1 post • joined 3 Jul 2009
Even exceeding the speed abilities of tiltrotor?
“….even exceeding the speed abilities of tiltrotor aircraft like the V-22 Osprey and the BA609.”
“In coming months the X2, having been thoroughly shaken out and tested at lower speeds, will start working up towards its design speed of 250 knots (290 mph).”
Please check your article’s facts;
“The flight test program has validated the BA609 unique flight envelope including altitudes up to 25,000 feet and speeds up to 310 knots, all at the maximum weight.”
“BA609 a/c 60001 has continued to undergo flight test activities at Bell’s Flight Research Centre, in Arlington, Texas where it has already achieved some very important testing milestones including flying at a speed of 300 knots and at altitudes up to 25,000 feet.”
Even the BA609 Cruise speed of 275 knots is higher than the X2 design speed of 250 knots.
The X2 will be an excellent technology to complement both conventional helicopters and tiltrotors. More costly to operate than a conventional helicopter, but better hover performance than a tiltrotor. When speed and range are necessary however, a tiltrotor will be the preferred option. The physics is basic. A tiltrotor in airplane mode directs all it’s thrust aft and lift is provided by a wing. The X2 may slow it’s rotors, but it will never be as efficient as a wing.
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- First Crack Man buys iPHONE 6 and DROPS IT to SMASH on PURPOSE
- First Fondle Reg journo battles Sydney iPHONE queue, FONDLES BIG 'UN
- TOR users become FBI's No.1 hacking target after legal power grab
- Vid Reg bloke zips through an iPHONE 6 queue from ZERO to 60 SECONDS