1 post • joined Tuesday 1st May 2007 23:58 GMT
Jim, RAID-5 and BAARF...
I vaguely knew about Jim, but then I got the chance to meet him together with about 10 other folks, including my good friend James Morle, in a small arts gallery in London a year or two ago. He talked a bit about what he was up to, and then asked us to provide the questions and debating topics, and it was all very good and fun.
Then suddenly he said:
"Something else I've noticed recently on my trips around the world - there are SO many problems with RAID-5 disk systems. I don't understand why people are using them when everyone knows they're bad?!"
James & me: "Well, three years ago we founded the BAARF Party because ... bla bla bla ...."
Jim: "Where do I sign up?"
James & me: "We'll send you the details."
Then the meeting continued, and a few hours later it ended because he had to leave for his next meeting. On the way out of the room he looked at James and me and said: "Don't forget to send me those details!"
And a day or two later he signed up!
So on www.baarf.com you'll find him (no, this is not meant as a commercial, there's no money involved here :-))) ), and I thought recently about telling this story on the website, but then James pointed me to this excellent tribute to him.
I heard about the effort of all those people through Mark Souza, a director in Microsoft, recently. People with private planes even flew out to look, he told me.
That's the best possible way this bad situation could end, I think: With lots of good guys from competing companies banding together to help a true titan.
Commit Transaction ;
Mogens Nørgaard, Denmark
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- Analysis Microsoft's licence riddles give Linux and pals a free ride to virtual domination
- I KNOW how to SAVE Microsoft. Give Windows 8 away for FREE – analyst