* Posts by dogged

4992 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Windows 10: THE ULTIMATE GUIDE to Microsoft's long apology for Windows 8

dogged
Thumb Up

Re: I'm disgusted!

In case anyone actually says this stuff for realz, you can always just open an elevated command prompt and type

wuauclt.exe/updatenow

That should trigger the update.

Or of course, you can download the ISOs so many commentards told us would not be available.

Then you can do a clean install and proceed to hate it for not being something else from there.

3
1
dogged

Performance and multiple desktops mostly, in my experience.

And while there seems to be widespread distaste for having a Microsoft account (it's odd how there is no such distaste for a Google account or an Apple account, isn't it?), the synchronization over multiple machines is worthwhile as is the fact that a Universal app, once "owned" by the account, can be installed on anything else the user owns without extra cost.

8
4

Windows 10 in head-on crash with Nvidia drivers as world watches launch

dogged

Oh, are we on Register time again? This story would have been current on Sunday morning. Possibly.

These days it's mostly fixed. And there's a tool you can use to stop any specific device's drivers from auto-installing.

This information will be downvoted by people who really really want Windows 10 to fail.

34
55

New study into lack of women in Tech: It's not the men's fault

dogged

Re: "maths is hard" says Barbie

> and those tend to be the kind who are on the autistic spectrum who like numbers and focus on them no matter what.

Wait, hold on... I'm pretty much self-taught in maths because our primary school just let us work through a book and take the next one. I had no idea I was doing the A Level syllabus at 11 because how would I possibly know?

I resent the implication that I have some form of mental disability just because you think Maths is hard.

"Oh, you learned maths despite your teacher not understanding it? So you're some kind of fucking Aspie, right?"

Actually, no. I learned English too. Some kids don't need hand-holding.

3
2

Speed freak: Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB PCIe SSD

dogged

RAID isn't backup.

0
8

If Microsoft made laptops, it'd make this: HP Spectre x360

dogged

Re: Shitware

ew, Norton.

1
0
dogged

Shitware

Hey Al, an interview I read around release time claimed that MS involvement had basically enforced a "no shitware" rule on HP. If true, that must be quite an achievement given the usual 20GB worth of nagging crap that they like to excrete onto your hard-drive.

Is it true?

3
0

Acer Revo One RL85: A pint-sized PC for the snug

dogged

Re: Moving "users" folder

The usual answer is not to use those directories.

You can redirect "Documents" and the various media "libraries". That's probably all you need to do.

2
0

All smartwatches are insecure, reveals unsurprising research

dogged

Re: Really?

This author's last missive - the one where the NSPCC claim that 101 nonces jailed is 2 per day over a year - shows form for simply regurgitating press releases.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting.

4
0

HP slaps dress code on R&D geeks: Bin that T-shirt, put on this tie

dogged

Oh look, Vans, extremely shabby cargo pants and... smart shirt?

In my defence it's because I've put in a lot of gym time recently and eaten a lot of protein so all my tshirts are now too small. New ones will happen on pay day.

And now some simple bugger is going to tell me I should buy XXL tshirts anyway - I did. The issue is finding even bigger ones. The UK is not great for ogre-sized individuals.

1
1

NASA briefing in HOURS: 'We are upon the CUSP of finding ANOTHER EARTH'

dogged

Re: Trump

No.

Not when it's so appropriate.

2
0

NSPCC: Two nonces nailed by cops every day

dogged

Re: Nonce?

Given that terms can be handed out for any "extreme porn" now (that copy of the "other" Animal Farm is illegal, folks!) these sentences aren't just for images relating to children so it's more accurate than "paedophiles".

Got a better term?

1
0
dogged

Agreed but we won't know until the study finally happens.

2
0
dogged

The really interesting study might be ten years away when somebody finally wonders whether not looking at horrible shit online (most of which is apparently ancient, according to IWF) left the nonces with more time for actually doing horrible shit to children.

17
0

Microsoft joins attack on 'non-consensual pornography'

dogged

aww

Are you guys all sore that your pr0n will be harder to find?

2
2

UK.gov makes total pig's ear of attempt to legalise home CD ripping

dogged

Dumb question

If I buy, for example, a comic... and then I scan it to my tablet (or even photocopy the bloody thing) and stash the original comic in one of those dust covers that hardcore nerds have so that I can read it while retaining a pristine hard copy, have I broken the law?

1
0
dogged

Re: Fair use

It's even simpler than that, AC.

Have I bought the physical media or a license for the content? If it's the media, then I own it and I can make a backup because I'm protecting my investment. If it's a license then I have paid for that license and will listen to the content on any media I fucking well like.

What it can't be is both. Because that's just UK Music insisting I buy a new CD every time one gets unplayable from use in the car and it's that kind of bullshit that leads people to torrent their content.

61
1

Even Microsoft thinks Outlook is bloated and slow

dogged

Re: Scenario

Good question, and how does that work anyway?

Isn't it simply opening a mailbox (POP3, IMAP or Exchange)? What use is an email client that open all your email?

2
0
dogged

Sounds bloody pointless, is what it sounds.

4
0

Jeep hackers broke DMCA, says EFF, and that's stupid

dogged

Re: The petrol station business model of the near future

4 is a heart-attack vector.

5
0

Microsoft has RECORD quarter, in a BAD way - Sad Nad slashes phone biz

dogged

You should move on to Win10 if it makes sense for you to move to Win10.

As an example, dev boxes here at work are a mixture of Win7, Win8.n and Win10 because the software we're producing must support all of these. It's to go into factories where the lifespan of an assembly line is 8-10 years.

If it makes no sense for you to move, don't move.

If you are a private individual with lots of time and patience and you feel your existing OS is lacking, I strongly advise you to try linux if you haven't before. If it does everything you want and you have no issues with it, it's wonderful. If you don't meet those criteria or you're a business with cost centres, linux is almost certainly a more expensive option long term than Windows unless your business is something ephemeral and worthless like marketing or web design.

2
2
dogged

Nothing says you have to upgrade.

I think one of the most annoying things about commentards on the Register is their continual assumption that because a thing exists it is now mandatory and all alternatives have been deleted.

It was MONTHS after the launch of Win8 before the usual suspects around would accept that it ran Win32 applications at all. "Oh no, everything's full screen now, I can't run multiple windows, what's the point" - really? Then you're a fucking idiot. Try clicking "desktop".

Complaint through pig-ignorance. Disgusting.

4
6
dogged

> Remind me again why I should migrate away from a perfectly acceptable Windows 7 x64 Ultimate --- With Patch Tuesday support... Conceivably until the 14th, of January 2020 anyway. For something that doesn't? Prudy Start Menu's, and Metro Tiles be damned?!

Remind me again where anything in this article or comment thread says you should upgrade?

Oh, it doesn't? And you're just throwing shit around like a confused monkey?

Fine.

5
9
dogged

which is presumably why sales were up.

Alternatively, you're just reading your own opinions into things where they aren't actually there.

5
5

Windows 10 on Mobile under the scope: Flaws, confusion, and going nowhere fast

dogged

You're responding to "Bob Vistakin", AC. Anything "Bob" can do or say to make it look like Microsoft has failed at anything, he will do. Look at his posting history. He's not keen on Apple either but he really has the knives out for Microsoft, even to the point of continually telling lies about Bing copying Google's search results.

Either "Bob" is the single biggest Google fanboy on the entire planet or he makes a living from encouraging people to use Google via FUD. Or he's an Android malware writer, but that wouldn't explain the hate for Azure.... nah, it's fanboy or marketing drone. No other conceivable option.

So please, don't bother with reason or logic. Even facts won't bother "Bob", he's actually happier with outright bullshit.

* You could make the case that Bing is copying Google but in design and subsidiary software, not search results. This whole thing was just proof that the Bing toolbar works exactly the same way as the Google toolbar. Personally I strongly advice against all browser toolbars. They all spy on you. Much like everything else Google does, actually.

17
14
dogged

unfinished mobile OS is unfinished.

Film at 11.

19
8

Nigerian prince swaps the sweet talk for keyloggers and exploits

dogged

Re: non english-speaking countries?

head asplode icon plz

3
0

べーコンはどこですか? demands post-pub nosh fan

dogged

Here's one for you.

That's a chicken, cheese and bourbon and bacon jam wrap, where the wrap is not some wishy-washy tortilla, it's Serrano ham. Invented by the legend* that is Martin Cowley.

*for the ignorant, Martin is the bloke who told that pissy Scots git on Dragon's Den to go fuck himself.

1
0

Greece? Zzzz. EU bank says TWEETING can move the stock market

dogged

Re: Is this how it's done?

We should probably try it.

Pick a stock, every commentard twots out some drivel like "investing today! #bullishOnStockWeChoseAtRandom" - with the swapped out variable, of course - and see what happens.

Don't even need to buy that stock - in fact, for science it's probably better not to since the rush of small buys might itself lead to a following market, thus screwing up the twerting as prime cause.

3
0

Apple Watch is such a flop it's the world's top-selling wearable

dogged

Re: @Frank Bough

> I wonder how many of the readers here have Breitling, Tag Heuer, Rolex or other luxury or artisan watches that make my 12 year old £40 Sekonda or my £25 Zeon tech backup look positively ordinary!

Well, I've got my dad's Jaeger leCoultre but that's 60 years old and probably makes your Sekonda look like rocket science.

Nice watch, though. Never loses time.

0
0
dogged

Re: Who actually wears a watch anymore? And why?

>I think the world consists of people who don't wear a watch, and cannot conceive that anyone else would, and people who do wear a watch, and cannot conceive that anyone else wouldn't, actually.

I disagree. I think the divide is "people who don't wear a watch and cannot conceive that anyone else would" and "people who do wear a watch".

I don't much care if you prefer to go for the pocketwatch phone option. That's your business. My watch is my business and you don't get to criticize it.

6
1
dogged

Re: Who actually wears a watch anymore? And why?

I do. Glancing at my wrist is much quicker than fishing my phone out of my pocket.

And because I've been wearing a watch since long before mobile phones were a thing and it's a convenience I don't want to be rid of. The "phone as watch" thing is basically a regression to a particularly large, ugly and annoying form of pocket watch. Not for me.

15
0

Windows 10 Edge: Standards kinda suck yet better than Chrome?

dogged

linux has many virtues but being high in fibre isn't one of them.

4
0
dogged

Re: "IE fans"

No.

In general MS products do not have fans (XBox seems to be the exception). They're just things you use to do stuff with.

This seems impossible to grasp for those who have declared affection for other tech manufacturers or advertising bureaux but it's true. MS doesn't have fans beyond some frankly rather embarrassing idiots on wpcentral. I know that frustrates them but it's true.

Could be worse though, Satya. You could be universally despised (note - the Reg's comment boards do not count as "universal"). Like Oracle.

5
4
dogged

> In fact, the new browser called Vivaldi

Is actually a fancy shell on an old browser called "WebKit" which uses hundreds of proprietary extensions and is the single biggest danger of browser monoculture.

There, fixed that for you.

Vivaldi is also shit and highly crashy. You forgot to mention that, AC.

21
3
dogged

Re: Strange advert....

Google Play. Functionality has been shifted away from "Android" and into Google Play continuously since Gingerbread. It's almost as if Google have decided that open source was a bad idea.

7
5
dogged

Re: Strange advert....

> It is not opensource, so it cannot be trusted.

Neither is most of Android. Your point?

17
10
dogged
Meh

Re: The king is dead !

With your absolute knowledge of the future, can you give me Friday's Euromillions numbers?

17
4
dogged

You say that but you're on the Register. Here, everything from war in the Middle East to a slightly uncomfortable bowel movement is viewed as MS's fault and grounds for a move to linux.

39
7
dogged

What Edge doesn't do is implement CSS with "-webkit-" prefixes. If anything has embraced and extended web standards, it's WebKit.

Mozilla and MS (with Edge) are the only things preventing it from extinguishing them.

Like the first commenter, I'm not switching until there are equivalents of AdBlock, NoScript and Ghostery - I'll stick with Firefox until that happens.

After it happens (since Edge supports a plug-in architecture, it will happen), I might well switch. Some ad-hoc testing in a Win10 VM indicates that it's orders of magnitude faster in use than either Chrome or Firefox (although to be fair, this may be because there are no plugins).

27
4

Here's why Whittingdale kicked a subscription BBC into the future

dogged

Re: Need an opt out

> I want the option to not pay anything, and throw the TV in the bin.

You already have that option.

6
1

WHOA! Windows 10 to be sold on USB drives – what a time to be alive

dogged

Re: NOT to worry

Good of you to put your name to that prediction, AC.

3
1

Time for a brutal TELLY-OFF: Android TV versus Firefox OS

dogged

Cool.

It's really nice to see FirefoxOS getting things right.

11
1

Thanks for open sourcing .NET say Point of Sale villains

dogged

It runs on linux too.

Embrace, Extend, EmsomethingRegCommenterswillinevitablytrotout

3
3

Your security is just dandy, Apple Pay, but here comes Android

dogged
Stop

We get it, you like Apple.

Apple Pay will still fail everywhere outside Starbucks.

9
6

Sod the law! We'll crack on with our metadata witchhunts, growl cops

dogged

Re: And we're to trust them with facial recognition tech?

> Couple a police force with a flagrant disregard for privacy and a disdainful attitude to the public they are supposed to serve with a government (any party) who've a penchant for creating nebulous, ill-defined laws (especially laws targeting abstract concepts) and we'll all be potentially guilty of thought crime.

I'm interested - why have you used the future tense instead of the present?

9
1

Microsoft to Windows 10 consumers: You'll get updates LIKE IT or NOT

dogged

Re: THE SKY IS FALLING!

> I wonder why people keep saying you should just install Linux......

You misspelled "I wonder why I keep saying you should just install Linux......"

And the answer is because you don't actually do anything productive with a computer.

4
15
dogged

Re: THE SKY IS FALLING!

@Mad Mike -

Give it a rest. WSUS still works on Windows 10. It's not as if it's an expensive solution either, given the total cost of, er, free. And if you happen to be a home user, well a) you should have automatic updates turned on anyway b) updates can be rolled back seamlessly and c) if you don't keep backups, the problem exists between keyboard and chair.

Call the Waaaaaaahmbulance or alternatively, run another clickbait article for fucktards like hplasm to flick one off over.

9
30
dogged

Re: I went and saw if there was anything about WSUS and Windows 10

Stop it! Stop actually looking things up and basing your reaction on actual information!

Didn't you know THE SKY IS FALLING AND ALL THE WINDOWS INSTALLS YOU DON'T HAVE BECAUSE EVERYONE HERE USES LINUX WILL EXPLODE IN MASSIVE FIREBALLS?

Honestly, some people.

5
21
dogged

> 1) that's borked any chance of the NHS ever adopting Win10

because no way would the NHS run an enterprise version with a service agreement, oh no, they'll buy individual licenses for Win10 Home edition.

Or that's the view from Planet WhatTheFuckAreYouSmoking anyway.

10
8

Forums