5 posts • joined 10 Oct 2008
Where there is admin access over the network then there is always going to be a risk.. always.
Lessons need to be learned from clustered solutions that lock down the data from malicious/accidental deletion.
Physical access to the media is a different thing altogether...
I too hope for the customers sake that Centera does not drop off the face of the earth. Your data should outlive your vendor or its product lines ... www.tinyurl.com/keepyourdataalive
Incidentally, I heard that the prevalent content type of the data was cheque images, email and financial data with an average file size of 25kb....that's a lot of files.
Another interesting factoid: the $/GB of Centera was rumoured to be in the $15-20/GB ... 1.5PB * ...... owch
Sad day for my friends in Mechelen, there will be some talented clustered storage boys and girls hitting the market today.
Just to clarify that MatrixStore software is available globally on the Mac OS:
The appliance version is currently only available in the UK though we re more than happy to talk to people outside of the region:
@Mr C Hill
Tape media is indeed cheap but the management of it in medium/large organisations over a 5/10 year period may not be.. a couple of posts that may be of interest:
Is it time for a data tsar?
- Breaking news: Google exec veep in terrifying SKY PLUNGE DRAMA
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Google CEO Larry Page gives Sundar Pichai keys to the kingdom
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? SKYPE has the HOTS for my NAKED WIFE