2 posts • joined 6 Jul 2009
Wrong, Dangermouse, wrong
I don't know where you got the idea that James Cronin is a civil servant, but it's completely wrong.
You're letting your desire fro a good conspiracy blind you. Take a step back, and breathe.
TheyWorkForYou.com did not have anything to do with this story
I'm Stefan Magdalinski, and I am one of the founders of theyworkforyou.com, faxyourmp.com, upmystreet.com, and the Open Rights Group. I'd like to clarify some points before everyone trashes the work that I and others have spent 10 years carefully crafting, mostly in our spare time.
1. The Telegraph didn't contact us before running this story. If they had, we would have told them the following:
2. No government department contacted us about this post.
3. This alleged post was never posted on theyworkforyou.com, nor any other mysociety site.
4. Theyworkforyou.com, within the mysociety umbrella, occasionally applies for government grants for specific development tasks. The most recent of these was a grant we applied for from the Ministry of Justice, specifically to add Hansard pre-2001 to the site. We are nothing to do with the government, and they have no rights over us.
5. We're now fighting a rearguard action to
a) identify what did happen, where the post appeared, and
b) find out if this was a deliberate attempt to spread misinformation about our motives (in certain parliamentary corners, we're not the most popular people), or just lazy journalism from the Telegraph, compounded by more laziness from the Reg.
c) limit the damage caused by this attack on our reputation. We're a bunch of (mostly) volunteers genuinely trying to open up government and make it more accountable, we really don't need this.
I would appreciate people's help in spreading the truth, rather than more disinformation.
If anyone wants to ask me any more questions, or more clarification, my email is stefan (at) whitelabel (dot) org. We'll also be updating the blog at
http://www.mysociety.org/2009/07/06/theyworkforyou-nothing-to-do-with-this-sacked-civil-servant-story/ as we find out more.
thanks for your time.
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Bugger the jetpack, where's my 21st-century Psion?
- Google offers up its own Googlers in cloud channel chumship trawl
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 spewed online a MONTH early – by Microsoft
- Interview Global Warming IS REAL, argues sceptic mathematician - it just isn't THERMAGEDDON