* Posts by JEDIDIAH

2360 posts • joined 26 Jan 2009

Microsoft herds biz users to Windows 10 by denying support for Win 7 and 8 on new CPUs

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Trained monkeys and other nonsense...

>> I don't need to know all the intricacies of LDAP, KERBEROS, and NFS and SAMBA to have a working network.

> Of course you don't. What was your point?

I've seen what this Microsoft mentality produces. It produces ignorant gits that can't handle anything that's the slightest bit unexpected. They also tend to ignore very BASIC issues that are spelled out with a map and a flashlight in the most rudimentary vendor documentation. They really have no clue what they are doing and don't care to. Sure they can deploy something that seems functional but it's really a ticking time bomb that may explode in your face at any moment.

If an NT admin isn't a menace and waste of skin then they are perfectly able to deal with Unixen (not just Linux) too.

7
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: The more they push

I appreciate your enthusiasm but a VM is no place for gaming.

6
1

Boozing is unsafe at ‘any level’, thunders chief UK.gov quack

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Hands up who didn't see this coming?

...except smoke in general is a poison that will kill you and one that people usually avoid.

2nd hand smoke also contains nasty industrial pollutants that may not harm the smoker but can and do harm the people around him.

Booze only pickles the person actually drinking. The fact that my cancer (likely caused by 2nd hand smoke) has left my liver in a condition that forces me to be sober does not put me at any risk from the guy guzzling booze next to me.

Entirely different situation.

...now even Russian males don't think it's cool to subject people to 2nd hand smoke and they're like the biggest jack*sses on the planet.

8
3
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: There is no safe level…

After contracting an obscure form of cancer at an unusually early age, I am no longer impressed by these kinds of announcements (especially if they relate to cancer).

;-ppppp

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Calling Ben Goldacre

I would be tempted to stay and wait for the cop, or call the cops myself or call the concierge number on my fancy overpriced charge card and ask them to call the home office.

0
0

Plain cruelty: Boffins flay Linux ransomware for the third time

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: In what sense is this a Linux issue?

The problem with the Windows platform is that the biggest problem children in terms of insecure bug ridden apps have also been from Microsoft.

0
1

Sanders presidential campaign accuses Democrats of dirty data tricks

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Outsource fail.

This sounds like a classic case of outsource fail. Leave it to someone else any they will screw it up for you. You might even be left totally out in the cold. Perhaps it's not such a bright idea to muddle together data and systems between two or more warring factions.

2
0

After Death Star II blew: Dissecting the tech of Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

What nonsense.

Hayden's conversion to the dark side is utter rubbish. So is his romance with Amidala. Natalie has done better in other roles. Her actual acting abilities are not disputable. Hayden has never demonstrated likewise.

Ewan would have stomped all over him in his earlier days. When he was young, he was a natural for the part, but he played Obi Wan instead.

4
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

That sabre.

That sabre is as ragged as the technique of the man who wields it. It's like he's barely had any sword training at all. He looks like Adam Savage (before the Jedi training) slashing around with that thing.

Fat-over-the-hill Stephen Seagal could wipe the floor with him. So could any other Kendo or Aikido master.

3
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Other nitpicks.

I found the lack of other fighter types a bit jarring. I also though the resistance was a bit under equipped. The attack on that regulator seemed like the perfect role for a heavy bomber with the X-wings there to provide air cover. Something like B-Wings or Y-Wings should have been pounding on that regulator and a single proton torpedo should have blasted a nice big hole in it.

3
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: It's not that unlikely

Even better, Finn was sitting BACKWARDS while shooting forwards. He was was targeting strictly by instruments.

Of course Rebel intelligence was oddly extremely effective. That was the first time Poe ever flew that fighter.

1
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: 50 years?

> AK47 nuff said

M1911

3
0

US Navy's newest ship sets sail with Captain James Kirk at the bridge

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Phew

Well, the USN kind of doesn't. If you read the article you would be aware that they ordered a bunch of these and then scaled that back. The "I told you so's" were already right there in the article.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: I sincerely hope

Kirk is not an aviator, so it's not likely. He's more "Heavy Cruiser" material.

0
0

Sysadmin's former boss claims five years FREE support or off to court

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

That subpeona is a double edged sword.

Testimony can be compelled for civil cases but then you end up with a hostile witness.

1
0

Who owns space? Looking at the US asteroid-mining act

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: What did the Romans ever do for us...

Also, most Romans were slaves and not citizens and thus had no say regarding anything at all.

Besides, Rome was a republic. So this mob rule idea that the OP is pushing flies straight in the face of actual Roman practice. Some "legal expert".

0
0

Oracle confesses to quietly axing its UK software support centre

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Is there any legitimate reason to choose Oracle?

Analysts? What utter nonsense. They bought a Unix vendor. Beyond that, anyone else claiming anything is just morons pulling sh*t out of their ass.

If they did intend to "buyout the competition" then that's just retarded because the only thing they gained ownership over is a name. It's Free Software. Anyone can fork it. People WILL fork it if you annoy them. Case in point MySQL and OpenOffice.

Oracle are the poster boys for how you can't "buy out" Free Software.

Not that MySQL in any way shape or form is a replacement for Oracle (or even Postgres).

0
1

Superfish 2.0 worsens: Dell's dodgy security certificate is an unkillable zombie

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: re-installed from one of the other Dell services that starts up?

It sounds like re-installing from scratch using OEM media should be the best practice used by geeks everywhere...

0
0

Holy litigation, Batman! Custom Batmobile cars nixed by copyright

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: What is it with the reg...

Actually, I would not call WB a "legitimate IP holder" here. Certainly not for the 1966 series. That should be all in the public domain by now. The only reason it isn't is because of corporate corruption of the law and changing the rules after something's already been published.

Current work, being produced by a working professional, is a much more compelling case for the use (or abuse) of copyright.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: It might because because its early so I apologise

> So if you designed something, you'd be happy for people to rip it off and make money for it?

When I was a contributor to such things, I would have been humiliated and mortified if no one wanted to pirate it. There's nothing more embarrassing than being associated with a dud that no one even wants to pirate.

That said, WB is leaving money on the table. They simply can't be bothered. In that situation, I also would not get my panties in a bunch if some enterprising fan filled the gap.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Another case of zero net effect.

Sure. Because WB was just suffering terribly because nobody was buying THEIR replicas... [/sarc]

This case had zero actual damages.

0
1

Apple's design 'drives up support costs, makes gadgets harder to use'

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: @ El Reg

> Can you come up with a former Apple fanboy icon?

Something like a cross between a broken heart and the old rainbow apple logo?

1
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: But

If you "need to search for documentation", then you might as well be using VMS.

The WHOLE POINT of modern UI design is supposed to be that you don't have to do that. That was kind of a key thesis of the article we're discussing right now.

4
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Good points

Idiots think that it's a good idea to just copy Apple. It doesn't even matter if they've actually bothered to use what they are trying to copy.

1
0

Phone-fondling docs, nurses sling patient info around willy-nilly

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Is is really that important?

> Except insurance companies, and maybe blackmailers if STDs are involved..

My insurance company already knows how sick I am.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Mobile Phone use in a hospital

> You don't really want to lie ill in bed surrounded by people bellowing into their mobile phones, do you?

No. I want to be the one bellowing into my mobile phone.

Videoconferencing: perhaps you've heard of it?

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Load of bollocks

In all of the (American) facilities I have been in, the staff are issued their own personal mobiles to use during their shift. They are actually pretty primitive. I've never seen an American nurse use a personal device on the job.

Although I have seen them jibber jabber on their hospital supplied mobes in the middle of a procedure. I find THAT far more disturbing than a data breach.

Clearly they are not autistic enough.

0
0

The only GOOD DRONE is a DEAD DRONE. Y'hear me, scumbags?!

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: "The only GOOD DRONE is a DEAD DRONE. Y'hear me, scumbags?!"

Fat lot of good a rifle is without ammo. Do they at least get to keep their bayonets?

1
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Paint balls vs CCTV

>> US gun law generally forbids convicted felons and violent mentally ill people from owning guns.

>

> How's that working out for you?

...about as well as the war on drugs.

2
0

Deutsche Bank to axe 'excessively complex' IT, slash 9,000 jobs

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Forking hell!

Even if they move to SAP, they still have to figure out which of the 45 versions of Linux they are going to use.

Although the support list for the version of SAP they are using will probably drive that.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Oh yeah...

...or get fired in a round of cost cutting. I was working at such an outsourcer when they decide to rearrange the deck chairs. They ditched telecommuting in favor of a physical location that no good IT would want to relocate to. Then they fired all of the legacy staff that had all of the tribal knowledge. Of course it was a total disaster. What was left of the telecommuter admin pool had to make up for the idiots sitting in the middle of Montana. Eventually they just ditched the idiots in Montana and were left with the telecommuters minus anyone who had a clue.

Sometimes I wonder why corporate America doesn't just implode.

16
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Respect

I wonder how much of this is driven by legacy apps they can't replace and more modern apps that have their own system requirements. I knew of an old pick app that was mission critical and no one could manage to replace it. They tried. Oh they tried. Every young new CxO tried to get rid of that thing with something shiny and new. The new hotness could never do the job.

So forget operating systems. I wonder how many database platforms they support because of the aforementioned application system requirements...

11
0

Scrapheap challenge: How Amazon and Google are dumbing down the gogglebox

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Yes ,

TVs (and bluray players) are computers anymore.

The Sony BD models even come with GPL disclaimers and a list of projects Sony used to make the product.

0
0

French say 'non' to Netflix, reveals entertainment report

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: The disc world ...

> I like your thinking however that would require me getting off my fat lardy arse and going to the shops at specific times of the day and only on specific days

What? No Amazon over there?

I'm under a strict medical quarantine and I can still "shop until I drop" and I don't have to get up out of this here chair...

...and there's still the classic Netflix service too. Although procrastination becomes a problem.

0
0

Introducing the Asus VivoMini UN42 – a pint-sized PC, literally

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: bitstreaming?

A chromebox has the GPU juice to decode blurays. This probably does too.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: I assume this is a fanless design

...except you can always turn off a PC. A little fan noise probably won't be audible once you start to actually use the PC. Your AV system will drown it out or you will get distracted with what yo actually use the PC for.

0
0

Another day, another stunning security flaw in Android – this time hitting 55% of mobes

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: innocuous-looking app which, when installed

No, it's not a shock. Exploiting Unix with a local privilege escalation hack is nothing new. Back in the day, some people considered this sort of thing a hobby. One of my college profs was one such hobbyist.

1
1

Want to download free AV software? Don't have a Muslim name

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Sting like a butterfly...

Mr Ali just needs to start using the alias Cassius Clay.

0
0

Virtually no one is using Apple Music even though it is utterly free

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: ...and how much does Netflix cost a month?

The cost of Netflix includes VIDEO which has always been more expensive than music. Over here, it's a replacement for 30 or so of the channels you would have on a 500 channel package. It's basically all of the reruns you would get on cable.

Plus Netflix has original content along the lines of AMC or HBO.

That makes Netflix a considerably better value. Apple has to compete with that and every other audio and video service.

Pandora is just plain free. Spotify has a free option too.

Apple is late to the party and they have to prove themselves.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: @Richard Taylor

"most people"

That already tells me that it's feasible that someone could notice the difference.

"most" actually leaves quite a lot of people out there able to tell the difference. Otherwise, the exclusionary language would have been stronger.

1
1

Free Windows 10 upgrades from Microsoft will FLATTEN PC sales

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Re: Windows 10 won't give PC sales a fillip

They must have vastly improved their reliability recently because the Macs that I owned were nothing to write home about in terms of reliability. They also weren't terribly good in terms of performance either.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Would many people notice Media Center [sic] vanishing?

There is NOTHING special about "usability" in MCE.

The only advantage it has when it comes to tuners is the DRM infested ones they use in America.

Plus, that's even only relevant for land line cable monopolies. Those DRM tuners don't support American sat service at all.

0
0

Windows 10 is FORCING ITSELF onto domain happy Windows 7 PCs

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: We haff ways of MAKING you inztall!

I was wondering if something like this was impacting my machine at the office, my connection to it, and the general sluggishness of the work network. It seemed like a little too much of a coincidence...

They're stealing our kittens!

5
0

John McAfee cuffed by Tennessee cops, faces drug-driving, gun rap

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Perry Mason always gets you off...

...as long as he was lucid enough to decline any form of drug testing, he might actually get off.

1
0

Windows 10 marks the end of 'pay once, use forever' software

JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

High IO on Win10

It seems like any time you open the control panel in Win10 the IO goes crazy.

I also run it in a VM.

0
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Business market?

There's little money to be made from home users in general.

They don't buy the highly expensive professional flagship products that platform partisans like to fixate on.

For a lot of users, there's really nothing keeping them on Windows but decades of pervasive FUD.

3
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Fact, or speculation and FUD?

> And if you were a highly experienced software developer you wouldn't make a comment like that.

You mean GAME developer.

The rest of us appreciate "stability" in the Debian sense of the word.

Needing to basically learn a whole new API between major releases of a library is not cool unless you're trying to squeeze every bit of juice you can out of current hardware and don't care how you do it.

3
0
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

Re: Such as ?

> We need marketing people to reconnect with the real world and realise that adverts and subscriptions are about as popular as cancer.

No. We exist in a vanishingly small minority of people that think ads are any problem at all.

Otherwise, we would not have had about 100 years of ad supported free media.

Time to face facts. You and I are weirdos.

0
3
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Linux

They're escaping the quarantine zone!

Well, I do care about new Windows machines becoming part of a bit torrent swarm without the consent or knowledge of the end user. At that point, it's not just Lemming self-flagellation anymore. That's something that can impact me if I happen to be sharing a network with a new WinBox. Plus friends and family will be impacted and likely experience "mysterious internet slowdowns".

I'm not a Windows user but I'm often called upon to rescue them.

3
1
JEDIDIAH
Silver badge
Devil

Meh.

No. I think it's just backlash from butthurt Lemmings that see all of the negative articles here.

I don't really have to say anything negative about Windows. El Reg is doing fine without me.

0
1

Forums