* Posts by dogged

4165 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Peers warn against rushing 'enhanced' DATA SLURP powers through Parliament

dogged
Silver badge

Re: @dogged - @dogged

> So you'd prefert to take the state snooping into everything you do and everything you read and everything you write and everything you look at?

Yeah, I can take direct action against that with OpenPGP and underground networking. I can even disrupt security snooping networks, smash CCTV cameras, flood GCHQ with heavily encrypted random packets for weeks at a time (and organize groups to help me do so) and generally make such snooping into the joke we know it to be.

I can't go build a fucking power station.

In an environment where policies come as a package and they will all lead to disgusting new laws, the duty of the citizen become determining which of those laws he can render useless.

1
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: @dogged

From the link earlier about voting for policies -

"We would close down all Britain's nuclear power stations and concentrate on renewable energy"

It's not a straw man and it's not whataboutery when you have to vote for the whole thing or nothing. I'd take nothing over the Greens.

3
2
dogged
Silver badge

> And that's exactly the sort of attitude that suits the established parties just fine.

Not really, I'd say it about the Tories if their energy policy was to ban nuclear power forever and their defence policy was to grow a big hedge around the UK.

1
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: @dogged

So banning nuclear power is fine with you.

Okay.

4
1
dogged
Silver badge

fuck off with your Greens.

We don't know what they'd do but - and this is important - neither do they. The Greens are the BNP for middle-class people. Idiots with no real understanding of systems who have hacked together an agenda out of newspaper headlines. The only real difference is that the newspaper is the Guardian instead of the Daily Mail.

Even in a country where the Monster Raving Loony Party still exists, the Greens are the ultimate in pissed-away protest votes. At least some of David Sutch's policies actually happened.

4
8
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Not getting my vote...

Your MP is a joke. I say that with some certainty because mine is a joke and in fact an overwhelming majority of MPs are jokes. Bad jokes who exist to turn up sometimes and go into the lobby the whips direct them toward. Sometimes they read out questions or sycophantic congratulations or retarded policy ideas that SPADs have come up with. Mostly they do as they're fucking told or they lose the seat with the only legal smoking bar and the decent salary and the guaranteed fat pension and the endless exploitable expenses.

Your MP is a place-filler either in it for an easy life or an ambitious untrustworthy deceitful piece of venomous shit or a worn-out timeserver with nothing constructive to add. Unless your MP is an Independent and there are statistically so few of those that I can be fairly sure that your MP is not one.

There is no democracy. Our political parties are whores to the highest bidders and will do as their paymasters demand. Whichever you vote for, you will still get the same paymasters, the same actual government.

In this case at least, Russell Brand was right - what use is voting when heads you lose and tails I win?

11
0
dogged
Silver badge

there is literally nothing you can vote for that won't make it all worse.

yay democracy.

18
0

What will happen to the oil price? Look to the PC for clues

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Missed GTL Conversions and Dewatered Alge oil...

could you throw some citations in there?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: I'm more interested in the geopolitics of it

Not since the days of steam.

Water and coal, we have. In abundance.

4
0

Ross Ulbricht trial Day One: 'I DID invent Silk Road ... but I'm innocent'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Say, that reminds me...

apparently, there was a one-gloved man...

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Hmmm.... So it went to trial

Ross owns $18 million worth of bitcoins. His lawyer says he got them from trading (and to be fair, it's not like their value doesn't fluctuate) as opposed to the estimate $80million in bitcoins that DPR would have stashed away.

Given his low-key lifestyle, this could be an important plank of the defence. However 18million is enough for a lawyer.

2
0

Google v Oracle: US Supreme Court turns to Obama in Java copyright war

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Oracle has a loaded gun, pointed right at their own foot.

None of which excuses your error - it is used for both Android and iOS development as well as oh, over 90% of the desktop market and a huge amount of servers.

Of course, I understand that you're doing the "stop liking what I don't like" internet win argument in this case being basically a "lol Windows Phone, we want less competition so my preferred platform can be all of the win" thing but being an internet staple doesn't mean it's not stupid. Far from it, in fact.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Oracle has a loaded gun, pointed right at their own foot.

> .NET? I'd bet there are more apps made for BlackBerry than mobile .NET stuff, given that .NET is only used in the least used mobile OS ever:

I added the emphasis. I'll bet you never heard of Xamarin. Or Mono. It's the only explanation for being so stupendously wrong.

0
4

Bloke in Belgium tries to trademark Je Suis Charlie slogan

dogged
Silver badge

Pills.

Keep taking them, AC.

31
1

Icelandic brewers knock up whale 'nad beer

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Yummy

They'd better grate some puffin on there or I'm not buying it.

4
0

Tax Systems: The good, the bad and the completely toot toot ding-dong loopy

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Ummm yes but..... @Tim

> By moving the transaction to a place without the tax

I can see that working out really well for Tesco! Wait, no I can't.

> Because even 0.35% adds up if you're doing dozens of 100K transactions per day, or per hour.

If you're doing that you are either stock/bond trading - which is exempt, if you bothered to read anything - or you're selling to the public at a low margin in which case you are most certainly passing that cost along because as Tim points out, business doesn't pay tax.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Yeah, but...

Tim, you say the deadweight cost is lowest on sales taxes such as VAT but look at what happened with the pasty tax? Even Little Gideon was forced to back off, which indicates that the deadweight cost is actually very high. Logically, the only place a deadweight cost is low is where taxpayers have no choice but to choose to make themselves liable for the tax so that'd be things like VAT on essential items (like clothing), Road Tax (or SORN, the mere act of owning a car means you pay tax whether or not you drive it or even if it works) and taxes on heating, light, other utilities.

On those you can stick the rate up as far as you like and rake in the money, except that doing so will actually kill people long term because 20% is very high after all the other tax you pay and you have no choice. If, as the AC above says, it was 0.35% you'd probably have a lot more left than you currently do, not counting the fact of the Chancellor taking less of your actual pay.

It's a big change and I desperately want to find a reason for it to be impractical because if it IS practical then we're just self-harming as a nation by not doing it.

Some day, somebody will do a Party Political Broadcast where they do nothing except "A week in the life" highlighting how much of a normal person's wages are taken in tax. All taxes, not just Income Tax.

And if we don't do something soon, that day will be the first day of the revolution.

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: @Tim Worstall

> At worst it would cripple the economy as the wealth generators and educated and mobile workers leave for somewhere less hostile.

"Wealth generators"?

Rich people very rarely generate wealth. Big business does not create jobs - on the contrary, it cuts jobs. Small businesses make jobs.

1
4
dogged
Silver badge

Yeah, but...

Okay so 1% would raise 1.5 trillion which is all of GDP so clearly 1% is too high.

But I find myself wondering - what happens to GDP when all those other taxes are gone? Do you spend more or less when you seem to have a minimum of 30% more money? When your petrol costs 50p/litre? What happens to to GDP in that situation? Does it fall? I suspect not.

If cash transactions are taxed at on withdrawal/deposit, doesn't that mean your incentive to dodge taxes is now bigger in paying normal tax than by arsing about with cash?

If we (the UK Government/people/etc) now own so much of at least two major banks, couldn't "we" - the same "we" - give everyone a bank account and say "Oh by the way, if your wages get paid into that then they will be taxed at %tiny_but_significant_reduction_on_normal_transaction_tax)" which not only reduces the cost of collection but actually makes UK Plc into a savings bank with astonishing security and only one borrower (HMG)?

I was really looking forward to this article because the idea seemed quite appealing and nobody really had any genuine objections on the record. I hoped Tim would go into detail, throw some facts and figures around and point out the blindingly obvious hole in the logic that I can't seem to find. Instead all we got was "1.5 trillion lol" and that was pretty much it.

A pity.

0
3

Last year was utter rubbish. Thanks for being part of it!

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Come on the great South, we're rooting for you

> KJ Un

Oh, now you did it. Now he is forever a Tomblyboo in my head.

1
0

5 Times An 'Unhappy Person' Dared To Use The Word 'Boring' At CES 2015

dogged
Silver badge

@ cambsukguy

"I've got nothin' against your right leg..."

2
0

Stuck on a coding problem – should you Bing it?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Fits in well with Windows 8

And here we are on Friday afternoon and.... meh.

It's okay. Maybe you need to build up a habit of using it but I tend to research _before_ I code and generally only look up APIs via F1.

Haven't used the right-click compile error at all.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: ASP.NET Forums

Anyone who takes advice from the ASP.NET forums is asking for everything they get.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: VS Express no' worky.

Can't you yank the full "Community" version to work in?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Fits in well with Windows 8

Amazingly, you can have visual studio and a browser on screen at the same time in Windows 8 too. I have right now on this work machine, for example.

On topic - most of this looks to merely a widget to save time typing search criteria but the "right-click a compile error" actually looks handy enough for me to install this and try it out.

If comments are still open at the end of the week when I've given it a bit of a live test, I'll reply here with an opinion on whether it's any use.

6
2

Microsoft patch batch pre-alerts now for paying customers ONLY

dogged
Silver badge

Alternative Statement

In a more honest universe, Chris Betz wrote -

"We're sick of red-top IT websites trotting out the same story every month and getting a whole bunch of internet fucktards complaining that we're fixing some bugs and claiming their OS's don't have any bugs which, incidentally, they bloody do.

It's just that some vendors don't bother fixing them or admitting to them. Meaning Apple. Now go hassle Adobe."

16
2

Eight pocket-pleasing USB 3.0 hard drives

dogged
Silver badge

Unless you can afford a one-off $2USD. Then you can support this effort -

http://miragesoftware.jimdo.com/krypta/

Remember to compare checksums...

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: How to encrypt these?

BitLocker, FileVault, VeraCrypt depending on your OS.

1
0

Police radios will be KILLED soon – yet no one dares say 'Huawei'

dogged
Silver badge

Re: "Don't shoot" my arse.

I'd say you're a traditionalist. Nobody's used a WOMBAT since about 1979 although the phrase was still in use in the early 90's.

We chickos needed it explained to us. I had to ask my dad.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Why not...

I hate you so much. BOWMAN was the reason we had to carry three radios. BOWMAN, actual working older kit, backup working older kit, toolkit, rest of standard packs...

People wonder why Signals tend to be big hefty blokes....

4
0

Erik Meijer: AGILE must be destroyed, once and for all

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Horses for courses

> Agile methods work for some situations, particularly where the client / end users don't know or can't describe what it is they actually want up front

I happen to agree that Agile doesn't suit every requirement but you've literally just described every project ever.

Oddly, the single best methodology for an industry which insists on Waterfall - such as defence weapon systems - is TDD because you write tests for all the documented acceptable outcomes and error conditions and then make them pass.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Agile as practised in certain large corporates:

I wish I could upvote that more than once. Brilliant.

1
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Smoke and Mirrors

I always hoped it would lead to an end to "project managers" at all but sadly, most employers still reflexively insist on a "project manager" for every project.

The reason for the quotes is that these arseholes never actually manage anything. They're supposed to get information from developers to give to management about timeframes but treat estimates as deadlines in every case. Most have no clue what the project they're managing actually does. One once continually asked me if the unit tests were passing for a project which some other arsehole had decided should be 90% dynamically generated JavaScript (good fucking luck testing that) and didn't shut up until I came up with a set of dummy tests that tested nothing of importance and were all coded specifically to pass.

One used to insist on selecting the technologies and tools we'd use despite the fact that she literally never written a line of code in her life.

And these are not edge cases. These are normal. "Project managers" are parasitic scum but whichever methodology you select, you can guarantee that some cretin further up the food chain will insist that there has to be one.

8
7
dogged
Silver badge

> Have you ever played rugby?

Every weekend for about half of every year since 1982, yes. A scrum does not run anywhere unless something's gone very badly wrong. A team does. A scrum does not. This basic lack of information is a fine example of the half-baked nature of everything about Scrum.

small note to mod - the ad hom was ad Erik Meijer.

13
4
dogged
Silver badge

Agile is just decent communication and getting dickwad project managers off your back so that you can actually take time to refactor code instead of just shoving hastily-written deadline-driven "just about good enough" code out into production.

Scrum is what happens when you let people are a) idiots b) Americans* AND c) in marketing get their hands on Agile and it should be burned with fire.

And Unit Tests are not about predicting failure conditions in live! They are about making each unit of code modular and robust

*seriously, nobody involved in the creation of Scrum had ever even seen a game of rugby. "Oh, it's named for the way a scrum runs up the field passing the ball to each other" - the fuck? Shut up and go away.

small mod tweak - fewer ad homs, please

20
9

Peak Samsung: Bottom line walloped in Chinese mobe, slab war

dogged
Silver badge

uh, logically speaking

> In the smartphone market, Chinese vendors now comprise three of the top five biggest sellers worldwide, as consumers opt for lower cost devices

Yeah but those are all FoxConn machines. As are most of Samsung's and all of Apple's.

FoxConn won the smartphone wars. Four years ago. All the rest is meaningless.

0
0

Tesco preps for Big Data Engine dump: Laters, Clubcard dev

dogged
Silver badge

Re: What's with the pictures...

I would have gone for this picture instead.

You can't copyright something you painted on somebody else's wall.

2
0

Broadband isn't broadband unless it's 25Mbps, mulls FCC boss

dogged
Silver badge

At our last house, BT supplied an astonishing 512Kb down/insulting trickle up.

At the one before, they simply refused to admit that ADSL broadband was a thing and tried to sell us an ISDN line.

0
0

Windows XP beats 8.1 in December market share stats

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Support is impossible

what, the Windows 3.1 Program Manager?

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Support is impossible

Don't make me upvote you, Bob. That's just unfair.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

@Jim 59

> It is ironic that Apple, who actually invented the smartphone

either you forgot your troll icon or you're an idiot.

7
5

Microsoft lets devs with form skip MCSD exam

dogged
Silver badge

Explain how they've screwed up, AC.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Desperate ?

Surely you weren't expecting Hans 1 of all people to actually read the article before criticizing Microsoft?

BTW mods, still looking for that /ignore function.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

When The Reg covers certifications, comments nearly always argue that vendors' accreditations aren't very valuable because they don't reflect real world experience or proven capabilities. App to Cert goes some way towards addressing that criticism. Or does it?

The answer to your question is quite simple, assuming we're still talking in terms of commentard opinions. That answer is "this would be an amazing genius piece of absolute brilliance that solves everything if it were Google doing it but it's Microsoft so it sucks and is evil".

See above.

2
3

Elite: Dangerous 'billionaire' gamers are being 'antisocial', moan players

dogged
Silver badge

Re: It really is a vocal minority

> If you want to see a group of short changed kickstarters just go look at that poor Star Citizen crowd. Where's their game?

It'll turn up when it's ready. Or it won't. If it doesn't then I'll be mildly irritated but not really surprised (eh, kickstarter...). If it does and it doesn't have stuff they contracted to do as stretch goals (that were met and surpassed) like an offline campaign, I may even go so far as to frown a bit.

We already have a playable dogfight game that I haven't bothered with and there's other stuff that I also don't really care about so it's not like it vanished without trace, which is hopeful.

SC will definitely disappoint some people because some people have insanely unrealistic expectations. It won't disappoint me because I have almost no expectations - I'm just interested to see what Chris Roberts will come up with. He's always done interesting work before.

The difference between this and the Elite:Dangerous experience is that my life is much more mellow and relaxed than an apparently arguable minority/majority (delete depending on your confirmation bias) because I knew in advance that Dave Braben was a massive arse of Piers Morgan proportions and refused to pay him any money.

So I feel a bit sorry for you Flyberius, but don't spare me any concern. I'm absolutely fine.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Would you prefer articles like this?

MOST ELITE:DANGEROUS PLAYERS OKAY WITH EVERYTHING

Nothing to see here, move along.

....

Seriously, go away. ®

Probably not much in the way of revenue on that one.

*EDIT - FFS guys, turn off the automated carriage return linefeed thingy. Formatting is all but impossible.

33
1

Right, who feels like going to an Ofcom meeting? Anyone? Bueller?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: I have a few simple suggestions

It would be better than now when BT customers get a line fixed in three days and Talk Talk customers might get a line fixed in three weeks if Talk Talk support bother to do anything about it.

0
0

Snowden leaks lack context says security studies professor

dogged
Silver badge

Re: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

> That almost made sense...

It's agonising, isn't it? With a normal amanfromMars1 post you pretty know what you're reading from the fifth word but that one started out as if it was going somewhere and then slowly fucked with your head.

I really should start reading the poster names before I read the text. Self-preservation demands it.

0
0

UKIP website TAKES A KIP, but for why?

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Major update cockup?

I agree with you!

However, a quick glance through the sadly now apparently no longer updated spEak You're bRanes clearly demonstrates that much of what you find on Have Your Say (and the Mail's comments, and many other places) is quite clearly racism, not to mention illiterate and retarded.

I think UKIP are a shame. I like the anti-EU thing because the EU is a wholly corrupt, undemocratic, porkbarrel-based money pit with very few redeeming features (note - the ECHR is entirely separate from the EU and almost entirely worthwhile so fuck you Farage) but they couldn't just stick to that.

Oh no, it had to be the eternal "immygrunts" ruining everything for hard-working whiterespectable British people. Because they are entirely to blame for austerity. Not the banks that shat the bed in 2007, not successive ludicrous amounts of unnecessary government borrowing, regulating and policing, not the tax system that seems to be entirely designed to fuck poor people in the ear while anyone who can afford to hire PwC (a deductible expense...) pays none at all, not the illegal, disastrous foreign wars, not restricting housing supply in order to create bubbles and give MPs a cheaper and more profitable ride on their Buy-To-Let schemes, not practically forcing kids to do expensive and mostly useless degrees in bullshit subjects from the University of Greater London (formerly Chelmsford B&Q)....

No, it wasn't any of the ruling classes with their protected and bailed out gravy trains. It was all "immygrunts". Let's pick on some brown people, that'lll make everything alright. And jobs for British people because after all, arbeit macht frei, nicht wahr?

18
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Major update cockup?

A tempting suggestion but I doubt very much that UKIP can afford to pay for astroturfing legions on the comment section of a local newspaper. There are so many local newspapers. And then there's the BBC's Have Your Say to shit mindless racism all over too.

8
1

Forums