Feeds

* Posts by JEDIDIAH

2077 posts • joined 26 Jan 2009

Apple's Watch is basically electric perfume

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Surprisingly disappointing (because of a lack of awareness)

> The Apple Watch’s uniqueness and strength, like other Apple products, is its “usability" and "user experience”. Sadly, these terms are meaningless to people who use products that don’t excel in these areas

No. They're just meaningless marketspeak. While those terms might have some meaning if you back them up with something, the way that you are employing them makes them meaningless. You just take it as an article of faith that whatever Apple is doing is "better".

0
0

Behold our SPINNING DATA GRAVE: WD carts out 6.3TB cold storage drive

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Short warranty for Archive drive?

The creeping storage capacity also seems peculiar. There should be some predictability and consistency with regards to parts, especially if you are going to be swapping out parts as they fail or become obsolete.

The .1 TB capacity improvement is nowhere near as valuable as having consistent replaceable components.

4
0

Whopping 10TB disks spin out of HGST – plus 3.2TB flash slabs

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Meh. Call me when the 10Tb SSD ships in consumer bulk.

This reminds me of that recent SSD review where I got downvoted for pointing out that bad sequential write performance undermines the point of buying an SSD.

It doesn't matter if the SSD is big and cheap if it can't keep up with my spinning rust.

That SSD from the review wasn't any faster than my current spinning rust.

The rest of us will be taking advantage of what is available while you're over there getting blue trying to holdout.

1
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Fighter Aircraft Simulator

> with all the real Avionics 56Kb of Ram, 200KHz CPU and 2.4Mb of HDD in 1975.

>

> Have we really made that much progress?

Ask a fighter pilot. I am sure he would be very enthusiastic about the progress that's been made since 1975.

3
0

IT jargon is absolutely REAMED with sexual double-entendres

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Easily done by mistake

I once thought a London cabbie was asking me if I had "faulty pee".

Two nations separated by a common language...

0
0

iCloud fiasco: 100 FAMOUS WOMEN exposed NUDE online

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Assailant?

A colleague is someone that I may or may not currently work with that practices in the same field I do.

A co-worker may or may not work in the same field I do but they work at the same company I do.

They aren't the same thing.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Yes.

Rape most certainly a matter of consent. That is the key element that determines rather a mundane and perfectly legal activity is actually a crime.

However, this distracts from the fact that this particular situation includes a 3rd party that was tasked with being responsible. It doesn't matter if the starlet was drunk. She had a body guard and that body guard failed to do his job. Regardless of the existence of the criminal, the security professional is equally responsible for his malpractice.

Except holding Apple responsible would violate the media narrative that so called journalists have decreed will be propagated about Apple.

0
0

Larger iPad could target big biz, save Apple from low-end scrum

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Windows 9

> I went over to Apple devices (iPad Air, iPhone 5s and mac Mini) when I couldn't find any compelling Windows devices

If you couldn't find something more compelling than a Mac Mini they you clearly were not looking.

Even an honest Apple fanboy could find something in the Windows "ecosystem" more compelling than a Mini.

4
2

Fast And Furious 6 cammer thrown in slammer for nearly three years

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Semantics

The time should fit the crime.

This kind of thing should not get someone more than what a first time shoplifter would end up with.

You want to equate it with theft? There's a good benchmark for you.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: 30 mins of ads

Nah. The ads are probably the theater trying to take some money because the studios take all of it. The cut that a theater gets for a prime first run movie in the early weeks of release is peanuts. They have always had to survive on stuff other than the movie or the experience inside the theater.

Take away all of the extra annoying crap and all of those places would go out of business.

The studios are only indirectly responsible here. They squeeze the theaters and push them out on the thin ice.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Shame it was so short...

> Why not enter just before the film starts?

You will probably not be able to find more than one empty seat and what's left will likely all be at odd angles and in the back or all the way in the front. You might as well just stay home.

That's what I do. My first negative experience after I got my projector caused me to swear off the cinema entirely.

...don't need to put up with that crap no more.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Nyuk. Nyuk.

>> civil crime

>

> What, like belching loudly?

Does that fall under the heading of "anti-social activity" in Britain now?

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Sir

> Or do you imply that industrial espionage in not "stealing"?

You have a pathalogical need to distort language and the law in order to make a point.

To an objective observer, that makes your point seem much less valid. If you feel compelled to lie and commit fraud to make your argument then your position must not be very sound.

1
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Sir

> Posting someone's private photos online is not stealing, but has potential to break number of other laws depending on the exact case.

This tangent highlights an entirely different problem. We have a public discourse on this subject that is dominated by the crass interests of publishing corporations. The idea of a "personal paper" is completely overlooked. The law and most public perspective treats every worthless scrap of paper as some masterpiece that needs to be protected from harm lest someone publish it without permission.

The issue of "personal papers being stolen" really does not fit into the current framework at all.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Cyclist

Stealing is not something that can be done with a camera.

Words have particular meanings. When you LIE about them you abdicate any moral authority you might have. Just as in programming, the law requires precision and even a misplaced single character can gravely alter the meaning or even functionality of something.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Cyclist

> But not one of them killed the 1754 people who died on UK roads in 2012, killed entirely by motorists.

Not directly at least. You can still cause plenty of havoc on the road by simply being a menace to navigation. Someone can easily cause an accident and fatalities by pulling some stupid stunt that everyone else has to react to.

1
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Sir

> This is a thief. He had stolen and resold stolen goods. How much would you ask if someone robbed you?

Been there. Did that.

I asked for monetary damages. I had to. "The law" had no interest in prosecuting the offender.

Now these were real damages, not something just imagined or a matter of wishful thinking. This was a repeat offender that had a trail of victims going in both directions. As I already said: "The law" just wanted to ignore him.

Eventually got the money back. A good lawyer helps. Now that's sorted, I am not sure I want to spend the cost of Harvard tuition to keep him locked away from the world. The public record of the court case will do enough to slow him down in future.

Again. These were REAL damages and not just some made up sh*t.

1
0

Intel's Raspberry Pi rival Galileo can now run Windows

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: Standard Windows timings

...and they say that Linux is arcane.

2
0

Munich considers dumping Linux for ... GULP ... Windows!

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Lack of integrated email/contacts/calendar?

Of course the email gripe is total nonsense. It doesn't matter what kind of mail server you have. It probably doesn't even matter what smartphone OS you're running either. Just pick the appropriate client from the store. Something that is PROPRIETARY is MORE likely to be a problem because of corporate secrecy.

6
1

Google on Gmail child abuse trawl: We're NOT looking for other crimes

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: slippery slope or lawsuit magnet?

Google is not legally required to rifle through your stuff.

People aren't complaining about the snitching but the fact that they were going through people's stuff to begin with. Google should not be poking through our stuff any more than UPS or the postal service should.

16
3
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

You have too much faith.

I would be worried that ANY case of failing to keep a low profile with regards to the police would be a mistake. Once you try to engage them, you've put yourself in their sights even if it is only to snitch on someone elses wrong doing.

10
1

Snowden latest: NSA targets Gaza, pumps intelligence to Israel

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Timing, timing

So what would lack of support from the NSA stop exactly? Is anyone stupid enough to suggest that the Israelis would not defend themselves without NSA satellite photos or whatever else they're supposed to be talking about here. If anything, this might allow the entire process to be less haphazard.

Although Hamas rocket sites seem to be pretty much anywhere and they like to surround UN sanctuaries with mortar positions. So I am not sure what help extra intel would be anyways.

3
4

Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Still too expensive

...and you know what the kicker is?

It will be much easier for the Windows user to augment his system video player with plugins then attempting to do the same thing on a Mac.

You can run VLC on both platforms but that's kind of a cheat.

1
3
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Still too expensive

> aesthetics AND performance

PC users simply have different values. They aren't interested in an overpriced overpowered fashion statement. They buy stuff for what it does for them, not how it makes the next guy jealous.

So the Apple-centric sensibilities are much less likely to come into play.

A PC user is much more likely to find that the pretty little thing under performs. They're more likely to do "real work" either either because they are power users (Linux) or have access to more interesting an potentially rather obscure (Windows) apps.

Then there's games. At which point the Intel GPU is just sad.

2
6

Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Don't antagonize the window repairman Marty.

> would rather have occupied by that rather-more-traditional viewing technology known as "windows" - through which I can watch the outdoor-wildlife in real-time without any cheesy soundtack or narration.

Unfortunately the view out my window doesn't include spectacular helicopter shots of the Australian outback, the Fjords of Norway, or even the more interesting Bronze age archeological sites from rural Britain.

They look dandy at 1080i on the 10 foot projection screen though.

1
0

Put down that Oracle database patch: It could cost $23,000 per CPU

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Almost a genuine reason for customers wanting DRM.

> When software licences are this expensive, it's almost a valid expectation that the feature should require some form of enabling licence key to switch it on when necessary.

...or the people managing multimillion dollar systems and software have half a clue and keep on top of this stuff. This isn't amateur hour.

Mandatory license managers just cause trouble. That's another layer of complexity that important high value mission critical systems don't need.

1
5

Attack of the clones: Oracle's latest Red Hat Linux lookalike arrives

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Whenever you hear Oracle whine about Android

No.

Source only has to be produced when requested by the user. If you aren't a user, then Redhat doesn't have any obligations to you and never did.

This is how a company that creates GPL based derivative works for internal use doesn't have to give YOU a copy of what they have done. Rights to the source are only conferred upon the user of the program. If you aren't a user, then you're irrelevant.

The "loophole" here is that there's nothing preventing a user from sharing.

ANY Redhat user gets the same rights to the programs in question that Redhat does.

2
1

Apple fanbois SCREAM as update BRICKS their Macbook Airs

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Learn the First Rule of Computer Science

There is an implicit problem here of course. You are expecting rube Apple users to behave like seasoned IT professionals. The whole point of them buying an Apple product was specifically to avoid needing to know what they were doing. They're even worse than Windows users in this respect.

Apple needs to manage this stuff while being mindful of their audience. If they cater to idiots then they need to make things even more idiot proof. That's the burden they take on for their approach to system design.

9
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: top tip

> I sold an 8 year old dual G5 for $450 last year. Try that with ANY pc.

You just took advantage of someone and now you are publicly bragging about it.

That makes you a total scumbag. That's not anything to brag about.

Apple users have really anti-social values.

14
4

Running the Gauntlet: Atari's classic ... now and then

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: @I ain't Spartacus

You wouldn't want the "re-release" for Android anyways. They would find some way to muck it up and ruin it by trying to "update" it.

Emulation is really the best way to go here. You get the unadulterated original. Warts and all you end up with the thing that inspires all of our fond memories rather than a cheap imitation.

...and Han shot first.

0
0

Hamas hacks Israeli TV sat channel to broadcast pics of Gaza wounded

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: "extended stay in shelters.”

It really doesn't take much to improve upon the mess that Hamas has managed to create. The simple fact that the Israelis aren't retaliating against the West Bank is a massive improvement and validation for the Abbas approach.

The Gaza leadership might as well cut out the middle man and execute their own citizens directly. At least that would be more honest.

0
0

US authorities round up ILLEGAL DINOSAURS for repatriation

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: The US hates illegal aliens

The Roswell Greys probably had valuable job skills that could not be found in the domestic labor pool.

0
0

Call girl injected Google exec with heroin, drank wine, left him to die – cops claim

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Ah.. a scandel in the finest traditions.

This isn't OJ Simpson. All of this went down in front of a security camera.

If anything, the DA might argue that someone of her profession should be able to dose a client without killing him. Elevate the charge a bit.

2
1

Thought PCs were in the toilet? They're STILL eating Apple's lunch

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Profits?

> if you are a shareholder.

Who cares about the 1%?

2
2

Aereo has to pay TV show creators? Yes. This isn't rocket science

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Aereo is NOT broadcasting

> The definition of re-broadcasting or public performance does not stipulate the size of the audience.

Yes it does. There are old DVD rental cases that bear this out.

From a purely factual point of view, there must be a distinction made here.

Calling it an illegal copy would have been fine. Calling it a "public performance" is just Orwellian nonsense.

4
2
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Orlowski loves corporate welfare.

This is commercial supported content. No one should have to pay to re-transmit it under any circumstances. The fact that this practice was ever tolerated or encouraged is corporate welfare. It's one thing for elected officials pandering to lobbyists to pull this crap and quite another for unelected judges to perpetuate the same nonsense.

The "quacks like a duck" legal standard is highly dangerous. So is the notion that a single file transfer to a single individual is a "public performance".

This decision just isn't "the wrong thing" but it was also done "the wrong way".

8
3

Want a cheap iMac? TOO BAD. But you can have a slow one for $1,099

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: You're right for the wrong reasons...

Contrary to popular opinion within the reality distortion bubble, the fact that a bit of kit does not have the Apple logo on it does not automatically make it a piece of sh*t. Quite the contrary. Stuff from any other PC vendor is the same collection of spare parts as whatever Apple throws together.

An i5 is an i5 regardless of who you buy it from. It will still be welded to a lame GPU.

All the fruity logo buys you are weird form factors with no maintainability and bad head dissipation issues.

3
2

Internet of Things fridges? Pfft. So how does my milk carton know when it's empty?

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Unless you one of those lard arses

...it's even worse than that.

Not only do we have a fridge the size of a small European apartment but some of us even have separate freezers for dealing with seasonal items.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Alien

Re: Devil's advocate says...

Most of the stuff I buy would not have an RFID tag for the same reason it doesn't have a barcode now.

I also have the Tetris problem as well as the leftovers problem. Most of what's in my fridge are combinations of items that were not sold with bar codes.

0
0

Hate phone games that make you buy in-app gumble? Congrats, you're a niche player

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Another tax on the stupid...

It would not surprise me at all if this stuff gets expensive quick. It's probably designed with the stupid and impatient in mind. A little here and a little there can add up quick. There are plenty of stories of kids getting in trouble fast this way.

People that have any foresight or numeracy avoid this nickel and dime stuff.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: As a niche device owner....

The idea that use "freeloading" types are the niche is just absurd. It's like saying that people that don't fall for telemarketing scams are in the minority. It's just that there are enough stupid people out there to subsidize everyone else. I don't know anyone that does in-app purchases for games. They just play the free versions and put up with the limitations.

Suckers be very lucrative but there just aren't that many of them.

1
1

Crucial MX100 256GB SSD: Cut-throat competition in flash land

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: It's not all about top end speed really.

Except 150MB/s is no faster than spinning rust. You want to back this up, right? Perhaps you want to install something or copy things too and fro every once and awhile.

It sounds like you have no advantage here when it comes to bulk storage.

0
7

Everyone can and should learn to code? RUBBISH, says Torvalds

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Next...

> We teach all grade schoolers the finer points of medicine?

Just find yourself a Cub Scout. Perhaps one will save your sorry skin some day.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Everyone should learn how to write code because ...

> By the same logic everyone should learn how to perform neuro-surgery because everyone has a drill and a knife at home, and one can always buy a magnifying glass at the store.

Self-reliant types have been teaching themselves First-Aid for this very reason for over 100 years now.

Of course self-reliance is very much out of style these days.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Just try to have something resembling a clue.

Lay tile just once.

You won't look at a floor the same way ever again. You will be able to appreciate fine craftsmanship and recognize the work of a worthless schmuck. As a consumer of the product of genuine experts, your small bit of dabbling will be of immense value. You will actually have some clue of what you are buying and be able to judge people's work.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge

Re: @AC101 @stu4

Instruction in ANY foreign language changes how you perceive your own as the approach is generally different. That alone is useful. Doesn't matter if it's a dead language or something new and trendy.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge

Re: Everyone should learn how to design internal combustion engines

> Before a person turns 16 and can get a driver's licence, the person must be able to display a good knowledge of thermodynamics, mechanics and the chemistry of hydrocarbon combustion. Then they should also learn how to weld and spraypaint.

>

> Sounds a bit stupid doesn't it?

It only sounds stupid because you're building a false strawman. None of what you are blithering on about is on topic when it comes to cars. On the other hand, studying the basics of the technology or putting together a plastic model of an engine or just becoming familiar with basic maintenance tasks all are on point.

Knowing enough to grok the difference between Petrol and Diesel engines does not require a PhD in physics. Although a Cub Scout might be able to assist you.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: arehole

> There is no point teaching everybody to do the same thing. Its pointless because its self destructive.

"Mommy. The teacher is being mean to me. She's making me do something that's hard."

In a sufficiently diverse curriculum, EVERY ONE will say that at least once.

Not everyone is going to be Newton or Dickens or Picasso. That doesn't mean that you don't expose them to stuff and at least try to teach them things.

0
0

I am NOT a PC repair man. I will NOT get your iPad working

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Apparel Solution

"Sorry. I don't do Windows."

0
0

Tech talk bloke compares girlfriend to irritating Java tool – did he deserve flames?

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Before the knee-jerk "PC gone mad" comments start in earnest...

> IT has a problem with fair treatment of women, we know this

No. IT has an image problem because the frat boys in the news media want to verbally beat up on nerds. They especially want to tear down the more talented types in Silicon Valley. These are the ones that really make your average journalist look like an uneducated idiot.

That said. A wise geek might want to avoid an easily predictable situation.

0
0