Feeds

* Posts by JEDIDIAH

1960 posts • joined 26 Jan 2009

Flintstones was (sort of) true: Mammals did well alongside dinosaurs

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

...a little self-evident.

This is a little self evident. If mammals were in a position to take advantage of climate change and the fall of the dinosaurs, they needed to be around already and flourishing in the fringes in some niche that the dinosaurs were not well adapted for.

There's a wide range possible between zero mammals and dominating the planet.

1
0

Why Windows 8 server is a game-changer

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Deluded Lemmings

On the one hand we have an entire family of interoperable operating systems that have been doing the heavy living for business and the Internet for decades. They have a time tested design and a stable common interface. They don't need to indulge in so much "game changing" because they got it right the first time (or at least close enough).

The "clone of minix" is just one example. Trying to belittle it won't erase the rest.

"server" and "game changer" kind of have no business together. If you don't understand this then you really have no clue about any of this.

4
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Windows 7 is probably the fastest EVER generalist UI

The only advantage Windows ever had was the perception that it is the monopoly. That means that software is created for it that's not created for anything else. In any other aspect, it has always been inferior to all of it's rivals. Doesn't matter if it's 1988 or 2012.

Use Windows if you need to. Just don't kid yourself that it's worth anything on it's own.

4
2
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Shortcuts are an illusion.

If you design a system expecting it to be managed by trained monkeys, you will end up with a system that looks like it was managed by trained monkeys. There's really no getting around that. The superficial top layer of the interface is the least interesting aspect of the whole system. Being able to actually understand the system is what separates the competent NT admins from the ones that have to be rescued by Unix SAs.

4
2

Just like a real computer: Android gets Android IDE

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: This could be the tipping point...

Whipping out your tokens of conspicuous consumption on mass transit is asking to be mugged. Not that standing with a tablet is much better than standing with a netbook anyways. Then there's the whole issue of SPACE during rush hour. Anything you have room to use will likely be an inferior experience.

0
0

Walking through MIME fields: Snubbing Steve Jobs to Star Trek tech

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Does any intelligent person see jobs as a God/Guru?

Design matters. However, there is no such thing as "perfection". The notion that there is and that it should be centrally enforced is a very destructive one.

Fanboys are fascists that have tunnel vision when it comes to Apple, Jobs, and the rest of the market.

1
0

if year > 2013 then PC != Personal Computer

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Clouds tend to evaporate...

You would think that the Cloud would be a great thing to use for a secondary off-site backup. However, I recently had a bad experience with this that highlights the basic problem of the Cloud in general. A remote backup provider just "went away" quietly without sufficient notice and no clear indication from the local client component that the remote service had gone away.

Fortunately, someone was being diligent and double checked things. Otherwise a really nasty situation may have ensued.

Any form of outsourcing is a loss of control. An external service could be interrupted suddenly for a wide variety of reasons. 3rd parties (see Apple iCloud) also like to get in the way.

3
0

iPad 3 'first tablet' with Bluetooth 4.0

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: How about old school HDMI?

An industry standard but still somewhat odd connector is still industry standard.

Such a socket also does not use up the ONE AND ONLY expansion port on the device.

Then there's the fact that your one-and-only-expansion port is also your power connector.

2
0

Tim Cook's post-PC iPad domination dream crushed by reality

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Well it could take us into the post PC era

The iPad is designed to be a glorified Tivo. No matter how many people like to pretend otherwise, such a machine is not a PC. It will not replace PCs due to lack of basic features and the fact that the tech is in control of the users.

"Perfection" means something different to everyone.

12
3

SUPERCOMPUTER vs your computer in bang-for-buck battle

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Hyrda

> 3) Would you tell someone who'd spend $2k on a cartier watch they could have bought 200+ casios with that? Actually you probably would.

It helps to have a clue in these things lest you get taken advantage of.

> 5) It's his money.

Yes, and we retain the liberty to call him a fool too.

0
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Hyrda

Exactly.

There are diminishing returns when it comes to bleeding edge high end hardware but you can still get some pretty powerful kit for not much money. If you hit that sweet spot, you can still have a very powerful machine that will stand the test of time and you don't have to spend 10K on it or even $3600.

0
0

Top Republican publishes full ACTA text for public look-see

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: THIS GUY IS....

...about a year late.

How long has this nonsense been going on? Isn't this thing already a "done deal"? So who really cares if it's being disclosed now?

It's a pretty worthless gesture at this point.

0
2

Ereader sales to slump as punters snap up cheap slabs – report

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Market share slump

Apple doesn't lower prices. It just updates gear. They have been doing this for a rather long time now. It should not be a surprise to anyone.

iPad3 will follow the same pattern as iMacs, Mac Pros, and Mac Minis in this regard.

1
0

Ten... top iOS games

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Amazing how much better

> Indeed, half of these "amazing" iOS games are just re-hashes of old 16-bit or 8-bit titles. Meh.

I had a copy of Arkanoid for the ST.

0
0

'Kill yourself now' - Torvalds throws openSUSE security tantrum

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: part of the reason why I'm contemplating on moving to a Mac..

You are going to "flee to the Mac" over printing?

That's funny.

If you can't deal with CUPS on Fedora, what makes you think it will be any better on a Mac?

1
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

"Nightmare" licensing

The GPL only has problems co-existing with those companies that go out of their way to make problems. The situation with VLC is a perfect example of this. Apple doesn't need to be jerks about Free Software. They choose to be. They choose to give their customers only one means to install software and then to impose conditions at odds with Free Software.

The GPL is really only a problem with people that have a toddler's view of ownership.

3
1

Disk shortages stall Q4 server sales (a bit)

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Dellapart

> Yes, on what planet is Dell "tier one" at anything.

The one where cheap PC kit outperforms proprietary RISC and clustered solutions are the norm. Even old school Unix shops ditch "little iron" for clustered solutions to avoid being reamed on hardware costs.

If you don't do any back office computing you might not notice that Dell does more than sell cheap consumer desktops.

0
0

Fat margins squeeze Apple against Android

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Casus belli

In some regards, a parasite is better. At least a parasite depends on keeping the host alive. In this respect, a classic patent troll is not nearly as bad as Apple. Microsoft may be scum and a parasite but at least they aren't trying to destroy the rest of the market.

4
9

New password-snatching Mac Trojan spreading in the wild

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Flashback-G and Java vulnerabilities

...what if it never has a chance to run?

NoScript. No Problem.

3
1

iPad owners 'considerably richer than yow'

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: @Andrew James

Eat the Rich!

0
1

Who's adding DRM to HTML5? Microsoft, Google and Netflix

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Re: There is only one thing to understand

...except DRM never separated any non-paying customer from content.

Although DRM does tend to make things more difficult for those that actually bother to pay.

11
2

Will Windows 8 sticker shock leave Microsoft unstuck?

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Re: Re: @Metavisor

MacPorts isn't another repository. It's an entirely different framework.

It's not comparable at all. You don't have a single management interface or a single tracking and dependency database.

Half a dozen disjoint products is not comparable to a Linux package manager. Neither is the Apple app store really. However, it's a lot closer to apt-get than MacPorts is.

None of the Apple Corp or 3rd party options allow a 3rd party vendor like Adobe to tie into the package management system directly like Linux tools can.

Tools vs Product.

2
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Think the KISS principle.

The KISS principle is simply unnecessary. The n00b consumer won't pay attention to the stickers anyway. They will just buy something that's sitting in Best Buy. They may or may not even care if it has the current version of Windows. They won't check the pedigree of the box. They simply don't care.

People choose to remain blissfully unaware. That includes these silly little stickers.

2
1

Ubuntu for Android: Penguins peck at Nokia's core problem

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Proprietary vendor nonsense.

"innovation" is fine so long as it's not forced down everyone's throats. That is the Microsoft way. That's also how Apple does things. Bold experiments are fine so long as they don't trash the status quo. The fact that this is easy to do in Linux is why un-loved aspects of X11 are so handy.

Defaults should be sane, useful, usable, and represent the widest use case.

Unix does have some notion of UI guidelines.

9
1

New Mac OS X: Mountain Lion roars at unauthorised apps

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Mindless FUD

> where you need to know details of the terminal line to install / remove certain applications.

Like what? Stuff that's bleeding edge and hasn't been fully released to the public yet?

That's an artifact of an open development process. It doesn't mean what you are trying to claim it does.

4
2

Apple files patent for simplified iPhone media sharing

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Time for a Jeffersonian slapdown!

> The requirement is only that it never have been done THAT WAY before.

This is precisely the sort of crap that Thomas Jefferson rejected as far too obvious and trivial when he was serving as America's first patent clerk.

You don't get a patent for a mousetrap made out of oak rather than pine.

it's time to get Jeffersonian on these people.

4
1

Apple tops smartphone seller chart

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

How 2012 is like 1984

The fanboys need to create their own reality regardless of what they actual facts are.

As others have said, this kind of approach would not cut it in any other area. Who cares if Apple leads in overpriced PCs. The bulk of the market does not belong to them.

The same is true of phones.

There is simply no need for this mindless "Apple is unstoppable" propaganda. What kind of future are these people pining for really? Are they hoping at a 2nd chance to out-Microsoft Microsoft?

1
0

iPad spanks Galaxy Tab in its own backyard

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Yes you need to.

If you don't actually call it out by name then the rest of us have no reason to believe it exists at all.

Otherwise, we have no reason to believe that you have a single favorite app. Never mind dozens.

Stuff that's just littering the app store that you have no really knowledge of really doesn't count though.

2
4

IT guy answers daughter's Facebook rant by shooting her laptop

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Liberal media bias.

This is the problem with leaving gun discussions to people that refuse to know anything about guns. It's like having Apple users design electronics. If you are willfully ignorant, perhaps you should just STFU. I don't have a clue. You don't even want one.

One important characteristic of hollow point rounds is that they don't ricochet.

That whole "exploding bullet" thing ensures that you don't have stray rounds flying off and hitting something or someone that was not intended.

Some might view the lack of stray bullets bouncing around as a safety feature.

5
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Plenty of other farm tools available.

> If you're against such things as home protection, I would suggest a sledgehammer instead.

A common kitchen knife or a pitchfork also does nicely.

Although I heard that the Brits also want to do away with proper kitchen knives too...

4
0

Shuttleworth remixes Ubuntu... for biz users

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Strange combination of crippling and pandering

This new variant of Ubuntu actually reminds me of Mint in some ways. In some respects you could describe it as a less uptight set of packaging rules. They could just make regular desktop Ubuntu a little more "mint-y" and have pretty much the same effect. No separate version needed. No need to remove things that a corporate user might find use for (productive or otherwise).

The real hurdle on the corporate desktop is accommodating MIcrosoft-centric standards and otherwise being a drop in replacement for the machines you' are trying to displace. Adding a JDK and Flash really doesn't address that.

1
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Strange nvidia problems...

I have used multiple nvidia based machines for years in a variety of situations in some pretty demanding situations and never had the desktop freeze once. This includes a lot of use of 10.04.

There are things that I would fault Canonical for. Lack of solid nvidia support is not one of them.

3
0

Fondle my slab, baby: Inside the tactile world of Apple-fan iDating

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
WTF?

The origin of boi

I think it is supposed to be some sort of homosexual reference.

0
0

Music fans not welcome in RIAA-backed .music

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Indeed Indeed

Just call it .riaa

3
0

Google guns for Apple TV

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

No. It's a joke.

No. It's a joke. Its' a joke because even it's biggest fans admit that you must violate the DMCA before the thing is actually useful.

A proper video appliance should not need that. Certainly, such a device should be able to play your own user generated stuff without a lot of fuss or bother or special conversions.

Apple also needs to discover this whole daemon/service concept. Using a desktop app as a "media server" is such an 80s sort of single user mentality nonsense.

Yet another reason why you want to break the law and put Plex on your ATV.

1
5

Apple's new TV allegedly spotted... in Canadian office

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

The Newspeak definition of geek.

> Except it doesn't work like that in most modern TV sets. There is no "AV" on the remote; there is probably an "Input" button that takes you to some menu where you select from a list of arcane options like "Video 1" or "HDMI 3."

And how are you going to get rid of that exactly? If you have 4 or more inputs, what magical thing are you going to call them so that the willfully ignorant don't need to burn out brain cells?

You are simply trying to pretend that no arcane details exist in the world. They do and sometimes you have to manage them head on rather than trying to pretend they don't exist.

Although you could simply move through the options until you find the right one. This is the kind of discoverability that GUIs are supposed to enable. This is something that Apple fanboys believed in once. They believed in the user once too. Not any more though.

For the Apple fanboy, everyone is too stupid and helpless to simply go through a list until they find that they need.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Thumb Down

> Have you used a TV lately? Have you seen the hideous and convoluted set of menus to configure the darn thing?

...which you do exactly how often? Those menus are there for initial setup and represent things that would simply be missing on an Apple interface. The usual TV controls are very basic things that are well recognized and also missing from Apple interfaces (like volume control).

The fanboys are simply trying to wag the dog here.

> Configuring any external input is also a hassle

As compared to what? Simply not bothering? A popup menu and some arrow keys is really not as horrible as all that.

> features like Internet access and photo albums. Most people don't use any of that crap because it's such a pain to figure out.

...and Apple is going to save us all by giving us an interface that takes whatever organization you have imposed on your photos and removing it? Hardly. That kind of nonsense is why people already jailbreak their ATVs.

> Imagine being able to hook up your DVD player by just plugging in the cable and clicking a button.

You mean like now?

> But most importantly, imagine navigating the entire set of options, channels, and other features with a simple little remote with a handful of buttons.

No. The "handfull" is simply going to castrate the user experience. Anything that's deemed "too geeky" will simply be removed from the experience. Orwellian rhetoric will follow.

I think it's you that hasn't used a TV lately.

2
3

Has Microsoft finally killed off Windows 8 Start button?

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

"Blind Hatred"

"Glowing square"? Do you people even read the nonsense you post? What kind of normal person is going to to find that distinctive enough. It's a little too subtle even for those of us prone to aspbergers. It's a braindead approach when Apple does it and it's no less brain dead when Microsoft tries to clone it (poorly).

1
1

Doctors sick of anonymous-coward NHS feedback commentards

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

The squeaky wheel...

The squeaky wheel is likely to be the one with the problem. The bulk of your customers that are more or less satisfied are simply not going to bother. Any self-selected forum is going to bias towards the more motivated respondents. Of course this is going to include those that are the most p*ssed off.

I agree with the idea that some doctors can't handle honest feedback and want to somehow silence or mute the complaints by discrediting them all.

0
0

EFF helps MegaUpload users claw legit stuff back from Feds

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Religious fervor...

Religious fervor about the government seizing people's property and then destroying it?

Imagine that.

You might think that we were the types to get uptight about our rights being violated. You might think us "religious types" might have even started an armed revolt over this sort of nonsense.

Get some tar, some feathers, and a keg of Sam Adams.

3
2

Drink diet pop all the time? Look forward to VASCULAR DEATH

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Not just fizzy drinks...

It's not just the fizzy drinks. The sports drinks have started doing this too. There's a whole line of Gatorade that includes artificial sweeteners.

0
0

Amazon France leaks iPad 3 release date?

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

...ah, the memories.

> A faster processor, you say. Well, that's a shocker.

I remember when I anxiously awaitied the new models of PC and microprocessor anticipating a signficant and useful speed improvement.

...about 10+ years ago. I think ARM might be creeping up on that level of performance finally [snicker].

0
0

EU snaps on glove, starts formal antitrust probe of Samsung

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Counter suit

> Samsung seem to be behaving very oddly.

Not really. They were attacked by Apple and counterattacked.

The legitimacy of that defensive action is now under question.

This is open corporate warfare and someone is trying to tie Samsung's hands.

2
2

Angry Birds boss: Piracy helps us 'get more business'

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

It was like the internet but analog.

> Who are the acts which we wouldn't know exist if they hadn't been pirated, because the majors didn't make them publicly available?

The entire New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

Same goes for the entire Thrash genre too. Lars was a filthy pirate back in the day.

Some consumers are smart enough to ask for what they want. Quite often they have to handle the distribution end of it too, at least initially. Or some club owner might be the pirate.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Not Tivo.

It was not Tivo that enabled commercial skip. It was Replay TV and they got slapped down hard for it.

2
0

US entertainment lawyer casts doubt on Megaupload case

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Megaphone

Smug nonsense

> I find your attitude simplistic and child like and far removed from the society

> and technical systems behind it, just like my 13 yr old nephew’s friend who

> told me how he was the Foo Fighters greatest fan then proceeded to offer me

> a DVD with all their albums on it...woo some fan.

Entire genres have been established with that kind of behavior. Some rather crass musical acts owe their fame and success and riches to that kind of behavior.

It's your attitude that's simplistic. All you see is one transaction rather than the entire market in aggregate including other more profitable transactions that occur only because of some initial loss leader.

2
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

The nonsense of mindless branding

The idea that the unwashed masses that accumulate pirated software have any business touching Photoshop is highly amusing. It's simply overkill. So is the GIMP really. However, people tend to focus on big recognizable names because they don't really have any clue or anything meaningful to say.

If you are willing to pirate stuff, you can simply pirate a better targeted tool.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Industry whiners

Games have been pirated for decades yet the industry continues. If a game is any good at all, expect it to be pirated. Even blockbusters get pirated. It doesn't really matter in the end.

You will succeed or fail based on the quality of your work and whether or not you can convince anyone to buy.

People that are successful in the industry realize that they aren't just competing with the rest of the industry but anything that can distract the customer.

If you are trying to blame piracy for your troubles then you are a loser trying to blame someone else for the fact that you can't make it in a tough market.

1
0

Dumb salesmen are hurting us – Nokia CEO

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Crap SMS.app, no good replacment possible.

> antennagate I dont remember much complaint about iPhone as a voice phone

I always found the inability to quickly clear my SMS messages to be terribly annoying.

That was my main reason for dumping my iPhone for an Android. Although there are other advantages to having a more open platform.

0
2
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

You didn't really refute anything.

> Aside from the gazillion or so assemblers which configure any PC according to your specs, most big brand names like Dell, HP, Lenovo etc do sell computers without Windows, because that is what a big part of their business customer base buys.

Nonsense. They do no such thing. At best they may have one or two options that are not terribly appealing. Dell is great at this approach. Now claiming that the market isn't effectively dominated by one player because you can "build your own" is just absurd. That represents a vanishingly small part of the market and isn't even valid for certain classes of hardware (like laptops).

Besides Linux, having the option of a CLEAN windows install would also be helpful.

I just fixed up a Mini 9 that way. It's MUCH better without the crudded up Dell Windows install on there.

5
0