352 posts • joined 27 Aug 2009
Re: Clarifications anyone?
Simply because they don't know!
Just like TESCO doesn't know what hormones were injected in beef, similarly, Telstra has no practical way of knowing if its installed on any of the OEM phones or not. They are saying - "we don't install or use it. Don't flood our call centers".
But are they legally responsible in case their phones are found to be using it ? I don't know... I suppose they might be on thin ice there if the phones they sell turn out to be collecting data illegally.
Its obviously a word play on the "chown" command. And actually a little bit funny as it says "pwn(pawn)" instead of "own". It gets funnier if you realize that he is a hacker.. implying he doesn't "own" your files.. just "pawns" them. etc.
Re: At last
At last ? At last ?? Now you tell me!!!!!!!
Re: Longer legs
Thanks god, its your legs which are short - coz there is no bone in a boner.
Paris, coz she can debone even the most bone headed.
So Google's strategy IS working...
They have 3 browsers - Firfox, Chrome (happens to be in house) and Opera eating away from microsoft... effectively ending M$ monopoly on the road which leads to Google Mall.
Re: you're right
No first hand experience, but apparently Unity runs fine on Mint! LOL! :)
Paris, coz if she dilds it, they will c'm!
Supposedly Office is run as a separate business within Microsoft.
But if it was *truly* an independent business it would have done that long ago, along with an ubuntu/linux version.
In future (or even today?), M$ will no longer have a total monopoly on consumer computing devices. If M$ BUs have to survive they need to look beyond Windows as a platform. Azure, xbox, office - they all need to expand their market. Does IBM storage work with only mainframes ? No. They work fine with Linux and HP-UX. Why ? Because they are separate businesses within IBM and they don't want to be stifled.
Having a common denominator sometimes makes sense when sharing a technology can cut R&D costs.. (using IBM example again: like use of PowerPC in all IBM servers which shreas the R&D cost.). But keeping windows as a common platform is not helping office that much (agreed maintaining closeness to 1 platform is easy.. but once they had a port on Mac, they effectively disassociated with the underling OS and they can do it again).
Paris, coz she likes freedom of keeping what's underneath her.
That picture did offfer a tip to she-techs..
or rather 2 tips.
If you can't invite everybody...
...very soon the ones you invited will be "everybody"!
See/Read concept car reviews much ?
I think GLONASS is a good name...
"Glowin' Ass" for a rocket is shurely a picture of a successful rocket launch!
Re: those are micro cars, not a mini car.
There is a nano somewhere too...
(spawn of satan icon, coz it looks like a car, if squit your eyes a little).
Were we supposed to take some stance on this "issue" ?
"... article is whole-heartedly in favour of space exploration..."
Paris, coz she knows what stance she'll be taking.
X-Men : Revenge of the Arials.
Starring: Pimply Zucks who is obviously a mal-aria resistant mutant.
> I'm not making this up, it happens all the time.
Never happened to me - I am guessing we move in different circles ;-)
Though I used to see a lot of "sent from my iphone" mails earlier -which was, of course, auto generated.
I think @nonesuch meant the fanboi wars on this forum, me thinks.. and beat me to it!
The gaming industry would benefit from it in the short run.
That's just a "useful" side effect, eh ?
Probably Google secretly hopes...
... that this deal would be denied!
And I thought he was the News.
Paris, coz she makes her own material.
Cox Talks Pro Bono, Anachrono Neutrino is a No No.
Maybe Paris can go back in time and make a lesbian tape with herself ?
Girl, we found your Doggy!!!
Your doggy had a reincarnation. In its new life it is living as a trouser snake, permanently attached to a handsome human host. You will find your host at "room 212, El Cheapo Motel, GoodSmaritan blvd". Please go there and you are free to play with your chihuahua in his current life as much as you want. We do not expect any reward for this information.
PS: In this new life as a snake trouser, it may not be content with just sitting on your lap or licking your face, but we understand you'll honour its new wishes as well and love him as much you loved him in his previous form
Groupon Gets Grief for Giving Juggs Growth Goodies.
Paris, time for her to get some.
I thought you were in Jamaica feasting on tender lamb ?
I was angry at netflix
But, to be honest, I don't want Netflix to fail. Its still the best online streaming deal on the web in terms of platform and content.
Other options (many US-only):
- Hulu: 2nd best but even after taking my money, it shows a lot of ads. Hangs when streaming via my blue ray player and I can't seek to the money shot without honoring all the ad stops. :-(
- Crackle: Better than hulu in terms of skipping ad-stops but the content selection or video quality ain't as good. But they don't charge like hulu for non-PC devices.
- imdb: (yes they have free movies @ imdb, paid ones at amazon. One way to get to the link to all free movies is: search for "intimacy" at imdb and then you'll figure out the rest) - But anything decent is on amazon obviously. Maybe imdb app v2 will allow streaming in future.
- youtube/vimeo/amazon(paid)/etc: payper view movie selection. It works out only if you are an infrequent TV watcher. Free movies on youtube are truly pathetic, AFAICT.
- cbs.com: PC only. Only recent episodes. low quality video. ads. But you can see some popular TV shows for free here.
- Xfinity/HBO/etc: you need a regular cable subscription for these. Worth the money only if your fav show are here.
Paris, coz her tape demonstrated that people do have patience for huge media files over sluggish connections if they want the content
Google not throwing money at cool stuff ?
Why what happened ? Did they blow their pocket money somewhere else ???
Paris, coz she blows what's next to pocket money.
@amanfromMars 2 & @Goat Jam
For enterprise/datacenter products, up/downvotes are much lower than consumer products. This AC got 6 downvotes - thats quite high (even though it was a somewhat dumb post), seen on iphone/android kind of discussions, where everyone has a strong opinion on the smallest of issues. (Granted a pure iFan can easily draw downvotes in 3 digits... but 6 downvotes is still quite high here).
And Goat Jam got 2 downvotes merely for posting a question.... which sounds like s/he might onto something!! So I am tending towards Goat Jam's point here; though probably we need to watch some more before drawing absolute conclusions.
If Whitman really was Gestner...
...eBay would have been an Amazon today. Sorry - she is more like another Carly with a dial up on brains, and a dial down on guts. HP has its work cut out - but its still not in "the mood" yet... listen to VPs and you'll know what I am saying.
post dotcom bust
Yeah, after dotcom bust, I stopped booking flights & hotels on internet. Stopped looking for deals on amazon or ebay. Stopped using internet based maps. In fact I don't use google search at all... I have a collection of yellow pages books from around the world and I can pretty much find anything in the world. I see all new movies in theaters now or wait for cable.
From tomorrow I will stop using email as well.. its too "internetly".
PS: Understanding the sentiment behind Buffet's statements is more important than following them like word of god.
(3) Being a platform and sharing income with apps. After advertising that's the next highest contributor for facebook. (FB revenue will be close to half a billion from zynga itself in 2011).
Not for her pics as much as for the (slightly NSFW) link to Helen Flanagan pix at the bottom of her story....
Its time for western folk to lift our "burden", again.
Our fellow men would never do something so stooopid...( Hatred for 666 or 13 have some geniune cultural reasons after all). And after all what's wrong with being called a pimp anyway ? Don't those Afghans over-decorate their cows and worship them ? (Or.. err was that Hindus?). Whatever. Anyway, those unwashed, uneducated folks need to educated in western ways. They should not waste time hating harmless stuff like pimping... which is not a major crime in west anyway. Some Hollywood pimps are celebrities, even. Learn, Afghans, learn from us. (superiorly yours).
Re: Of course I do
> That's why I use Google+ to sociallise with like-minded people
> that are smart enough to judge a system on it's features rathe
Good luck having sex with them!
You didn't have to out me like that!
> Oh, so it's really that's 1 active user with a brain and something constructive to say then.
In Soviet Russia
the far side of the moon sees you in full colour.
But who is the chick ?
Re: What's the difference?
dead animals can feed the poor.
One simple trick that this article misses.
1) If you are being hired as a dev, God Complex is important. Mak the bean counters realise that they are lucky to have him.
2) If you spot a loser in the panel, and put him down (be subtle). Everyone else would see you as a winner. If you spotted the loser correctly, his vote wouldn't count anyway.
3) If you are a dev, show as little inclination to learn about the corporate strategies, management etc. (don't ignore the customers though, show a passing interest).
4) Don't stare down the blouse of a female interviewer. Unless you intend to get laid instead of hired. I know a guy who slept (about a month later) with the HR at a company he wasn't hired.. presumably for being flirtly during the HR round.
5) Always be willing to write code during interview, even if they are not particularly interested at the moment.
Call me a stubborn idiot..
.. but after so much time (year plus?), I still find it hard to digest (instantly) that Oracle has anything to do with processor design. :)
(Even though they have manufactured NC in past - designed from grounds up sans processor).
So motorola did make money for its shareholders, eh ?
What was everyone cribbing about then ?
... maybe the coeds are not shagging guys that often compared to 10 years back ? Thus making condom use less frequent.
Instead of "exciting activities"...
....how about some relaxing activities ? Like a massage and a happy ending ?
(thumb icon in lieu of the palm).
@Dave Murray: You are trolling, right ??
While this is a UK website and no one really cares about democrats vs republicans here; but you surely know that commentards on a tech site would be educated enough to LOL/scoff at your rhetoric ?
1) No "a illegal alient" - "An illegal alien"
2) Not "muslim" - "Muslim".
3) Not "a racists" - "a racist"
4) Not "a comunist" - "a communist".
5) Not "drinikin' " - "drinkin' "
(My guess is that you like the American party which intends to reduce the education budget ?).
"it tastes like some passing cat has pee'd on it."
Maybe the vendor at your workplace has a personal "interpretation" of Kopi Luwak.
(Meaning it actually has cat pee ?).
Re: Your house number
> Do you routinely cover up your house name and number
But looks like you had the need to post as anon cow ?
Share buy back implies that company has money and doesn't know what to do with it, so it is reinvesting in itself. IMO, it shows lack of creativity. And, non-intuitively a lack of self belief as well (otherwise money could be invested internally to expand future revenue/margins).
- Share buyback is something that should be done ONLY when company has some decent long term tricks up its sleeve + equity market has bottomed out + market conditions are too volatile to invest in R&D. I remember HP did a share buyback just before the housing meltdown - whadda bummer that was!!
- IBM probably believes that market has bottom'd out - but I don't think they have any significant long term strategy up their sleeve that market can't see. So its just an "okay" decision, if not a "bad" one.
- IMO, instead of sharebuyback, that kindov money is better spent in oiling your wheels. Eg:
(1a) buy out a vendor who is overcharging you. Or give cash advance to its rivals so they can stand up on their feet. (1b) Give deep discounts to customers who have a future but a short on cash to to market situation.
(2) train your employees where customer satisfaction is low (especially if you are a services industry).
(3) invest in infrastructure that brings down your long term cost.
(4) IBM could've put some money in the fund starved research labs. Rival HP has memristor up their sleeve... what does IBM have ?
(5) buy shares for ESOPs - if the market is low.
(6) Invest in Universities which produce your kindov manpower.
(7) Invest in employee care.. (better maternity, health policies etc. If you are man power driven, you don't want your core to be dissatisfied).
I guess these multi-billion dollar companies get my point and in future they will consult me before doing such a dump move. ;-)
As far a buffet's philosophy goes... Buffet doesn't demand either way. He just invests and sits - (almost) never interferes with execution. (There have been odd exceptions over the years but otherwise he is a more copybook kindov "investor").
On the question of should Big Blue breakup into tiny blue balls ? How - one would ask ? It's an IT services giant which at times peddles its own hardware/software. It already amputated the sore PC division. Its software and hardware pieces are simply captive manufacturing, sitting pretty behind the services umbrella. Those pieces are high margin internally... but simply wouldn't survive outside the umbrella and no one would buy those divisions, even if IBM wanted to sell them. So those fears of 90s when IBM was still peddling boxes of various sizes is no longer relevant. The new scare should be - will IBM cut its cost so much that it stops being effective ? That's the biggest risk IBM runs, if it continues to outsource to low cost geographies like it did in last 5 years. Investors demand profit margins and services business offers only so much in terms of increase in efficiency... but as history has witnessed that continuous cost cutting never works out in the long run.
Am I part of the shift ?
Or am I the idiot who falls for the fad ??..... My tablet is a laptop replacement - to do casual browsing on the sofa while watching telly...... My laptop (shared with the lady) is actually a PC replacement - 17inch and whatnot. Hard to curl up with while slouching on Sofa...... My PC (for work) is actually a server running Ubuntu with several VMs......So actually I no longer own a generic PC anymore like I did a decade before.
(I understand that the biz part of PC makers bundles PC & laptop revenues).
Paris, coz she was a fad thats fading.
- Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge
- Did Apple's iOS make you physically SICK? Try swallowing version 7.1
- Neil Young touts MP3 player that's no Piece of Crap
- Review Distro diaspora: Four flavours of Ubuntu unpacked
- Pics Indestructible Death Stars blow up planets using glowing KILL RAY