Feeds

* Posts by dogged

3333 posts • joined 16 Nov 2009

Preview redux: Microsoft ships new Windows 10 build with 7,000 changes

dogged
Silver badge

@M Gale

That line was from the wind-up post with the trollface.

Nobody except pirithous took it seriously.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Windows 10 ?

> If you don't believe me open a command window and type ver on Windows 7 or 8. Spot the difference? Is Microsoft the only company to call its software by a different version number to what it actually is?

You're referring to the kernel version and every linux distro is far in excess of the linux kernel, the answer to your question is a resounding "no".

And /ver doesn't work in Win8 but thanks for playing.

2
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Allegedly

That's basically the problem although if you've managed to install .NET on Win95 you're some kind of sick genius.

4
0
dogged
Silver badge

I see a lot of "everyone knows" and "it's all over the internet" from you cited as evidence but please try to remember that consensus doesn't mean you're right. It just means that a lot of people agree with you.

A lot of people believe in angels.

11
2
dogged
Silver badge

Re: No no children

> So why not take the time to answer the poins (yes some are verging on rants) before gettin abusive.

Because mine was a new comment entirely unrelated to the troll's and not posted in reply. Therefore I feel no impetus to answer the troll's points, regardless of their merit or otherwise.

Let it rant and pass it by, hopefully we can have a civilized discussion, was my thought. The immediate attack in an unrelated post, however, makes that sadly unlikely.

5
1

This post has been deleted by a moderator

dogged
Silver badge

Adding Battery Saver and Data sense is an interesting move - handy for corporate laptops with data sims.

4
1

Microsoft promises Windows 10 will mean two-factor auth for all

dogged
Silver badge

Re: What about apps I develope

Obviously, or testing would be impossible.

Duh.

5
3

Microsoft to enter the STRUGGLE of the HUMAN WRIST

dogged
Silver badge
FAIL

Somebody didn't read the article.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

> we'll wager Redmond would like to wipe it from the collective memory forever.

Why? It did what it was meant to do. It worked. There just wasn't any point to it. The engineers did as requested so they can be pleased with it. Management? Not so much.

4
0

Doctor Who and the Dalek: 10-year-old tests BBC programming game

dogged
Silver badge

Re: hold on...

@Lusty - upvoted for the idea of fewer project managers. That's always going to help productivity.

I seem to be unpopular with the 14 programmers who couldn't bear to leave VB behind today.

1
5
dogged
Silver badge

Re: hold on...

> Maybe we should give toddlers oil paints then rather than wax crayons.

reductio ad absurdam doesn't help your argument and fails in any case. There's nothing wrong with crayon art. There is no reason why something done with crayons can't be worth millions or why crayons couldn't be used to design something that changes the world.

What you're not going to do is write a program that changes the way the world thinks about anything in Pascal. You'll bin it. You will waste idea after idea on a dead language.

It's like suggesting that kids should write all their essays in Saxon English rendering them effectively worthless for the future.

0
16
dogged
Silver badge

Re: hold on...

This is the same reasoning that forced kids to learn Latin (and I should know because I had to) which was eventually discarded as an absolute waste of time.

It's a different waste of time if it's code, is it? A useful waste of time? "Oh, we're teaching them to think?"

Fuck that. Teach them something you can use and make actual things that don't suck with. Then they will make actual things.

Pascal is electronic Batik.

1
17
dogged
Silver badge

Re: hold on...

Because it's wasted knowledge. You will literally never use it outside of education.

I wouldn't teach Java either. It only just got lambdas, for christ's sake. As for working sensibly with an expando equivalent - forget it.

I can't recommend python because I don't know it and have never felt the urge to learn it. It might be perfect or it might just be something that people who are bad at C++ like to tell me is wonderful. I try not to judge.

2
8
dogged
Silver badge

hold on...

Is this thing using some kind of graphical logic loop or is it using VB?

I'd be cautious about teaching kids VB as a starter language. It can create some horrible syntactic habits in older programmers, god knows what case-ignorance and polymorphism without inheritance could do to kids.

Which brings us on to thinking about what might be a good starter language for kids (or anyone). Not Javascript, not even just the "good" parts. It's incoherent and inconsistent. Not C, not C++, not C# - there's too much scope for writing horrible code without a commitment to best practise and understanding testing and refactoring. Not bloody Pascal. Ew. So what does that leave?

F#? .... actually, you could do a lot worse. It'd be good for their maths skills too.

1
19

'Cowardly, venomous trolls' threatened with TWO-YEAR sentences for menacing posts

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Baldy, Baldy, Bastard...

Careful, oh liker of crisps.

That might have been interpreted as sarcasm.

3
1
dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: Nothing to do with "free speech"

> What is not acceptable is abusing and making threats to harm/rape/kill someone because you disagree with them.

Which is why we already have laws against it. No new ones required.

17
0

Apple's new iPADS have begun the WAR that will OVERTURN the NETWORK WORLD

dogged
Silver badge

Re: No More Burners

I'd go with "until" rather than unless, but your point is well made.

And I'm sure the Powers That Be will wholeheartedly support such an arrangement.

2
0

AMD pays new CEO $150K LESS than her male predecessor

dogged
Silver badge

Re: In this thread

It would be sexism if AMD had said "she's only a woman so we're paying her less".

As it is, they've promoted internally and are in a layoff round. Hiring cheaper only makes sense.

4
0

Microsoft, Docker bid to bring Linux-y containers to Windows: What YOU need to know

dogged
Silver badge
Stop

Re: @AC - Windows 10 vs. Linux

> Or at least PCs not infected with SecureBoot

fuck me, not this FUD again. SecureBoot is a UEFI feature, not an MS technology. In order to get Windows certification, you must be able to switch it off.

The only MS-based devices where you cannot switch it off are SurfaceRT tablets and big fucking deal, you can't install linux on an iPad either.

Stop it. Just stop it. It's gone beyond stupid and way into the realm of deliberate lies now.

2
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Embrace. Extend. Extinguish.

> and leaked documents

from 20 years ago. Do get with the times.

5
9
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Hmmmm....

How do you come to that conclusion? It's not as if MS have bought Docker. And if you have a linux container it simply won't work on a Windows VM so they'd be generating bad press and support-load if they were to create the wrong VM.

There's sensible paranoia and there's being a bloody idiot. Try to aim for the former.

4
1

iPad AIR 2 and iPad MINI 3, 5K iMac: World feels different today – and it IS

dogged
Silver badge

Re: 2GB GPU to drive a 5k display?

The issue I imagine is not about the memory buffer but rather about the choice of GPU. The Radeon 290X runs hot as all fuck and this means your shiny new ultra-slim pretty iMac is either going to double up as a hotplate/fan heater or sound like a 767 taking off over your head.

No thanks.

1
2

Watersports-friendly e-reader: Kobo's Aura H2O is literary when wet

dogged
Silver badge

> It is hard to know what kind of punter is going to opt for a top of the range waterproof e-reader over a tablet

Me. I get the train to work with a long walk at either end, often in the rain, and I'm forever worried about it soaking my Kindle.

12
0

Is living with Dolby Atmos worth the faff?

dogged
Silver badge
Headmaster

Surely "fractally"?

0
0

Aboard the GOOD SHIP LOLLIPOP, there's a Mobe and a Slab and a TELLYBOX

dogged
Silver badge

The first smartphone to run Android 5.0 will be the Nexus 6 phablet, built by Google subsidiary Motorola.

Ummmm no.

3
12

Windows 10: Forget Cloudobile, put Security and Privacy First

dogged
Silver badge

Re: If I have paid for the software, Microsoft should not collect any data at all

> You object to Google using your information in order to personalise your experience, but you don't mind Microsoft taking it... when they don't even have an excuse to take it.

au contraire I most certainly do mind. Which is why I run WSUS in a W2K12 server VM at home and do not allow windows boxes in the house to use Windows Update directly.

Don't presume to tell me what I do and don't mind.

0
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: If I have paid for the software, Microsoft should not collect any data at all

> I don't tell Google what software I have installed

You do if you use their OS.

> I don't tell Amazon where else I shop or what I buy there

Tracking. It's a thing.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Enforced career changes

Probably. Can you code? My inbox is always heaving with pimps offering contracts these days.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: What would happen if

> It's probably also SSL/TLS encrypted and uses the same channels as the update system, meaning breaking the spyware also breaks your update system, leaving you open to malware attack.

ONLY if it's intended for use in the long term. Otherwise there's no reason why it should be.

0
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Many of us are forced to use MS Software

The ribbon is fine. What are you, a secretary? You memorized every option in a bloody word processor? You count beans with your spreadsheet? You shit on humanity with your Powerpoints?

Then I don't know what you are but you are not an IT pro.

Note that there is no ribbon in Visual Studio and it only exists in applications used by people who don't do IT.

Personally, I quite like it. It means when I am forced to write a spec document I don't need a fucking map to find "indent".

0
4
dogged
Silver badge

Re: rant-like journalism

I have a short attention span (with periods of hyperfocus during which I will forget everything else (code marathons happen) but sadly amphetamine just makes me twitchy, inclined to talk bollocks at high speed and susceptible to dance music or mundane household chores. Not compatible with work, in other words.

Some people just have busy brains.

0
0

ONE MILLION people already running Windows 10

dogged
Silver badge

Heavily Snoped already.

I'd need something that hasn't been disproven by damn nearly every security researcher.

4
1
dogged
Silver badge
FAIL

> I wonder if Windows 10 will include the universal back door (which exists in 8.x)

[citation needed]

3
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Phoenix50 the Microsoft Troll

While we're talking posting histories, a quick glance at yours (it's only two pages, which is a relief) indicates that you have never posted anything on the Register except your eternal hate for Microsoft.

Never. Every single post has been about how Microsoft and one or more of its products is shit. Without exception.

That's unusual. Is it financially rewarding?

8
1
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Phoenix50 the Microsoft Troll

Not to mention that kind of personal attack being drastically against the House Rules.

I suspect - based on deletions - that this poster has been reporting people for disagreeing with him, too.

5
1
dogged
Silver badge

> Are you really that dense? Wow.

My potential density is not a reason.

5
4
dogged
Silver badge

What possible reason (other than that you don't like Microsoft) could there be for it to be a lie? Seriously, what possible reason?

8
4

This post has been deleted by a moderator

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Docker's app containers are coming to Windows Server, says Microsoft

dogged
Silver badge

> DevOps is a good model when your Devs also have some Ops skills

and vice versa. Otherwise I agree. Upvoted.

2
1

Done with Microsoft and Adobe patches? Good, here's Oracle's load

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Its that Tuesday time of the month again.

Looks like your Windows 7 update is not a Windows 7 update but an Office update.

These two things are not one thing.

I expect they could be but if they were then various people would complain.

0
0

Bono apologises for iTunes album dump

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Just a drop?

> Actually, comparing U2 to religion is not that much of a stretch . . .

It's interesting that they chose to join up with the Apple cultists, then.

3
0
dogged
Silver badge

Re: Vote

Sting, surely?

11
0

Don't wait for that big iPad, order a NEXUS 9 instead, industry little bird says

dogged
Silver badge

Re: L stands for ?

Lozenge.

0
0

Lights off, nappies on! It's Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within

dogged
Silver badge

Re: That's weird.

That line is still there, I note.

0
0

Influential scribe Charles Petzold: How I figured out the Windows API

dogged
Silver badge

Re: Good for windows, bad for programming

Those guys all write JavaScript now, to judge from the code I keep seeing.

6
0
dogged
Silver badge

His rates do go some way toward explaining their insane prices.

1
3
dogged
Silver badge

"Windows Programming Foundation"

wat

0
0

Greedy datagrabs, crap security will KILL the Internet of Thingies

dogged
Silver badge

Re: A few points

I never wanted a camera on my phone.

*shrug*

0
0