2 posts • joined 12 Dec 2008
Linutop 2 = winner
I got a Linutop equivalent after Liam Proven's review of it. It's just fantastic. I use it as a household server (plug USB external drives into it) and bedroom video player. It's SILENT. Gaffer over the lights and away you go. I heartily recommend a box like this to anyone. The Linutop 2 had a Geode 400MHz processor and could play full-screen video in VLC; this should do even better.
(Handy hints: remove OpenOffice, you'll never use it. Set it not to reset every reboot. Remove anything else you can.)
The killer feature: 1. It's a Linux box. 2. It's SILENT. This is brilliant and irreplaceable.
The IWF did worse than is known
I didn't manage to get this across in Monday's media coverage - but here's what the IWF did:
1. Blocked the text page on en.wikipedia.org talking about the album - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Killer
2. Blocked the text page on en.wikipedia.org describing the image and its origin, copyright status, etc - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Virgin_Killer.jpg (now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Virgin_Killer.jpg)
3. COMPLETELY NEGLECTED to block the image itself - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Virgin_Killer.jpg or http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/33/Virgin_Killer.jpg/200px-Virgin_Killer.jpg - note also that the MediaWiki software will create thumbnails of any size when a page requests it.
So they were not only hamfisted, but actually technically incompetent.
Apparently the notion of high-traffic websites serving images from a separate server is beyond their understanding, only having become common practice in 1997 or so.
There is no evidence to suggest they have *ever* blocked an image properly, because they never tell.
- Updated HIDDEN packet sniffer spy tech in MILLIONS of iPhones, iPads – expert
- Peak Apple: Mountain of 80 MILLION 'Air' iPhone 6s ordered
- Students hack Tesla Model S, make all its doors pop open IN MOTION
- BBC goes offline in MASSIVE COCKUP: Stephen Fry partly muzzled
- PROOF the Apple iPhone 6 rumor mill hype-gasm has reached its logical conclusion