Please read Michael Cs reasoned and very well constructed reply a few posts up.
He pretty much invalidates all of your points in a reasonable, friendly and detailed way. (Much better and nicer than I would or could have).
Lets just put it simply for all of you Palm apologists / Apple haters.
1) Apple is not stopping you from putting your purchased music on other devices.
2) ITunes is essentially a glorified driver, firmware manager and music organiser written for use with iPods / iPhones.
3) Palm could (and should) have provided their own software to organise and sync that exact same music, but instead chose to leech from Apples own software.
4) Apple have no obligation to provide any drivers or music organisation software for any other device (and I ask again, why on earth should they do this for the competitions hardware?).
5) And once again, for those in the cheap seats, the downloaded music can be used without iTunes, and can be synced to other devices, IF your hardware manufacturer can be bothered to provide THEIR customers with the means.
Put more simply:
i) Purchased music - usable on other software and devices.
ii) Free iTunes software - a device driver / music organiser for purchasers of iPods / iPhones (Apples paying customers).
"Palm spent their time and money giving their customers a choice"
No, they spent nothing and then fooled their customers into believing that syncing with iTunes was a done deal.
Its amazing that you defend Palm in this.
You talk like Palm have made every possible effort to enable music to be synced to the Pre, when in reality, they tried taking the easiest, cheapest (and dodgiest) route and got caught out.
And somehow this is Apples fault.
Really, take off the blinkers.