on the comment section of a local newspaper. There are so many local newspapers. And then there's the BBC's Have Your Say to shit mindless racism all over too.

8
1

By the power of Xbox, WE HAVE THE POWER! - Leakers publish One's SDK

dogged
Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Look we need the companies to compete, it drives the market forwards.

I thought Sony were in financial trouble, AC.

Nice to see they can still afford you.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Homebrew with strings

> the media "marketed" the idea didn't help

the actual details didn't fit in a tweet (or red-top headline).

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Homebrew with strings

Basically this.

You own the console. Do what you like to it.

You do not own the servers you want to connect it to. To do so, you must comply with conditions that are set in order to

a) maintain "fair play"

b) prevent PS3-style cracking of that system, thus hurting other players and

c) ensure that you're not playing against somebody who paid full whack with your pirated game (this is really a subset of a) but I felt it needed emphasis).

So sure thing, hack away. But you can only hack what you paid for. And you did not pay for ongoing support patches - those are warrantee items and you invalidated your warrantee when you hacked the box.

Well put, @Lost all faith.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Homebrew with strings

Then don't buy one.

You're happy and the lack of you complaining about a console you don't own will make everyone else happy too.

7
2

No cellphones in cells, you slag! UK.gov moots prison mobe zap law

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Er, prison...

No, they don't. Bars are a suicide risk.

1
0

Double-digit tablet growth spurt is OVER, say pundits

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Waiting for a new display technology

Whatever happened to Pixel QI?

0
0

Hack flings bootkits from Macs' Thunderbolts

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Well duh!

Not really. Your local Temple Of Apple Genius Bar Design Holiness is the obvious vector.

Put it on a Mac that you're having the non-replaceable SSD replaced on. Boom. Suddenly every "genius" is infected and every cultist pleasured by that "genius" is probably infected too.

Assuming the kit phones home (via at least seven proxies!) you just sit back and collect your nicked data, safe in the knowledge that all the machines you infected are owned by people who are not only wealthy but also too stupid to fix their own computers.

4
1

Makers of Snowden movie Citizenfour sued by ex-oil exec

dogged
Silver badge

Re: For profit?

I found that an interesting phrase.

One could charitably assume that they meant it to be parsed as follows -

"the film is an attempt to profit by glorifying international espionage" since Snowden himself has certainly not profited.

But if so, one wonders when dear Horace will sue Sony, current owners of the James Bond franchise.

12
1

Windows Phone bumping along the bottom

dogged
Silver badge

wat

The Lumia 520 is the single lowest spec WP8 phone and from GSMArena -

Card slot microSD, up to 64 GB

Internal 8 GB, 512 MB RAM

And from your article -

Windows Phone 8.1 is now accounting for 65 per cent of Windows Phone app downloads, with Windows Phone 7 at under five per cent.

The most popular Windows Phone device is the low-end Lumia 520, which accounts for more than a quarter of all app downloads. Devices with fewer than 256MB of RAM dominate downloads with 71 per cent of the total, suggesting Windows Phone's most active users are using cheaper handsets.

Now, I am merely a programmer so obviously the "industry analyst" who supplied your figures knows more than me (quiet at the back), but since the only Windows Phones with 256MB of RAM (and there are exactly zero Windows Phones with "fewer than 256MB" as you state) are WP7 phones*,the statements are wholly contradictory.

I find this remarkable, if true.

It's not true though, is it?

*the only one I can think of is the Dell Venue Pro with the slide-out keyboard. Good idea, canned early because Dell only sold about 25 of them.

5
0

Frustration with Elite:Dangerous boils over into 'Refund Quest'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: development practices

> But Braben going bankrupt from apparently negligently mishandling his business is a reasonable outcome, and part of the creative destruction that capitalism thrives on.

Can't tell if sarcasm, presuming not.

Well, quite. There's nothing to stop him going bankrupt due to this in the same way that backers (not "buyers", let's maintain the paradigm) have no guarantee that their investment will get them what they wanted.

> When companies screw things up royally with their only product they often go tits up. Or is Braben too big to fail?

Only his ego.

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: And the moral here is

A little bored Googling indicates that kickstarter contributions are regarded as taxable in the US (the potato salad guy may have a problem in the region of $2,100 or so) and that VAT is levied at source in the UK.

Therefore, I am quite probably wrong although we'd have to await a test case to set a precedent.

And I agree, when - probably not "if" - it happens, it'll certainly be interesting.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Arguing over nothing

> I don't know if you played at a friends

error - assumes friend(s).

That was self-mockery. I did have friends, I just didn't see them often because farm workers tend to live miles from anywhere and our nearest neighbour was nearly two miles away.

There was a school computer club but it met after school and those of us who bussed in couldn't go because, er, bus. Looking back, it seems like it must have been really hard being a country kid. I wonder if it still is? Perhaps this is something that the government's stupid "Year of Code" could address instead of teaching MPs how to write <blink>Hello world</blink>

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: And the moral here is

@VinceH

> That's an interesting assertion. I'm not saying you're wrong - but I wouldn't like to bet either way. It would be interesting to see it tested.

I'm pretty certain Kickstarter donations are regarded as exactly that, donations. Offerings are "rewards" based on contribution, not a contract and not a sale. If it was done any other way, Kickstarter contributions would be taxable (and probably liable for VAT) which I don't think they are although you might want to check with HMRC.

So, yeah, I think Kickstarter is regarded as investing in a business and you can quite legally lose your shirt on any investment. Hard to see how the Sale of Goods Act would apply to it.

4
3
dogged
Silver badge

Re: And the moral here is

"dogged" because it means two different but entirely appropriate things. And I like dogs.

They could have got funding for Elite if Dave Braben was prepared to commit to publisher standards (ie, timeframes and specimen of requirements up front). He isn't. He never was. The only reason nobody else has done an Elite game is because Braben has a habit of suing if they try.

Kickstarter was basically so he could avoid "compromising [his] vision", not because there was no funding anywhere else.

The irony appears to be that he compromised his vision almost immediately by agreeing to an offline campaign and has now failed to deliver it.

3
3
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Been Burned Before

I just wanted to comment on the quote you've provided (regardless of attribution)

There has been a lot of uproar about this but the bottom line is that they have moved so much stuff to the servers they physically cannot produce an offline version now. All of the commodity prices, background simulation, module upgrade availability, bulletin board missions, injected events and I suspect even the NPC AI are run from the servers. *

"Background simulation" is probably an in-house term so I can't really talk about it, and "injected events" is another. On the rest though....

If commodity prices are kept on a local machine, they will be hacked. Somebody will tweak the hex values - in memory if necessary - to buy low and sell high. In a single-player game, that's irrelevant but where multiplayer is even a possibility, it's a nightmare. NPC AI and upgrades would be the same. To go offline, you'd need a complete local copy and a means of switching to online sources from context. Along with a scripted campaign and set of missions. As I understand it, much of the game is procedurally generated which complicates this.

I'm not saying it can't be done or even that it's hard. I am saying it's a whole lot of work that somebody has to pay for.

1
5
dogged
Silver badge

@h4rmony

I understand all of that and that's fine, downvote away in any post where I imply that by all means.

However, this is not explanation for downvoting the mindboggling over committing to produce two games when you have budget and time for one game.

It's not a stretch goal, right? They didn't attempt to raise extra funding for this?

I apologize for the lack of tantrum but this is almost as bewildering as the act of committing to developing an offline campaign. It's like you're not allowed to say that insanity is insane.

1
7
dogged
Silver badge

Re: development practices

I'm interested in who's downvoting my comments on the insanity of committing to deliver an offline game as well as an online game.

Is that just somebody who knows dick about game development but REALLY WANTS IT TO BE EASY SO THAT THEY CAN HAVE WHAT THEY WANT WANT WANT SO MUCH?

Or has somebody actually got a valid objection?

0
17

This post has been deleted by a moderator

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Arguing over nothing

Upvote for reminiscences...

Ours was a relatively unusual situation, I guess. My dad was a farm worker. He earned £28/week in 1983. We did get free milk though.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: And the moral here is

Basically, yes.

(Although I contributed to Star Citizen because I like Chris Roberts whereas Dave Braben was always an unlikeable bastard. That doesn't mean I'm expecting anything. It was a Kickstarter. It does not come with a guarantee. The Sale of Goods Act does not apply).

3
7
dogged
Silver badge

Re: development practices

> I can't see how you can defend the way they have handled it.

I'm not, the whole thing seems like some kind of crazy fiasco. I can't quite get my head around the idea of any seasoned game dev agreeing to produce two games for one budget in the time allotted for one game.

I still think refunding backers would simply destroy the chances of the existing game, though. So those who complained get their money back (minus depreciation!) and nothing at all to show for it and all those who are happy get Frontier going bankrupt from paying refunds and no money to keep the online servers going. Not exactly a happy ending.

1
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: development practices

> PS. Their budget was provided by the backers.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean backers get to change the proposal. James Dyson doesn't go to the bank for a loan to develop a new hovercraft-lawnmower and then because the bank manager likes ice-cream promise to have it make Mr Whippy at the same time.

If the bank manager tries, Dyson goes to another bank. And Braben should have refused point blank. Any attempt to actually fulfil this requirement would mean - given the constraints - two late, bad games.

Do these backers know about "good, fast, cheap, pick any two"?

2
13
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Arguing over nothing

> Not sure why you mention the second hand TV. You could connect a BC Micro to a second hand B&W TV (we did) and there weren't many houses without either.

Way to miss the point, AC. Back then a 2ndhand TV could cost anything up to about £100. A BBC Micro model B came in at £400. You could quite literally buy a new car for that at the time.

This comment won't make me any friends but this whole story reads like those appalling teenagers on Twitter who complain because the iPad Air 64GB they got for Christmas was the wrong colour and now they're going to kill themselves. I guess that's what you can expect from people with parents who gave them BBC Micros as kids.

3
17
dogged
Silver badge

Re: development practices

> The off-line promise was only added because it was explicitly requested by so many backers. Which to my mind makes it probably one of the most important requirements of the project.

Jesus fucking christ, are you serious? And Braben agreed to this madness?

That is literally insane. That's like proposing an idea for a summer blockbuster movie and having the studio talk you into doing a vaguely-related tie-in 24 episode TV show at the same time and inside the existing budget. It's lunacy. It should have been rejected immediately.

Wow.

4
10
dogged
Silver badge

"Too hard"

As some have said, Frontier claim an offline mode is "too hard". That's not really the truth.

It's much the same as the fuss about Ubisoft not having having a female lead in AC::Unity and the complaints we saw about that from nutters (the complaints about the game not being any good are a whole different matter) and Ubisoft claiming it would take too long. It wouldn't, not just for mo-cap.

However -

It almost certainly would take too long to add a rewritten version of the whole story so that it works with a female protagonist and Ubisoft have (EA-led) deadlines and probably penalty clauses for failing to deliver on schedule. That doesn't matter to the professional complainers, of course, but it should matter to gamers who just want to play the damn game.

By the same token, Braben & Co have to deliver Elite to a timeframe and they've dropped a single-player campaign to do so. Why couldn't they release the single-player campaign later? Well, it's a fairly integral part of an initial release. People play single-player before hitting multiplayer. Adding it in later would be weird and contradictory and almost certainly raise just as many complaints as dropping it entirely. Kickstarter backers - let us not forget - are not known for their quiet, understanding patience. They are internet fucktards like all the other internet fucktards, so quite the reverse.

I think Frontier were in an impossible situation. They could go way over timeframe (eliciting calls for refunds everywhere from everyone), they could patch in offline mode later (eliciting exactly what we're seeing here but with added development cost and no added funding) or they could pull offline mode completely which still causes internet fucktards to throw all their toys out of the pram but at least it doesn't actually cost them yet more money and time.

On balance, they made the sensible choice. Backers don't like it? Meh. Kickstarter is not buying from a shop. Backers should be thinking themselves lucky Frontier delivered at all.

5
15
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Arguing over nothing

> Then people like you come along, claiming that gravel driveways are off-road enough for your liking

Disclaimer - I have no horse in this race. We couldn't afford a second-hand colour TV in 1983, let alone a BBC Micro so I have no Elite nostalgia and have not preordered or even ordered this game. However...

That was a really fucking stupid analogy. The whole point of an off-road vehicle is to go off-road. The whole point of a space trading simulator is to trade things in space. This change has not gutted the entire game and made it worthless as your on-road off-roader would be.

I can understand people getting annoyed - the poster above you makes several valid points although not enough for all this ridiculous fuss, in my opinion - but you've gone batshit with it. Calm down.

Two things to remember -

1. It's only a game.

2. It's only a kickstarter.

and your bonus number -

3. Get over it.

20
30

Untangling .NET Core: Open source for Windows, Mac, Linux

dogged
Silver badge

Re: One other

Good one.

XNA is canned, yes. I forgot XNA. You are absolutely correct. It was kind of fun, too.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: You like MS Products

> You've decided that the abandoned MS tech debate is limited to .Net only, nobody else has (oh, and you've also decided that Silverlight, VB6 and FoxPro can't be mentioned).

No, I've decided that if you're going to claim that MS keep changing their minds and fucking over .NET developers, you should actually have some basis in fact for saying so.

Silverlight is (must we say this yet again?) still supported for another 6 years. VB6 and FoxPro do not affect .NET developers in the slightest. What part of this is too hard to understand?

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: @matt collins

> we, as people who solve problems with logic for our very livelihoods, should be better than that.

Except that little bell-end who just downvoted without reason or explanation. He's clearly no better than that.

1
3
dogged
Silver badge

@matt collins

> Pathetic, why would you bring the Germans into this? You're starting to sound like a shill.

I (currently, having walked out of the law firm) work for a small precision engineering firm in Gloucestershire.

Why bring the Germans into this? As an example of the fact that you cannot judge anything, not a country, not a company, not an individual, by what it was 20 years ago. Most MS hate around here is irrational and seems to stem from the mid 90s (ActiveX, bundling IE, calling the GPL a cancer were all around '94-'96). The "bullyboy" thing pretty much went with Gates. Ballmer may have been bombastic and isolationist (and his competence is often questioned despite his clear financial results) but he wasn't Larry Ellison by any stretch. Nadella is a whole different ballgame again - his record is one of opening APIs, releasing free tools and and co-operation with other companies.

I see very little reasoning behind the blanket condemnations (of what are in the main, pretty good tools which would get better if more people didn't just dismiss them out of hand) and a whole lot of seemingly deliberate ignorance and prejudice. It's like they like having an enemy, regardless of what that enemy actually does.

It's not rational behaviour, just stupid Stone Age tribalism and we, as people who solve problems with logic for our very livelihoods, should be better than that.

2
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: You like MS Products

Okay, for a start we were talking about .NET tools and frameworks so MFC and VB6 are hardly the unit under test.

linq2sql is still there and still works (although why you'd use it, I have no idea. It's basically inline SQL and an affront unto the the eyes of God). Winforms? Still alive, still horrible but you crack on. They ain't dead. Winphone used to be Silverlight - as noted, supported through 2020 so hardly dead - and Silverlight apps will still work on WP8.x but you can also do it the Metro way using a subset of the WinRT API and either C# and WPF or JavaScript and HTML or even C++ as you choose. So less "constantly changing" than "continually gaining options" but I do understand that doesn't sound nearly nasty enough for you to use here.

VS macros.. granted. Although I doubt there were many full-time developers writing software specifically to run inside the IDE, especially at the macro level rather than the plugin level. Setup/Deployment projects deserved to die far more than MFC and, also, were not exclusive to .NET so again out of scope As are VS macros too. I still think you're seriously reaching with those anyway, did you Google this list?.

Seriously, you can push this as hard as you like but the only valid complaint would be Visual J++ which nobody used anyway.

2
1
dogged
Silver badge

> Do you remember all the platforms NT3.5 used to support? (MIPS, Alpha...) The disk formats (including HFS), the non-MS authentication GUI (Novell)?

I don't see the relevance. People may joke about "wintel" but MS do not own Intel and do not even own any stock in Intel (see corporate report). They gain nothing by withdrawing support except a reduced support load on what were - even then - failing platforms.

> MS may look as though its all love and peace to linux. It isn't. They are moving up the linux stack to get the apps. If they can get the apps, the marriage between MS and linux will be formalised with a red wedding.

I bet you got that straight from David Icke via telepathy.

1
2
dogged
Silver badge
FAIL

Yes, because everything should be exactly the same as it was 13 years ago. Spin that D-Ream album again, would you?

4
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Removing support is the same as killing it.

> Thanks for pushing me into Java or Python and the LAMP stack.

That explains why you're so bitter.

2
8
dogged
Silver badge

Re: You like MS Products

Try posting with a username, AC. Then you can use the Black Helicopters icon.

2
2

BT takes broadband to NEW PLACES. That's right: CITIES

dogged
Silver badge

Maybe they've just vanished in the Brentford Triangle.

2
0

BONK for CASH in Brixton and help us EAT the RICH

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I deal with it the same way...

No you don't because the shopkeeper can simply refuse to trade with you, quite legally.

He can't refuse your noddy money but he CAN just kick you out for any reason at all, or none, which amounts to the same.

1
0

Lonely this Xmas? Nerds, n00bs and no-hopers' guide to dating apps, Pt.1

dogged
Silver badge

Re: OKCupid is good, POF is alright

Guardian Soulmates isn't actually a thing. It's just Page 3 for middle-class people.

1
0

Forums