* Posts by JEDIDIAH

2113 posts • joined 26 Jan 2009

Apple pounces on Samsung doc as proof of 'slavish copy' claims

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Madness!

> So basically what you saying is that Apple should spend millions on R'n'D designing a phone and everyone else should just be allowed to wait, copy the **** out of it and as long as they put their own companies logo on the sides that's ok?

Yes.

That's the way a free market works if you don't actually invent something worth creating a 20 year long patent on.

Apple makes mad money. No one should feel special sympathy for them. Your argument is stupid because clearly Apple has made back their investment several times over. They still have a first mover advantage that will likely yield them more mad money regardless of whether or not they get to treat the phone market like they own it.

As a computing device they are likely taking good advantage of what the rest of the industry has done over the last 30 years. That includes the spiffy multi-touch stuff too.

1
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: I accidentially bought an S2 instead of an 4S as they looked so a like.

Then it should be fun getting my stuff onto and off of an iPhone then.

With an Android I can just plug it in and use it like a hard drive or run sshDroid and do the same thing but wirelessly.

Only ever treating your smartphone like a feature phone does not count here.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Fundroid commentards are funny

> That's the joke of all this, the Samsung fandroids would be typing away on their Android blackberry clones if Apple hadn't showed how to do smartphones properly.

Yet, the knackered SMS app on my iPhone 3GS had me pining for an old Nokia flip phone.

1
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

It gets even better.

> Is it legal to pay witnesses in the USA?

In the US there's really no way to get around it. You want someone to speak on your behalf, you have to pay them for the opportunity cost involved. This can get quite painful sometimes and may make some types of litigation infeasible for all but the largest "mills".

$1000 an hour for an expert in a US trial is pretty standard.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: This is where it gets ridiculous...

The only thing 'revolutionary" about Apple's current crop of devices is that they fit in your pocket.

They are all highly derivative based on the work of others in the industry and necessary improvements in technology. These things are impressive to laymen because they don't have any background in tech.

It's just like Tivo.

Things look a lot less "original" in both tech and art if you don't have any background in the subject.

2
2
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: This is where it gets ridiculous...

Nonsense. Apple has made big piles of cash from their product. To try to claim otherwise would be to put it mildly DISHONEST.

Apple doesn't need to own the industry in order to get a good return on it's investment.

1
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: You miss the point of this forum

I dumped Tivo for the same reason I criticize Apple today.

Some patents are just wrong. They are destructive and anti-social.

Despite all of the fanboy blathering, Apple likes to drop the ball. It's that someone is around to pick up the slack for them. The courts should not be a crutch for Apple to avoid rivals.

Apple should not get to force me to use their crap. It's just as evil when Apple does it (versus Microsoft).

I liked Apple much better when it was on perpetual deathwatch.

3
2

NASA's $2.5bn Curiosity rover: An Apple PowerBook on wheels

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Shameful Trolling

> I guess it depends on how you read whether you have "Must hate Apple" glasses

This kind of mindless pointless over-hyping by the media is where that "must hate Apple" attitude comes from.

This situation had exactly SQUAT to do with Apple but some fanboy had to associate them with a project they really had nothing to do with.

1
2
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Cough...

...once you get past the blithering fanboy headline.

1
0

Why women won't apply for IT jobs

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Quite.

I am certainly not going to encourage the next generation to get into IT. It's a thankless job that you're better off avoiding unless you've got a yen for it. With offshore outsourcing, people should be surprised that anyone is still going into IT. Never mind the gender balance.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: I must of missed

In Pakistan, being an engineer is well respected and on par with being a Doctor.

It's nothing like that in the US.

The US has a quite anti-intellectual culture and we have the elevation of athletes and things like "Revenge of the Nerds". It's little wonder that only dedicated geeks enter ANY sort of engineering or tech field. It doesn't help that most Engineering programs don't try to retain people but try to actively discourage them.

A 6th generation female engineer from the eastern bloc might be successfully put off by the entry level CIS course.

4
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Utter nonsense

Certs are nonsense. They are time consuming and don't really mean much. They do allow you to get familiar with industry jargon but that's about it. If you are interested in a particular feature then you need to ask about a particular feature. Oracle version numbers are less than meaningless. Having been exposed to the latest version doesn't mean squat if your experience is shallow or if it is lacking whatever new shiny shiny that you happen to have a fixation on.

Even beyond tall of that, the quality of the professional in question is the most important thing of all.

This is something that corporations have lost sight of.

A professional doesn't need to be custom crafted like some unskilled laborer.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: seen job adds lately ?

Every job has nonsense. Either you are willing to put up with the nonsense or not. The fact that there is supposed to be unusual nonsense in IT doesn't really matter. You either want to shatter the glass ceiling or you don't. If women self-select against IT in University, then the rest of us can hardly be blamed for lack of balance out in practice.

IT has it's own set of nonsense that has nothing to do with gender bias. It may be that for whatever reason (socially indoctrinated or not) that women just aren't interested in the field.

4
0

Lords call for the end of TV transmissions

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: OK...

> "Re New Builds, why the hell do they not have Cat5 cable, or at least conduits, between rooms? "

> Because, by the time it becomes standard to install Cat5, we will want fibre between rooms or be wireless.

The cable bundle I put into my walls 6 years ago already has fiber. The marginal cost of doing this was trivial at the time. Alternatively, I could have just run conduit.

Specifying conduit in the building code would make a great deal of sense. It would be a bit more expensive but it would be very future proof.

Either way, I'm not seeing wired Gigabit becoming obsolete any time soon. I can to file transfers at 100MB/s from one corner of my house to the other and I don't see any consumer tech matching that any time soon.

3
0

Disk demand after Thai floods drains away - unlike Seagate's coffers

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: in a few years time only fascists will use hard discs

> in a few years time only fascists will use hard discs

>flash is the future

When they have a 10TB or even a 4TB flash drives on the market let us know...

2
1

Hobbyist builds working assault rifle using 3D printer

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Buy in bulk.

If you could get ammo at Sam's Club or Costco, having 6000 rounds doesn't sound all that extreme. It would not be the first sort of thing people bought by the case just to save a buck.

0
0

Apple refutes 'Sony Jony' iPhone prototypes

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: They are all the same

No. The similar prototype from Sony if it doesn't show blatant copying by Apple does demonstrate how form follows function here. Given the same components and the same parts and the same expertise, you are likely to end up with a lot of "copies".

This is why the bar for granting patents should be more like a pole vault and less like a limbo.

Otherwise you prevent multiple entities in industry from applying the same level of expertise and getting a similar result. That is far more damaging than whatever benefit arises from giving Apple (or anyone else) ownership of the market.

Citizens should be less tolerant of these shenanigans. Some tar and some feathers should enter in here somewhere. Perhaps even some dumping in Boston harbor.

3
1

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD review

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: @It doesn't matter how long the warranty is...

It's like the bit from Fight Club.

If the math works out, they will do it.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: price

Warranty? Really?

I go by the reviews. If something doesn't get a lot of eggs and I'm not already familiar with it, then I don't buy it.

OCZ has crap reviews for quality. I don't want to have to use the warranty. If I'm using the warranty (extended or otherwise) then the entire purchase has already been a failure.

0
0

Surface slab WILL rub our PC-making pals the wrong way – Microsoft

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Where have you been?

> Misrepresenting a product is really the last thing you want to be doing for sustained business.

You are assuming (wrongfully) that anyone is thinking that far ahead.

3
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: The SEC Filing Game

No. The SEC is very serious. You don't lie to the SEC. It's far worse than lying to the FBI.

The FBI only cares about silly things like kidnapping. The SEC safeguards money for the wealthy.

It's more serious than you silly let-the-corporations-have-no-accountability tort reform rhetoric implies.

2
1

'We asked firms if they were looking at Windows 8, most laughed'

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Windows 8 is brilliant

Having a tablet interface be the default for a desktop is just moronic. It doesn't matter if Microsoft is doing it, or if Canonical is doing it, or if Apple is doing it.

The "non-geek" crowd simply doesn't take perverse pleasure in finding where Microsoft hid stuff this time.

HID consistency has a 4th dimension to it.

12
0

Gabe Newell: Windows 8 is a 'catastrophe' for PC biz

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: I believe the MS is getting a unusually bad rap here on this one.....

> It doesn't stop you installing Windows 8 on your existing PC!

>

> It doesn't stop you building a custom PC!

It doesn't stop you from being marginalized in the marketplace.

Those are your solutions? Aging legacy hardware and building it yourself?

You might as well declare that I have the option to buy a farm in Lancaster, PA.

1
0

Why British TV drama is crap – and why this matters to tech firms

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: British TV drama is NOT crap

It seems like all of the comparisons are being drawn between UK "broadcast" and US "cable". Some of these American shows are on channels that most people don't even get. They 'realso are on channels with a different business model than nearly all other channels on either side of the pond.

Kind of an unfair comparison really.

If you have to use something from HBO to eviscerate Brit TV then you can't be doing too poorly really.

0
0

Fear not, Linux admins: There are TOOLS to help you

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Err?

I don't think you fully comprehend the scope of the problem described.

2
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Linux - Exceptionally Secure??!! LOL

> The average distribution has ten times as many vulnerabilites than a Microsoft OS and twice as many as OS-X.

You can kid yourself all you like. That won't alter the fact that 99.9% of the malware that exists is for WinDOS.

You are trying to confuse the issue by conflating every single little bug that never hurt anyone with Windows worms that have managed to effectively disable the entire Internet. Of course they're not the same thing.

So you're not kidding anyone.

6
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Err?

> Tell me which of those files is a picture of a dog - Use the GUI

Out of a thousand files? Are you kidding? That's going to be a ton of work.

It would be far better to do that with an automated tool. The real problem is that no such beast seems to exist. You use the GUI because you don't have a better option, not because it is actually a better option.

3
1

SanDisk: Yargh, nobody does SD-cards bundled with phones anymore

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Wish they sold them in lots...

I take that back. SD cards aren't any less absurd than DVDs. At least I can write on my DVDs and tell at a clance what's on them.

An SD card may or may not last longer but it will likely get lost in the couch cushions.

SD cards are great for expandable storage in devices. They're terribly silly when it comes to carying things around.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Wish they sold them in lots...

Are you kidding? Are you on crack? Are you being sarcastic?

2G SD cards? Really. That's just puny. You can't back up squat on one of those. You'll be like some guy from the 80s with a stack of floppies Except floppies are actually a lot easier to deal with because you can actually see the and put writable labels on them.

There's a reason that Trek "invented" the micro floppy in the 60s.

Using SD cards is less absurd than using DVDs but in 2012 that's not really saying much.

0
0

Dell readies Linux Ultrabook for autumn release

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Trolling nonsense...

> Sure, you could buy any laptop and spend 3 weeks downloading different Linux distros

I started using Ubuntu after a 6.x release worked flawlessly with a company issued Dell laptop.

0
0

McDonalds staff 'rough up' prof with home-made techno-spectacles

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Funnily enough...

Quite. It's a hamburger stand with indoor seating.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Kids

> Read the original blog piece. He was there with his kids. You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

I've been all around the world with Jedi 2.0 and we've never once resorted to an American fast food franchise.

2
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Been there, done that.

While you may not need to avoid the French food in Paris, you can certainly find a better place to eat on the Champs-Elyse than Icky Micky. The Lowenbrau Beer Hall being an obvious place. Dunno if it's a chain. Dunno if it's still even there. Clearly there are better options than Icky Micky.

H*ll. A NYC hot dog pushcart is a better option than Icky Micky. Find yourself a crepe stand or something.

0
0

Valve to raise Steam for Ubuntu

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: 'iTunes for PC games' ???

> I think you'll find that actually iTunes is Steam for music...

...except programs actually have a reason to be associated with a single quasi-monopoly vendor. Music does not. Programs by their very nature have to be associated with a particular platform or vendor.

Music is an industry standard that got turned into a single-vendor proprietary standard by Apple.

The proprietary and DRM aspect of games only reflects the status quo that has existed since the dawn of computing.

2
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Platform meaningless without games

Steam on Linux will very likely be very much like steam on MacOS.

To some degree this will just be a marketplace for games that already exist (mainly indies). That's not a bad thing. I am not sure that Canonical is up to running an app store. A 3rd party game oriented one is not a bad thing. It will probably hit most of the likely need for a commercial app store for desktop Linux.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Other distros

> un-reconcileable dependency differences

Nonsense. I have had both new and ancient software co-existing on Linux for pretty much as long as it has existed. Some things are as trivial as tricking the old software into thinking your new library is the old library. Alternatively, you can just have the old libraries.

I find your lack of examples disturbing.

3
1

Early verdict on Intel Ultrabook™ push: FAIL

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Netbook

I would rather be able to ditch the docking station and have access to 100MB/s file transfers over GigE without having a lot of extra stuff to carry or without the need to turn my laptop into a desktop.

If you have to argue that you can transform your portable device into something better with lots of OTHER gear, then you've missed the point entirely.

Dongles are for 80s 8-bit computers.

1
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: wow

You mean people are cheapskates? Otherwise there would not be a lot of free ad-ware in the Apple store.

You can BS us about Macs. For phones it's a little harder. They are more widespread and they are subsidized. It's far more likely that one of us will know better and see through your nonsense.

No. What I desire less with Android is not apps (or paid apps), it's jailbreaking. There is less reason to jailbreak and Android phone.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Crap keyboard

I've tried to use the MBA as well as other current Apple products.

Anything with an Apple keyboard attached simply sucks great big donkey balls.

I've had durable and reliable laptops from PC vendors before. I realize that they aren't some myth. I also realize that Apple hardware breaks too. I've seen it for myself. Usability and capability would come first, then followed by the things that Apple users value.

So it is little surprise that what might go over well in the Apple enclave might not work so well for the rest of the market.

We've already done that netbook thing already.

0
0

Seize your moment, Microsoft: iPad is RUBBISH for enterprise

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: iPads in the enterprise

Quite. Effective use of tablets for "serious work" seem to center about their media consumption capabilities. If you have a business task that can be described in those Quicktime-esque terms then you're good. Beyond that, you should not drink the kool-aid so much.

0
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Really? I would never have guessed!

If you can really fend for yourself, then that's all well and good. Except you can't. You will inevitably get to the point where you need to be bailed out by the exact same people who's advice you decided to ignore.

Those of us with a clue will have to clean up after you like a nanny chasing a toddler.

2
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

It's the form factor, not the CPU.

The problem is not the processor. It's the form factor. The "mouse-only" approach only gets you so far. So does the fact that this virtual mouse is also embedded into the display and the fact that the display itself is pretty small.

There are many things to criticize there. A different tablet might also be more useful just as all old school graphics terminals aren't all created equal. I would hiss at a '94 era PC setup just as loudly as I would an iPad.

0
1

WD: HDD prices won't fall to pre-flood levels until 2013

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: @Dazed and Confused

No. It's not the same as with an HDD. A HDD with an error is still mostly usable. You can at least do data recovery against it. A bad SSD is just a brick.

Seriously. It's enough of a difference that some of us have to worry about destroying spinny disks when disposing of old ones.

2
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: They won't fall to that ever.

That's funny.

Not only is SSD gravely more expensive, but there simply aren't any SSD drives to match the larger spinny disks.

It's hard to eviscerate your rivals when you don't even offer any sort of replacement product.

3
0

Dell seeks Linux fans to try cut-price Ubuntu Ultrabook

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Lame and Lamer.

> Intel drivers are not good enough even to play Super Meat Boy.

Intel GPUs are not good enough to even play "Super Meat Boy". The quality of the driver doesn't matter so much.

It's AMD is where good kit goes wrong with bad drivers (on Linux).

Nvidia GPUs of various kinds and price points are very respectable on Linux.

1
0

Seagate fscks up: Disk drive sales fall short by $500m

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Idiot managers should cut prices and release huge disks now!

Drive capacities have stagnated. That's a fact. They could drive new sales by pushing the boundaries a bit. They could finally release their 4TB drives in retail packaging and push the upper bound a little higher.

Wouldn't hurt to improve sequential r/w performance either.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Seagate Schmeegate

Their winter of crapulence was like 3 years ago. Seagate had their time and took their knocks. Now it's time to move on and stop living in the past and actually make comments based on recent information.

Seagate's aren't so bad now. What worries me now are SSDs that die suddenly with no warning.

0
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Still A Tasty Profit Margin

Intel? Are you kidding? They aren't just the poster-boy for cartels. They're the poster-boy for monpolies.

Software has a marginal production cost of ZERO. So that's a bad example too.

2
0

Numbers don't lie: Apple's ascent eviscerates Microsoft

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

The proof is in the pudding

Clearly, if the peanut gallery only sees iThings being used as oversized iPods then they are obviously justified in calling iThings as overpriced toys for suburbanites with money to burn and a need to show off to the neighbors.

You don't get to depend on wishful thinking regarding your particular brand fetish.

It has to prove itself yet and that simply not happened yet.

PhoneOS "sales" are irrelevant when compared to Windows. Lumping them in with MacOS sales to give yourself some sort of ego boost is simply out of touch with reality.

0
2
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: MS.....

I tried to give a Mac to the missus. The "oddness" of it still put her off. She ended up going back to Windows because of obscure Windows-only apps that none of you've ever heard of.

She was less bothered by Linux but Apple doesn't play nice with it (iPhone).

It's not the big brand names that are a problem. It's the obscure stuff for industries you may never even have heard of that will be the big problem.

1
2

Forums