2 posts • joined 21 Nov 2008
Hey Mr Phreaky,
it happens the power companies have a surplus of electricity available overnight, which -- surprise -- happens to be when most people *aren't* driving around. The baseload stations can't ramp up production for the day and shut down overnight, so at night they have a fair amount of overcapacity. In the UK, you can buy that night-time electricity at less than a third of the daytime price, and overnight charging actually makes the entire system (power station + distribution grid) more efficient by averaging out the load somewhat.
Please note proximity of this transmitter to Windscale/Sellafield reprocessing plant -- about 20 miles, or far enough away not to be affected by minor accidents, but well within blast range of any significant nuclear events.
So if the signal stops, the Centaurans will know not to head for the Lake District on their next visit.
- Asteroid's SHOCK DINO KILLING SPREE just bad luck - boffins
- BEST BATTERY EVER: All lithium, all the time, plus a dash of carbon nano-stuff
- Stick a 4K in them: Super high-res TVs are DONE
- Just TWO climate committee MPs contradict IPCC: The two with SCIENCE degrees
- Review You didn't get the MeMO? Asus Pad 7 Android tab is ... not bad