7 posts • joined 27 Jul 2009
"Various alternatives were discussed, including a Scandinavian model where public service TV is paid for via personal income tax rather than a "poll tax" flat fee - a fairer arrangement, since the richer pay more"
How is paying different amounts for the same content fairer?
Re: anti-piracy ads
Also, non-skippable trailers.
If I've bought the DVD why should I be forced to watch trailers for other movies? Surely this just encourages people to download an illegal copy that doesn't include the trailers, so they're harming themselves as well as alienating their customers. The arrogance of the media companies is astonishing.
Why? The moon's already made of cheese
How do google plan to roll out a fix? Will it involve patching handsets?
I have a Samsung I7500 Galaxy (is there a Samsung product that doesn't contain the word Galaxy in it?!) but it's still on Android 1.5 because Samsung refuse to update it. If some kind of update to handsets is required I'll certainly not get it.
Anyone know how the ballot screen will work in a multi user setup. My home machine has 3 users configured, two of which have Firefox as the default browser, and one with IE. Will just the IE user be prompted to change browser or will none of the users be asked?
I recently got a Galaxy, not because of an irrational hatred of the iPhone but because I want to write apps for my own personal use and I don't have a mac. Generally I like the Galaxy and didn't expect it to get an update to 2.0 (though it would be nice!) but it seems to have been rushed out despite the delays. These are the issues I've had so far:
1) APs not setup out of the box so web browsing, email and MMS didn't work initially
2) The software supplied on the included CD doesn't work with the Galaxy, it won't update the firmware either
3) The only way to update the firmware is by taking it to a Samsung service centre. When I contacted my nearest one they said they couldn't guarantee to do it while I waited so it was better to leave it with them for 24 hours. Even better they couldn't give me a replacement phone in the meantime. How many people can afford to be without their mobile phone for 24 hours, especially when it's needed for work?
4) The Market icon is missing from the menu meaning that I can't install additional apps (I know it's possible using the SDK and the app's apk file but they can't honestly expect Joe public to do this). After Googling it seems that the firmware update may fix this but Samsung support couldn't confirm this and since I can't get the firmware update at the moment anyway (see above) it's a moot point.
Despite this I do quite like the phone but maybe I've just had really bad ones in the past. It does worry me though that manufacturers won't update these phones and that many new apps won't be available because they've been written for a newer version of android. I had assumed that since the Galaxy runs vanilla android it would actually be more likely to get an update than the customised HTCs, how wrong I was.
Vbv Joint Account
Myself and my wife have a joint account with a Visa debit and credit card. The VbV system is too stupid to know if it's me or my wife making the payment thereby requiring me to remember both my wife's and my own passwords so that I can successfully complete the transaction depending on whichever account it randomly decides needs to verify it.
And to repeat what has already been said, how can doing this in an iframe and being able to reset the password by entering a dob possibly be secure enough to absolve the banks of all responsisbility for fraud.
What a joke.
- Nokia: Read our Maps, Samsung – we're HERE for the Gear
- Ofcom will not probe lesbian lizard snog in new Dr Who series
- Episode 9 BOFH: The current value of our IT ASSets? Minus eleventy-seven...
- Too slow with that iPhone refresh, Apple: Android is GOBBLING up US mobile market
- Kaspersky backpedals on "done nothing wrong, nothing to fear" company article