5 posts • joined 4 Sep 2006
You should stop reading the tarted text of two-bit techies and indulge in some real thinking courtesy of Peter Drucker. He summed it up rather nicely, 'Guru is shorthand for Charlatan.' Or words to that effect.
'bout time too
I think it's great that these technologies are finally coming together - although i do rather feel there's some way to go before it's as seemless as everybody seems to claim.
It gives great benefits across the board. Managing multiple bills and networks and suppliers is becoming one of the biggest pains in my life - and we're only a 50 man company. I must spend a month a year on this and it really is laughable.
The sooner we get people carrying one device for everything the better. Convergance can't happy fast enough for me.
Policy is the answer
If you tell people what they can have and why, and then make it policy all of this become sfairly straighforward, in the area of devices.
It's everything else that gets complex - try talking to a vendor about 2000 secure mobile workers with access to a multitude of apps and you'll quickly dissapear into a minefield of partners, whilst rapidly losing the will to live.
It's a user problem
OKay, so it's a user problem - no matter which way you want to slice it. We're all fallable and no doubt even the worlds greatest security guru mislays his keys, pda whatever every now and then. But what are the options for managing our own falability really?
- Make good decisions in the first place -ie infrastructure, devices and deployment - so being falable is less important.
- Keep things centralised - you gotta be able to control things, end of story
- Encrypt, encrypt, encrypt
- Hammer home the implications and make it clear where accountability lies
I think the device and such like is really rather irrelevant.
Blackberry is totally a one trick pony. And, worse still, it’s strictly for city workers, although i'm not sure i spelt that last word right.
- Crawling from the Wreckage Want a more fuel efficient car? Then redesign it – here's how
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Human spaceships dodge ALIEN BODY skimming Mars
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know