3 posts • joined 11 Sep 2006
Re: Eye Spy with My Raspberry Pi
The Pi is quite fussy about what webcam it will work with (see http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Webcams), so it probably won't work. As posted before, the performance you get with a usb webcam is woeful (think 3fps), so this new camera module is a god-send (for those wanting to create camera-based projects)
Firmware updates? Dream on......
The chances of Netgear issuing further firmware updates is remote. I own the EVA700 and we had one official release of the firmware but that fixed none of the issues the unit had and quickly disappeared.
I for one won't be buying any more Netgear gear. They seem to ship the stuff out the door and never listen to their customers. Frequent requests for them to fix issues or at least give us a clue whether a new firmware would be released were left unanswered, even on their own forums.
But what about the noise?
Great review, but what it doesn't tell us is the ambient noise the thing makes (exluding the hard disk obviously). If you want one of these sitting next to your router in your living room, you need it to be as quiet as possible. The last time I considered buying one them they all seemed to be quite noisey.
- DAYS from end of life as we know it: Boffins tell of solar storm near-miss
- Put down that Oracle database patch: It could cost $23,000 per CPU
- Bose says today IS F*** With Dre Day: Beats sued in patent battle
- The END of the FONDLESLAB KINGS? Apple and Samsung have reason to FEAR
- Review Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid: The plug-in for plutocrats