Feeds

* Posts by Chris 3

532 posts • joined 10 Jul 2009

Page:

Microsoft left red-faced after DMCAs dished out to Windows bloggers

Chris 3

This is going to make the Minecraft community even more nervous.

... and they're already pretty nervous about what it means for all the game channels on Youtube.

4
1

'Bill Gates swallowing bike on a beach' is ideal password say boffins

Chris 3

Re: Not compatible

See also Virgin Media, where their passwords have to be something like more than 6 and less than 10 and don't allow spaces etc. Sigh.

9
0

Windows 10's 'built-in keylogger'? Ha ha, says Microsoft – no, it just monitors your typing

Chris 3

Re: Server Preview Fopah!

Its almost as if it's a really early preview and some boiler plate text and code has been left in there. Astonishing.

10
0
Chris 3

Re: Key Strikes Yes - Letters NO

Hmmm, I can see how it would be useful to (for example) capture strings that were typed into the help box, or into command lines.

4
0

Bonking with Apple has POUNDED mobe operators' wallets

Chris 3

Re: "operator-led NFC payments system"

Why, what's Apple done 'of late'?

2
0

Brit telcos warn Scots that voting Yes could lead to HEFTY bills

Chris 3

Re: Glostermeteor If they say yes...

I was pondering the fact that England might be able to stick with BST all year around, perhaps with double summertime?

7
2

Netflix releases home-grown DDoS detectors

Chris 3

All the news coverage of this story....

....should be generating plenty of false positives.

0
0

DNS cockup locks Virgin Media customers out of ntlworld.com email

Chris 3

Odd. been working all day here

... From what I can tell.

I have my own domain, but mails are forwarded to my old NTLWorld mailboxes. I haven't seen any disruption today at all, I don't think.

0
1

Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3

Chris 3

Re: Camera

Why? Because they have them with them, that's why - and don't feel the need to carry another piece of equipment.

7
1

The Register to boldly go where no Vulture has gone before: The WEEKEND

Chris 3

Re: An old friend

I seem to remember that it started out as an e-mail newsletter didn't it - pre-Web. Or am I wrong?

0
0

Canadian ISP Shaw falls over with 'routing' sickness

Chris 3

Re: The 512 BGP Routes problem, presumably?

Oops - quite so, thanks.

1
0
Chris 3

The 512 BGP Routes problem, presumably?

My guess is that this is a symptom of the Internet reaching 512 BGP routes today. I'm not a router expert, but as I understand it 512 is the default max size on some older routers. Shaw isn't the only one having some problems today.

4
0

Fiendishly complex password app extension ships for iOS 8

Chris 3

Re: Strong password to protect pictures of kittens.... WHY??!

Try Virginmedia's borked e-mail set-up - e-mail passwords, must be between 8 and 10 characters long, must start with a letter, cannot contain spaces. And apparently some word combinations are forbidden. Trying to generate something secure is horrendous.

0
0

BBC goes offline in MASSIVE COCKUP: Stephen Fry partly muzzled

Chris 3

Re: Oh come on

> Virgin leads a fine example of why this is not always the answer.

As does ITV Player.

2
0

20 years on: eWorld, Apple's spectacular online 'portal' failure

Chris 3

There was never any sense of a community there

... Which is why I stuck with CIX. Happy days.

1
1

AV for Mac

Chris 3

Re: AV for Mac

I suppose the first question that I should ask is - what are the symptoms and what makes you think it's malware? I've seen a few occasions when people have suspected malware and it turned out to be something else - so what is the machine doing?

4
0

TrueCrypt turmoil latest: Bruce Schneier reveals what he'll use instead

Chris 3

Re: So fork it

The most recent version also changes the license terms.

0
0

Mozilla agrees to add DRM support to Firefox – under protest

Chris 3

Re: What's wrong with it?

> 1. You have to pay for the content. There is a ton of free content on the Internet, I have never seen any need to go to pay per view sites.

Therefore you don't have to pay for content - no-one is forcing you to watch DRM'd content

> 2. You can only watch it on one computer. But I downloaded it on this computer and now I want to watch it on another one - not happening. Get your credit card out and pay for it again.

That depends entirely on the content owner and the way the content is licensed. You may be able to run it on multiple computers, but not simultaneously, or any number of computers on the same subnet, or.... the permutations are many. It's up to you to decide whether you like it or not. I don't like the DRM on iTunes movies, so never purchase from there. I'm fine with the DRM on Steam.

> 3. I downloaded this before my computer crashed. I rebuilt it, but now I can't play it. That's because the secret key is gone. Easily fixed, pay for it again.

Again, you're making assumptions about the way that DRM is implemented.

> 4. I saved it when I watched it last week and now it won't play. That's because it is time-bombed. Pay for it again.

Again, you're making assumptions about the way that DRM is implemented. This one is likely, but seriously - you have the choice not to buy it.

6
16

Apple pulls iPhone 4 from sale in India after just four months

Chris 3

Re: Inventory

Actually, I think you've hit upon the most plausible reason, there.

6
0

Most Americans doubt Big Bang, not too sure about evolution, climate change – survey

Chris 3

Possible problem with the questions, rather than Americans.

Much as a nice bit of America-bashing is fun? Don't the questions look a bit off to anyone else?

Am I sure that the universe began with a big bang well yes - or was it inflation?

Am I confident that it started 13.8bn years ago? Of course not. I know it's meant to be about 13, but if I was asked on the street whether it was 13.8 I would certainly say I was "Not at all confident".

How many of you would actually say you were confident, without looking it up?

20
6

Apple DOMINATES the Valley, rakes in more profit than Google, HP, Intel, Cisco COMBINED

Chris 3

Yes of course...

... the reason Apple products sell is because anyone who buys them are idiots. That must be the reason, obviously.

0
0

Just what could be inside Dropbox's new 'Home For Life'?

Chris 3

Marketing Slurry

My new favourite phrase. Well done.

4
0

Life support turned off: NHS Direct dies silent, undignified death

Chris 3

iI found it useful

When we had our first sprog, she had a number of illnesses and I have to say that NHS was remarkably helpful at 3am giving good pragmatic advice about whether to take her into A&E or wait until morning.

Sad to see it go.

1
0

GPs slam NHS England for poor publicity of data grab plan

Chris 3

No leaflet here

East London - nothing as far as I know.

0
0

Vultures circle to feast on carcass of free remote desktop service LogMeIn

Chris 3

Re: Hell hath no fury

The issue, as far as I was concerned was that I have 6 days to get an alternative installed on my 90 year old father's Mac. The notice was rather short.

9
0

Google stabs Wikipedia in the front

Chris 3

For me, the knowledge-graph snippets marked the point where Google became evil-ish, from a Website owner's point of view.

The social compact between Google and a site had always been simple. "If I set my robots file to let you in, Googe - you can index my content and link to it from your search results. You get to put ads on your Google home page, I get extra traffic to put ads and cross-promote other services on my site".

With the new system, however that compact is broken. The Web site no longer (necessarily) gets extra traffic. Instead Google is effectively screen-scraping content into its own database and presenting the information to its users directly.

While it may be convenient for Google's users, it's not healthy for the Web as a whole. The solution? Robots.txt needs to be extended so that in addition to the allow/don't allow directives Web site owners can state whether they are happy for information on the site to be excerpted.

10
1

No sign of Half-Life 3 but how about FOURTEEN Steam Machine makers?

Chris 3

Re: 65 million users, but all of them already have a PC with Steam installed

Some of us have Macs. (ducks)

To be honest, while I enjoy gaming in the office, if I could play TF2 or Left for Dead 2 or whatever on the big screen downstairs, I'd be tempted. Particularly as (for Valve titles at least) I wouldn't need to rebuy the software

4
0

BBC's 3D blunder BLASTED OUR BRAINS – Doctor Who fans

Chris 3

Re: "Tax" - really?

Sounds like you need to tune into Radio 4Extra, you can get all the broadcasts of The Navy Lark, Round The Horn and The Men From The Ministry you desire.,

5
0

GOV.UK swells organ donor signups by 10,000 a month

Chris 3

Re: trust me, I'm a healthcare professional

Hang on, that says that *your* wishes are pre-eminent, not your next of kin. What's wrong with that?

1
0

Ohh! The PRECIOUS! Give it to uss. We WANTS it: Shiny iThings coming in 2014

Chris 3

Re: re:we have devices made of the best

Since the last G3 iMacs were phased out over 10 years ago, that shows some remarkable longevity.

1
0

Digital radio may replace FM altogether - even though nobody wants it

Chris 3

Re: DAB Bashing

The Roberts DAB I have runs very happily for about 4 days of intensive listening on rechargable AAs, Personally I got DAB because I value the wider variety of stations - 6 Music and 4 Extra in particular. I also nipped down to Halfords and got one for the car.

1
0

Post-PC era? Post-MAC era! OS X Mavericks 'upgrade' ruins iWorks

Chris 3

Re: I'm getting uneasy

I left my wife's machine on 10.6.8 but I have to say this is the first upgrade since then that has made me tempted to upgrade it. 10.9 is a really nice OS and there really isn't much convergent UI going on.

0
0

Naughty Flash Player BURIED ALIVE in OS X Mavericks Safari sandbox

Chris 3

Re: Ummm, this isn't new...

You made me check and yes you're right and I'm wrong.. I made the incorrect assumption that when I saw the Flash plugin running as a separate process in Activity Monitor it was sandboxed.

I'll leave the original post just so this thread makes sense.

10
0
Chris 3

Ummm, this isn't new...

The Flash plugin has indeed been in its own sandbox since Lion... as sort hinted at in the article. I'm confused as to why this is news now.

2
0

Web daddy Tim Berners-Lee: DRMed HTML least of all evils

Chris 3

Re: He does have a point

"Your arguments, while seductive, are just plain wrong. It does not matter if J.K Rowling had it bad and now is a billionaire with copyright but would have just been sad without it "

Except that your original argument was that it didn't create wealth and only leachers benefited, so it does matter in that it destroys the credibility of your argument.

" It does not make the world a better place and hence it does not serve its function and hence should be withdrawn."

That's a bald assertion you make. For a world where authors and artists and composers are not payed by wealth patrons, but by people buying copies of their work, it clearly serves to help return money to the content creators. Is the system perfect? No. Are the ever-lengthening copyright periods detrimental yes. But you haven't yet proposed an alternative system for funding easily copyable creativity.

"The rent-seekers who profit from it, a handful of superstars and their heirs who profit, plenty of creative dupes who have no reasonable hope of profiting from it *ever*..."

... and of course all the small-time photographers who would see their work used, un-paid by the Daily Mail.

"There are very few 'inventions' that are very inventive and useful in the patent system. If there were, teams of us would be poring through patents looking for neat stuff. "

Which lots of people do. Again, is the patent system perfect? No it's become distorted and the quality of patent examination and awarding appears to be horrible. That doesn't mean that the entire patent system is without merit, just that the award of patents needs to be tightened up.

You might not like copyright and patents, but you've yet to make a sound case for them being abolished.

8
4
Chris 3

Re: He does have a point

> Patents and Copyrights do not create wealth. They destroy it. The only ones saying otherwise are the parasites who leach off the productivity of others.

Actually, there are really quite a lot of content creators rely on copyright to generate wealth for them, so clearly your assertion that "The only ones saying otherwise are the parasites who leach off the productivity of others" is clearly wrong.

Sorry if that spoils your clear and simple worldview.

10
7

Valve uncloaks prototype Steam Machine console specs

Chris 3

Re: asking for trouble

You make an interesting and reasonable point, however one thing Valve has going for it, is a tremendous amount of experience (and real world stats) gathered from serving diverse Mac PC and Linux users via Steam. I would expect to see them handle this in the same was that PC games do, with the machines selecting variable video effects levels to give the best available rendering while maintaining frame rate.

Perhaps we'll see 'suggested' video settings by default, with the ability to tinker with video for the people who really want nice reflections at the expense of some stutter.

1
0

Valve aiming to take the joy(sticks) out of gaming with Steam Controller

Chris 3

Re: Bad. Very bad.

Do you roll the mouse around on your knee and have the keyboard perched on the arm of the sofa?

0
0

'Bet Lynch' types BANNED from zoo for upsetting not-so-wildlife

Chris 3
Facepalm

Chessington Marketing Dept. Plays a Blinder

From an animal behaviour view this is just poppycock. Confusing an animal by wearing a leopard skin dress is about as likely as you or I mistaking a dog for human because it was wearing a hat.

What's happened here is the Chessington marketing department have opened a new safari adventure type thing and have looked for a way to drum up publicity.

They put this ban in place as a way of developing a novel press release angle and the BBC lapped it up, giving Chessington World of Adventure all the publicity they needed for their new attraction all over the main bulletins.

I would have thought the Reg would have been a bit more savvy. Oh well.

7
1

Rotten Apple iOS 7 fury: Glitchy audio or is today's music really that bad?

Chris 3

Re: Well, I suppose I should be the first fanboi to say...

I don't actually own an iPhone. I might buy one just to annoy you, though.

10
0
Chris 3

Well, I suppose I should be the first fanboi to say...

I downloaded it in about 20 minutes at 6:30pm in the UK. Shoved it on an iPad 2, which seems to be coping fine so far. No audio problems that I can see in either Garageband or music playback.

Not an unalloyed delight; the visual design will take some getting used to, but generally a quite useful update.

10
0

London Underground cleaners to refuse fingerprint clock-on

Chris 3

Re: lolwut?

The thing about biometric data is 'once it's out there, it's out there'. Password database hacked? Change your password. Finger print out there in the wild? what are you going to do?

Biometrics shouldn't be used for trivial matters.

13
1

So WHY does Huawei's enigmatic boss shun the West's spotlight?

Chris 3

Where "So much" equals about 8%. Not insignificant, but not the total ownership some like to paint.

1
1

That earth-shattering NSA crypto-cracking: Have spooks smashed RC4?

Chris 3
Facepalm

Re: re: Why would we have known about it?

Let's see.

In the 1979 election the Conservatives won 44% of the popular vote. I'm going to assume that a military coup would have been less popular than voting in a new government democratically.

Therefore, your "reliable" assertion that a coup would have had popular support is poppycock. You don't have to be a liberal-left kiddy to downvote a poor argument.

0
0

Microsoft's Nokia plan: WHACK APPLE AND GOOGLE

Chris 3

Re: RIP Nokia

The only thing that has brand awareness in the *consumer* space. Phones account for less than half of Nokia revenue, ISTR

2
1

Big Beardie is watching you: Lord Sugar gets into facial recognition

Chris 3

Worth watching the video just to see how uncomfortable Simon Sugar is in front of a camera.

2
0

Star bosses name asteroid to honor author Iain Banks

Chris 3

Did he know?

Thanks for doing this - even if he didn't live to see it become official, do you know if he knew that he had been nominated?

0
0

Apple's new data center to be solar powered, 100% green

Chris 3

Re: Stunt

> The gimmick is that the solar array is supposed to put more into the grid than Apple take out. That way they can claim they are powered by it.

That's not a gimmick. If their solar systems more than offsets the energy requirenments, that's a viable green energy strategy.

2
2

Apple at WWDC: Sleek new iOS, death of the big cats, pint-sized Mac Pro

Chris 3

Not ideal, but: http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-2481-sonnet-echo-pro-pcie-thunderbolt-adapter-two-slots-full-length.aspx

0
0

The Tomorrow People jaunt back to the airwaves

Chris 3

Fond memories

... but there was one episode that scared the willies out of me - it featured Munch's The Scream - other than that I can remember nothing about it.

Waiting for a Time Slip reboot now.

1
0

Page: