6 posts • joined 22 Oct 2008
"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is a brilliant science fiction story (1966 Robert Heinlein) which does not use "the" except in the title.
According to Wikipedia, this was to reflect the impact on language from the large number of Russian deportees to the moon. "the" does not exist in most Slavic languagues.
Underground Coal Gasification
I'm putting some faith in ways to extract gas from all the coal we have - see project in the Firth of Forth. No more miners, just pumps and pipes to extract the gas. Need some carbon capture and storage though to counter the greenhouse effect.
"Access the My Oracle Support Welcome Center for migration information, training, significant changes and answers to Frequently Asked Questions."
but links for the free MySQL Community Edition take you back to www.mysql.com.
Showing Microsoft how to write software
by reorganising the data and removing the bloat.
Microsoft aren't interested in better products, only products with more features.
Hadn't heard of surfclarity before. I find OptimizeGoogle does the job quite well on my Firefox.
The risks are obvious
Sounds like the service Dell are offering.
The "ability to remotely disable lost or stolen laptops" is scary. How soon before the wrong laptop is disabled by accident or a faulty laptop disables itself?
- Just TWO climate committee MPs contradict IPCC: The two with SCIENCE degrees
- 14 antivirus apps found to have security problems
- Feature Scotland's BIG question: Will independence cost me my broadband?
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- FTC to mobile carriers: If you could stop text scammers being jerks that'd be just great