As a Basis Peak user for the last 18 months, my skin remains uncharred.
They (Basis / Intel) are also recalling the earlier B1 watch which seems to use different hardware.
To my suspicious mind, this smells like Intel using a minor issue as the excuse to close down the Basis business unit either due to lacklustre sales or because they want to release a competing product / sell the IP.
For the record the Peak is the most accurate wrist-based HR tracker I have used (and I've tried pretty much all of them). It was also able to track my sleep accurately. If anyone knows of an alternative device that fulfils my criteria I would love to hear about it:
- Looks like a watch rather than something from Blake's 7 and has interchangeable straps
- Waterproof enough to swim with
- Automatic activity tracking
- Accurate 24/hr HR tracking
- Accurate calorie calculation
- Tough metal / gorilla glass construction
- Silent alarm
- Music control
- Habit / goal tracking via app
- Display easily readable in direct sunlight
- 4-5+ day battery life