266 posts • joined Monday 15th June 2009 12:18 GMT
This should be outlawed !
After all, it is rectangular and has icon thingies !
Born in 1931 eh... so that made him what ? 12 wen he started at Bletchley ? Smart kid !
It's very simple...
All profound analyses aside : there wer a few nails sticking out possibly causing Google to hurt itself.
So they went to a few hardware stores, checked out available hammers, and bough the biggest one they could carry.
And now they are going to hit them nals with it.
It does not matter these are the exact offending nails, they're just going to clear some so they can proceed unimpeded.
Isn't it nice, having very mucho moneys !
This will also do away with the calls for FUP and other unlimited download schemes. With usenet and P2P taken out of the loop, there wil be no need for 500 GB download caps, and more. Even if you buy a new game every month, what are you going to do with the remaining 490 GB ? Watch youporn ?
Yes, it can be done...
And just to remind you...I'm claiming this !
There's two ways, IMHO :
The first is to actually bend spacetime, sho the shortest distance between two points is effectively zero. Many people have thought of this, so nothing new there. This is, however, NOT FTL.
The second way is exactly that. The bottleneck is ole Einsteins E+MC2. The ONLY way to get around this is to hide the mass from our universe in some way.
It requires some out-of -the-box thinking, but in due course I think it can be done. Hiding the mass would essentially forfeit the requirement of infinite energy to move the mass around.
I'm working on it...but it's slow going.
Please don't do this.
After everyone loses interest, the thing will become a disaster waiting to happen. A mass of even a few grams accelerated to stable orbit velocities is likely to wreck a very expensive satellite if it hits it the wrong way. There's already more than enough crap up there without you adding more
This is exactly the argument used for not mining shale for oil 30 years ago, when it was 18 USD a barrel.
When a barrel passed the 70USD mark, the economics changed somewhat.
So, assuming our penchant for rare earths isn't going to deminish anytime soon, at wat point WOULD it become economically viable to dump massive quantities of acid in the oceans so we can continue to buy a new iFeun every six months ?
Some basic rules
1. Companies that do not pay taxes now will not start to pay taxes because the rate is only 5% instead of 30
2. A helpdesk employee makes, let's say, 12 USD an hour. His counterpart in Myanmar makes - say - 1.20 USD an hour. This can lead to basically 2 things : a) Every 10 jobs repatriated will lead to 1 domestic job, which isn't a problem, because helpdesk service is so dismal it can't get any worse or b) helpdesking costs are going to rise a dramatic 900%, which YOU will pay for when you buy your next TV.
3. A manufacturer that can sell 1000 fridges a year, and needs 100 people to do this, is not going to hire new people if he can't sell more fridges, irrespective of the tax rate. If you can't put an employee to work, you're not hiring.
4. This is about tax on PROFIT. If you can't turn a profit now, you're not going to turn one of taxes go down. If you ARE making a profit, the tax reduction is going to discappear directly into the shareholders pockets. No two ways about it.
5. Companies will NEVER commit to creating jobs, even if they get tax breaks. They will promise to do what they can. After the break is granted, they will say they try but can't do anything about it.
Well, that is because US lawmakers, and lawmakers in general, are politicians. And although they excel at lining their pockets, they are not known to be very apt at doing what they are paid to do, i.e. making societies work.
Hence the current predicament.
Crooked metaphor, your anonymousness...
Had you engineered and built said radio and offered it to this gentleman, who upon rejecting it took it apart, reverse engineered it, patented it and brought it to marked, you would sqeak differently.
The 'price I pay' is NOT they can track me. The price I pay is on my invoice. Since I am not offered a 'no tracking' option (which MAY be differently priced), I have no choice in the matter,. Hence, the contract is extortionate.
Their chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Their two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....
Their *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope....
Their *four*...no... *Amongst* their weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise....
I'll get my nice red uniform
Oh no you don't...
The Asus uses an IPS panel, the Acer Iconia a regular one. So it's no contest for me, I'll wait for the Asus. Shame though, I thought I finally found one I liked AND that I could actually buy.
Shouldn't Apple join in....
Claiming they lost 30c for every song that WASN'T downloaded through iTunes ?
First order of business :
Get support from the consumer electronics sector.
An OS is an enabler. It enables you to use the tools (ie) software) you require.
If I buy a gps, a music player, NAS sotrage, or whatever, windoze software is included with the product.
Then I have to scour the internet to find a bunch of half baked home brewed apps that allow me use said hardware. This stuff - more often than not - refuses to work properly, sometimes resultg in major unpleasantness with the OS, that now refuses to open the email app, or worse.
They need to get rid of this faffing about. If I buy a GPS from a leading manufacturer, it should include an installer for the maps and routing software I can install and get to work.
I am not in the business of getting consumer electronics to work with my OS. I am in the business of using said electronics to get on with my life.
So fix it, or do I have to come over and do it for you ?
Some of our local newspapers have offered an iPad subscription for a while. The app needed to be bought through the appstore, the subscription however was handled through the newspaper.
This changed a few months ago, when the Cult of Jobs ordained that hence forth 30% was also owed to apple if the subscribtion was bought through the newspaper.
The papers were not extatic about this development, and tox crapple (oops, sorry) to task in the courts.
The result of the matter is that if the app AND the subscription are bought through the crapstor (again, oops), they indeed take 30% off the top.
However, subscriptions can still be bought via the newspaper websites, in which case crapple (ole) gets zilch.
So it CAN be done.
But this "Unless he can demonstrate his innocence ahead of trial, he will be tried."
Is this prosecutor an alumnus of the 'Khomeini School Of Criminal Prosecution' ?
Now this may all be fine and dandy...
But the bottom line is that the ipad has been around for 8 months, and the Samsung for three. But there is really nothing else.
Tegra 2 has also been around for several months, as have IPS screens and even Pixel Qi's, but no one has been able to put a decent tablet on a shelf in a store. Come to think of it, is there anyone other than NotionInk planning on using Qi screens ?
I don't really want to get sucked into Apples distortion field, and I've been putting off buying a tablet because of the lack of choice, but come march or april I suppose I'll have to fold and get an iPad 2, since I don't think anyone will have anything decent available .
Apple has been scathed many times for making overpriced gadgets, but they seem to be the only ones that are able to get any product to the market if they put there minds to it. Samsung, Sony, Acer, HP, Dell et all only seem to be able to put out press statements and pictures.
I think they really dropped the ball on this one.
It is not a matter of belief...
Mr. A asserts that he has evidence of messaging between the two victims of them setting up the sting.
He also claims this evidence is in the hands of Swedish law enforcement who refuse to add it to the file because they would sink their own boat.
Additionally, he claims to be able to prove the invovement of one of the victims with the CIA through a CIA controlled front organization.
If he can do these things, he will be exhonorated.
Belief does not enter into the matter.
I don't understand...
Over here, you pay for your data subscription. Depending on the type, you pays yer mooney, for which you get a set data volume. With my provider, for example, 10 Euro's a month gets you 500 MB worth of datashuffling. If I 'overspend', I'm charged extra.
So what are ale these phone company types on about ?
In todays news...
How to move your Ipod content back to Windows, since iTunes completely screwed up your directory structure, massacred your tags, destroyed your sorting and you now seem to have a seperate album for every song, bar the albums that seem to contain every song thrice.
But the writer of this article will find all of this out very soon. I shall be looking forward to the assorted expletives in the follow-up articles.
As I understand it...
“[A]lthough the government will have to establish that the technological measure that Mr. Crippen allegedly circumvented was used to control access to copyrighted work, the Government need not show that the modified Xbox’s were actually used for infringing purposes,” (.pdf) wrote Gutierrez
So the prosecutor must PROVE that it was the INTENTION of Mr. Crippen to break the law.
Sounds like a handful to me. If Mr. Crippen dispayed a copyright warning on the interwebs or his store, for instance, it would already make the prosecutors job a lot harder.
Unfortunately for Mr. Crippen, a lot of lobbying ill be going on behind closed doors. It is most likely he is already well and truly buggered before his trial has even started.
This happened to me just the other day !
I was driving to work on the motorway, easy does it, like I always do, when a woman in a brand new BMW overtakes me doing at least 80, her face pressed to the mirror in the sunvisor, while she's applying make up !
So I see this, and deciding she's actually good looking an scantily dressed, I decide to take another peak.
So I pull up next to her, doing 80 or 90 and believe it or not, she's still at it, applying yet another coat of plaster, and she almost swerves into me !
That scared me so much I dropped my razor, and that crashed right into the sandwich I was holding in my other hand.
Now, because I had both my hands full I had the steering wheel jammed between my knees. And because I had to avoid being crashed into, my knee hit my phone-holder, knocking it out of said holder, slap bang into the cup of coffey that was sitting between my thighs.
You can imagine what happened next : hot coffey burns my crotch, my phones drowned and to add insult to injury the call I was making gets interrupted !!!
Wimmin drivers should be banned too !!!
No, it's not !
Critical to the safety etc ? No it's not. It's critical to turning Europe in it's entirety into a police state, giving the EU and it's dubious cronies access to everything that anybody is up to all of the time.
This woman would make an excellent partner for Eric Schmidt. Or Adolf Schickelgruber..
Helping the labour market !
It never ceases to amaze me how many organizations and companies make money pulling all kinds of studies and statistics out of their rear in the fringe of Apples magic and revolutionary distortion field.
No it isn't.
This is not about the moral highground, or even public perception. It's about money. It always is.
I'd wager a crate of our finest local best (which is in fact the world's local best, but I digress) that there's a clause in her contract stating that while ehe is under contract with the opera she cannot persue commercial activities for het own benefit (or something to that extent).
You have discovered why a laptop costs 500$, and why manufacturing jobs are being outsourced.
Maybe you could tackle global warming next.
Just a friendly warning...
Allthough I find Herr Schmidt's mental doodling (for the most part) quite entertaining, I would recommend everyone stay well clear of Google as long as this cryptofascist is at the helm.
The world will NOT be a nice place with him setting the course !
This is where things start going awry.
I am not asked to sign the 'agreement' before I buy. I actually only get to read said agreement AFTER I have handed over my money.
To add insult to injury, once I have opened the 'original packaging', not only have I accepted said 'agreement' which Is INSIDE the packaging, but upon rejecting it, I cannot take it back to the store for a refund because it is not in its 'original, unopened packaging'.
Unfortunately, i do not have the resources to take the manufacturers to task over this in a court of law.
A complete non-issue
Governments (read politicians) across the globe are essentially the same : totally inept at organizing a piss up in a brewery, refusing to accept responability for the misery they inflict upon their constituants, and only interested in maximzing llegislation that lines their own pockets.
That being said, we can conclude that, however much is being stolen from the people they govern by means of taxes, levies, fines and other exises and VATS, they will always end up short.
Therefor, reducing the income from road taxes by whatever means, will automatically lead to an increase in taxes somewhere else.
THEY will NOT squander less, so YOU will have to pay more.
The professor is of course right. Reducing road taxes is however an exercise in futility.
Nature has a way of recyling itself, from rotting plants to exploding suns.
So it stands to reason 'black holes' do too. Now the timeframe in which this happens may be truly galactic, but methinks it unlikely something would suck up a galaxy worth of mass and then just lie there untill the end of time.
What goes up must come down.
Just to clear things up...
For the benefit of the El Reg Readership, and to eliminate confusion pertaining to the meaning of communist / socialist / capitalist, I shall endeavor to put is to sleep once and for all, so we are all on the same page:
- Socialism : You have 2 cows. You give 1 to your neighbor that does not have any cows.
- Communism : You have 2 cows. The government confiscates them both and gives you a little milk.
- Fascism : You have 2 cows. The government takes them both and sells the milk
- Nazism : You have 2 cows. The government takes them both from you and summarily executes you.
- Bureaucracy : You have 2 cows. The government takes them both from you, shoots one, milks the other one to death and throws away the milk.
- Traditional Capitalism : You have 2 cows. You trade one for a bull, start breading a herd of cows, sell them and retire on the Bahamas
- Lehman Brothers Capitalism : : You have 2 cows. You sell 3 to a subsidiary company in Korea with a loan that your mother in law applied for with a bank in Brussels. You then negotiate a deal with a US company to buy your 4 cows back, so you can deduct the taxes owed on these 5 cows. The subsidies you receive from Europe for the milk from these 6 cows you invest, via a front company, in the Korean subsidiary. In your statement to the SEC you declare ownership of 8 cows with a call option on a 9th. You sell 3 cows to invest in a US breading farm, only to be unmasked as a fraud because you know nothing whatsoever about cows. You state you have no idea why the stables are empty and you’re put behind bars for a very long time.
- US Capitalism : You have 2 cows. You sell one and force the other to give milk for 4. You are very surprised when the animal drops dead.
- Walloon socialism : You have 2 cows. You go on strike because you want 3.
- Japanese Techno-Capitalism : You have 2 cows. You genetically alter them so they become100 times smaller than a normal cow and produce 20 times more milk.
- German Techno-Capitalism :You have 2 cows. You genetically alter them so they grow to be 100 years old, eat once a month and milk themselves.
- British Democracy : You have 2 cows. They’re both stone raving looney tunes.
- Italian Capitalism : You have two cows. You don’t know exatly where they are, though. And the pasta’s ready.
- Russian Bureaucratic Socialism : You have 2 cows. You count them and discover you have 5. A recount determines there are actually 30 of them. A subsequent recount determines the final number is 17. You stop counting and open the 4th bottle of vodka of the day.
- French Republicanism : You own 2 cows. They are the most important cows in the world.
- Swiss Capitalism : You have 500 cows, but none of them are yours. They were put in your care by an ‘anonymous foreign party’.
- Hindu Theocracy : You have 2 cows and you idolize them.
- Flemish/Dutch system : You have 1 cow and you marry err…her.
- Bulgarian Socialism : You have 2 cows and make life as difficult for them as you possibly can. Consequently, one cow dies. In line with the principle of equality you kill one of your neighbors cows.
- Turkish Socialism : You have 2 cows. You trade them for goats so you don’t have to stand on your toes.
There. I hope we can all talk about the same thing now.
Whould you inquire with your good lady wifeperson how she found the experience of reading from it for an extended period of time ? Would she consider reading a book for a few hours in a row, or is all she's seeing after an hour or so a colourful blur ?
Samaritan ? I think not !
Samaritans were -in their time- considered to be a rather unsympathetic lot, generally untrustworthy, devious and generally unpleasant. A bit like Romanian shed dwellers, actually.
The bloke that carried the other bloke to the nearest inn, tended to him, fed him and left money for him to stay at the in was henceforth known as a 'good' samaritan, i.e. different from all the other Samaritans.
Mine's the one with the funny smell,
Dear patent office...
I herewith wish to apply for a patent for any device that captures any existing and non-existing light source , visible, invisible or not visible, by any means, known or unknown, reflecting it internally, externally or by means of quantum mechanics, transferring said light by means of existing (on any plain of existance) or yet to be invented (by me or onyone or anything else), thus providing said light to any and all locations visible, invisible or not visible.
That should just about cover it.
Show me this elusive ipad already !
I for one am holding off the purchase of a kindle DX until I can try out reading a book on this ipad lark. I'm pretty sure it'll be 'orrible, but I don't know until I try it.
Micro$oft should introduce a ballot screen at the start of each installation that allows you to install Linux (all flavors), OSX, or Windoze, obviously in a random order.
Freedom of choice is important, you know !
Ah yes, them olden days
When people were stoned when they committed adultery. Nowadays, they commit adultery when they are stoned !
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- Analysis Spam and the Byzantine Empire: How Bitcoin tech REALLY works
- VIDEO Herschel Space Observatory spots galaxies merging