Feeds

* Posts by Bassey

1009 posts • joined 23 Sep 2008

Knee X-ray biometrics plan to fight spoofing

Bassey
Thumb Down

Right...

So, according to it's authors, it doesn't work very well and it causes cancer. How the hell did this idea ever get published?

0
0

Samsung phone recognises people, calls them

Bassey

Re: AC

You're completely missing the point. You don't ask "why?" you say "oooooh, shiny new thing!".

Tut.

0
0

Lite-on eSAU208-16

Bassey

Price?

Looks nice but £65 FFS! As an add-on to a supposed cheap laptot £65 seems massively excessive - especially when you can get standard external drives for about £15.

0
0

WAG sues CPW for phone pic nick

Bassey

Where was the mental distress?

If she's a glamour model, presumably such pics are already plastered all over the web so where is the mental stress. Infringement of her own image rights I could understand, given that they were clearly personal pics and not intended for publiction but for a glamour model to cry about someone threatening to publish pictures that show her in a state of undress? It's like a computer programmer complaining that someone tried to publish photos of him sitting at a desk surrounded by coke bottles and pizza boxes.

0
0

Leaving PCs on costing UK business millions

Bassey

Not the real cost

£17 a year per PC! My company has just implemented this shut-down policy and I'm sure they pay me an awful lot more than £17 a year to stare at a "Your computer is starting" screen each morning.

0
0

Nokia unfolds 7205 Intrigue

Bassey

Seen before

Didn't Motorola have something very similar a few years ago called the Pebl?

0
0

Carbonite tells Promise: You're toast

Bassey

Ru, Lee AC et al

Maybe I've misunderstood something here but you are all basically saying "But everyone knows that this stuff doesn't really work therefore it's Carbonite's fault, not the company who sells the stuff that doesn't work"? Am I right?

Sure, you can argue Carbonite should have done MORE but this article is about a suit that effectively says "You sold us a product that you said could do A and it didn't" which, with what we currently know, seems a pretty reasonable argument.

0
0

Boffins finger reason for non-aligned cows

Bassey

But why?

Is there any Darwinian advantage to be gained by bovine polar alignment?

I think follow-up research is urgently required.

0
0

Mozilla hangs fire on Firefox 3.5 till June

Bassey

No wonder it's been delayed

My experience is that beta 3 is a crok of shite. I installed it over the weekend and it's barely stayed up for more than five minutes since. I've rebooted, re-installed etc. but it just falls over and dies after a couple of minutes. In fact, last night it wouldn't even get as far as rendering my homepage.

I've actually resorted to using IE8 RC1 - which is surprisingly good. It imported all my Firefox bookmarks and settings and renders OWA sites particularly well. I'll still switch back to Firefox once they sort themselves out because I use a lot of their plugins but the new I8 is actually very good.

0
0

Opera chief: Microsoft's IE 8 ‘undermines’ web standards

Bassey
Stop

Contradictions galore

So he wants to see more competition in the market but he doesn't like the fact that Microsoft have started competing in the market again. He believes Microsoft are abusing their dominant position within the market and that this is a bad thing but he believes Microsoft should have used it's dominant position in the market place to drive the adoption of open standards.

I'm no fan of IE and I quite like Opera but this guys constant whining about unfair competition is getting annoying. Firefox and Safari have managed to make huge ground on IE whilst Opera has been, at best, treading water. That isn't Microsoft's fault. That is Opera's fault. Stop bitching about everyone else and demanding the teacher makes the big boys pass you the ball and get on with making your browser more successful.

0
0

Texting peer released from prison

Bassey

Re; RotaCyclic

So, so many incorrect statements.

> we know the accident wasn't caused by texting, but

> the fact remains that he killed someone by dangerous driving!

Try publishing that statement in a newspaper then! I dare you

He texted whilst driving. That was his offence. At a later point, he was involved in an entirely unrelated and (according to the Judge) unavoidable accident. You might disagree with some of the Judges conclusions that but the FACT is he did not kill someone by dangerous driving and stating so leaves you open to all sorts of shit.

> It says, you should be travelling at a speed which you can see to stop in.

> If you're driving along then you should be travelling at a speed such that if

> something out of the blue happens, you have enough time to brake, to bring

> the car to a stop without hitting the object.

Again, complete bollocks. The first line is true, the second bit is some bizare, extreme conclusion you have drawn and, again, are now stating as fact when it is far from it. Owning some book doesn't make you an expert. I'm sure I have a copy of the bible around here somewhere but I'm fairly confident I couldn't construct a universe in 6 days. Get some practical experience from someone who has actually done some advanced driving and stop talking Yoda-esque zen bollocks.

Tell me, if you are driving on the motorway at 70mph, do you ALWAYS leave enough of a gap between you and the car in front for you to stop at that speed? Of course not. But this is what you state SHOULD be done.

In this case (again, as recommended by others, actually reading about the case helps) the Peer was following several other cars at night on an unlit stretch. The first few cars obstructed his view of the accident so he could have been travelling at a speed at which he could stop, but it wouldn't have helped. He couldn't see it. It was unavoidable. READ IT

And the Police DO NOT train you to avoid all accidents under all circumstances. Believe me.

0
0

Apple restyles iPod Shuffle

Bassey
Flame

Clever

So now now you can't user better headphones than the crap ones supplied - unless, of course, you purchase the (soon to announced, I'm sure) Premium Shuffle headphones!

Genius

Apple. Where every sale is like a life sentence.

0
0

Royal Mail disses runaway post van man

Bassey

Hero?

A real hero would have shrugged it off as all in a days work. You don't see Superman claiming his dry cleaning costs back off the state every time he rescues an elevator full of innocents, do you?

0
0

No welcome in the valleys for Welsh incinerator

Bassey
Thumb Up

Not a problem

We have an "Energy from waste" plant over here. No one is bothered about it. It looks okay and, as far as I can tell, has no impact on the immediate surroundings. Still, I think they should take her up on her kind offer to fight until she dies. If all her Nimby-kind were prepared to be equally generous the world would be a much better place and the cost of such projects significantly lower.

0
0

Microsoft: Vista desktop key to life fulfillment

Bassey

Load of bollox

My icons are all arranged into neat rows and grouped by function but, the very fact that I'm here typing this, rather than trying to meet a very tight and important deadline, shows that I'm not in the least bit focused and have no idea how to organise or prioritise my work. I'm just obsessive compulsive and don't like things to look untidy.

0
0

Ryanair may charge cattle to use the bog

Bassey

Why do so many people fail to understand the word discetionary?

"...raising discretionary revenue so we can keep lowering the cost of air travel"

To the several above, there is nothing contradictory here. The key is the word "discretionary".

Look it up. It's a Friday afternoon. You've clearly nothing better to do.

0
0
Bassey

Great Interview

I was lucky enough to catch the interview on the beeb this morning. It was hilarious. The interviewers were doing their best to sound shocked and appalled and to try to get his back up and he simply kept laughing at them and using the whole thing as a free five minute advert. He even managed to get a few digs in at BA.

In response to an aggressive question about the costs for checked-in baggage he replied along the lines;

"Well, you can either pay us £34 for the ticket and then a few quid extra if you need baggage or you can pay BA £100 more and they'll just lose your bags for you".

He was on cracking form for 07:45.

I've never travelled with Ryanair and have no plans to but I do admire his bare-faced cheek. If people want to fly for next to nothing and then bitch like mad when they get charged a whole load of extras then that's up to them. It's not like there isn't any competition in the market.

0
0

UK kids presenter gets online support

Bassey

Bedding in time

At first I thought this new pair just needed a bit of "bedding in" time but, after nearly three weeks, they just seem to be crap. My little-uns don't even seem to have noticed the lack of arm. They just don't seem to pay as much attention as they do when Sid and Andy are on.

CBeebies world does seem to be rather over-populated with the disabled though. Ballamorey, Me Too!, Something Special, Mr Maker etc. I'm all for diversity but if Cbeebies were representative of the real world one in four of us would have a major disability!

0
0

Texting peer gets prison

Bassey
Flame

Did anyone else read this article

Did any of the above commentards read the article.? He was not found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving. It was just dangerous driving. There was no evidence linking the crash and the texting. Just read it FFS.

I have no sympathy with the retard and would have thrown the book at him anyway. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between someone texting at 60mph who then kills someone and another person who was texting at 60mph and didn't kill someone is pure luck and law shouldn't differentiate between the lucky and unlucky.

But he was convicted of Dangerous Driving, in which case 12 weeks, a 12 month ban and (relatively) big fine is quite a heavy sentence.

As I say, I don't agree with it, but please read the fecking article before starting your down trodden masses speeches. You sound like a Monty Python parody!

0
0

Intel sues Psion over 'netbook' trademark

Bassey

Infringement

Surely a word must have been in common use BEFORE the IP application for Intel et al's argument to stand up. If 20+ companies wilfully infringe on someone's IP so that the word BECOMES common useage, that is evidence of the scale of the damage done to the IP owners property, not proof of the 20+ companies innocence.

If I were to launch a chocolate bar and refer to it as a type of "Cadbury", and then encourage other chocolate bar manufacturers to do the same such that the public start referring to a type of chocolate bar as a "Cadbury", that's just proof that I've caused damage to the name Cadbury, not an argument for stripping another company of the name and calling it a "generic term".

0
0

NASA CO2 scan satellite launch fails

Bassey
Happy

How convenient

How convenient! NASA, one of the main sponsors of the man-made climate change hypothesis, has "accidentally" destroyed an instrument designed to provide actual hard evidence - rather than man-made models and wet-finger guess work.

0
0

NASA talks little green men with Vatican

Bassey
Stop

Re: Neil Stansbury

Yeah, when spouting about how great you are when it comes to believing things based on evidence, it's best not to dribble complete shite for which there is no evidence at all. There is nothing to suggest modern humans have ever believed the world to be flat and plenty to show the Romans, Greeks and many other societies before them were well aware the earth was most definitely not flat.

0
0

Philips prices up 21:9 ratio 'cinema' TV

Bassey

Re: Useless Gimmick

Actually, most films today come in the (annoying) 2.35 format, despite tellies having standardised on 16:9. That's why you still get thin black bars, even on a 16:9 TV. So all this telly needs is a bit of technical wizardry to strip out the black lines from the top and bottom of the picture - hardly Nuclear Fussion.

Still, at that price, I'll stick with the black lines thanks.

0
0

American Stereotype™ walks Google's mean Street View

Bassey

Obviously a fake

The rifle has obviously been photo-shopped in but that doesn't matter in the least. A fake well done, with a sense of humour, is a wonderful thing.

0
0

Memo to Microsoft: Enough with the SKUed Windows

Bassey

SKUs a PITA for testers

I'm currently system testing some software I've written. I'm the sole developer with limited resources but have to test on a minimum of Home Basic and the business editions of Vista (I'm assuming - perhaps incorrectly - that if it works on those two it will work on anything).

A separate netbook edition will just be another thing we have to test on AND will require a physical machine to test it. At least all the others can be created as VMs on the server for an RDP. And one extra thing to test might not sound like much but that's 50% more testing. In my case, three months rather than two.

0
0

The A-Team flies into Hollywood

Bassey
Thumb Down

Re: Jim Carrey

If they cast Jim Carrey as Murdoch then I shall go to the cinema and sit through the whole thing with my back to the screen and my fingers in my ears in protest. Just no.

0
0

Boffin dubs global warming 'irreversible'

Bassey
Stop

Oh yeah that's right

Not quite right. This site is frequented by people who would rather hear about Science from the scientific community and use that information to form their own opinions rather than have politicians or TV tell us what Scientists are thinking and what we should believe.

Your assertion that there is such a thing as a "Scientific Consensus" suggests you get your science from the latter group. Can you provide us with the statistical breakdown from the survey used to draw this conclusion or are you just quoting the BBC/Guardian? I'd really be interested to see if because the media and politicians are constantly telling us about it but I've yet to see the survey.

Maybe it's top secret?

0
0

Study slams brain-training games' mental improvement claims

Bassey

So in fact

So the conclusion appears to be not "they don't work" but, "they don't work any more than if you did them with a paper and pencil" which is the point of them, surely?

So the headline could factually read "Study shows brain training games work as well as paper-based excercised".

But that wouldn't grab many headlines now, would it?

0
0

HTC S740 Qwerty keyboard smartphone

Bassey

Re: David Evans

Sorry David, completely different. This uses Windows Mobile standard edition. As mentioned in the review, it has no touch screen and you cannot create or edit office documents (well, you can with third party software - but not as standard).

The Xperia is a Windows Mobile Professional device which means it has a touch screen, a full version of Office Mobile (you can create and edit office docs) and is also quite a lot larger ad heavier with a significantly larger/higher-res screen.

The XPeria is aimed at road-warriors, this is aimed at people who want a phone-sized device that is also good for email.

0
0

Infant calls cops to dad's dope plantation

Bassey

Just a guess

To those wondering on what grounds they searched the house, might I suggest that a pot-head with a toddler who was completely unaware his infant had been playing with a phone, for some period of time, tends to arouse reasonable suspicion of neglect, if nothing else. I think it would be neglectful for them not to have had a look around to make sure the kid was safe.

After all, it must have been a fair few minutes between the first phone call, them trying to call back, turning up, they had been knocking (no answer), then they break in? You've got to be looking at the best part of 15mins and the guy was unaware of anything?

I know you like to see black helicopters around every corner but, come on!

0
0

Sony and Microsoft clash over consoles

Bassey

Re: Profit

That's certainly my understanding. Also, the PlayStation division was the only part of Sony that WAS making money - until the PS3 launch.

0
0

Coming soon: Pills to 'turn down' your ears at clubs

Bassey

So many things wrong

Firstly, the drug only seems to reduce the perception of noise. Surely this could result in someone listening to louder music for longer and so cause MORE physical damage.

Secondly, if you insist on going to one of these places - Grumpy old man mode engaged - then surely it is FOR the loud music, so why would you want to turn it down? If you don't want to listen to loud music, then why would you go to a place whose whole existence is based around aural assault.

And, as mentioned by many above, if you do HAVE to be exposed to loud music (as I was way back when I was keeping it real, living the dream, playing in a band to packed-out houses of as many as 10 people) then you just wear proper, musicians ear plugs (I like the etymotic research ones).

I'm used to solutions looking for a problem but these guys seem to have identified a non-existent problem and have then produced a solution that wouldn't work. Genius!

0
0

Atek Logio password storage gadget

Bassey

Memory Masters

I'm glad AC and Ash are such memory masters. Unfortunately, those of us with merely human brains do struggle. I have around 20 passwords to remember at any one time. On average they have to be minimum 8 chars with mixed case and either a number or special character. However, Admin passwords are a minimum 12 chars with mixed case, numbers AND special chars.

And all of these have to be changed every 28 days with no repeats within that last 13 months and no words from a standard dictionary. Just coming up with new passwords every month is an exercise - never mind remembering the damn things.

To ensure I don't just end up using Mond@y1234 and such, I use a strong password generator to create "random" passwords within set parameters and these are then stored in a 256-bit AES encrypted database. All I have to do is decrypt the necessary password and then copy and paste it into the field.

0
0

Toshiba launches A350 Satellite into orbit

Bassey

Lost

Is there any particular reason Toshiba have cast the small keyboard adrift in a sea of nasty looking plastic?

0
0

Intel eyes sun-powered data centers

Bassey

Why the desert

I would have thought they could save a shit load of power (and money) by not building their data-centres in the middle of deserts where they require massive amounts of cooling. Move them to a more temperate climate and then harvest the waste-heat from the hardware using a heat-exchanger to augment the power supply.

0
0

Whose notebook is it anyway?

Bassey

Control my Arse

The users will have to pry control over what machines we use and how they are used out my cold dead hands.

There is one choice of desktop (with larger monitors for IT, Accounts and Managers) and one laptop. And it needs a damn good business case to get a laptop. Then, the laptop is locked down completely, hardware encrypted and can be remote wiped. Laptops are for business use only. No personal web browsing (internet access is locked down outside work hours without a business case and, in any case, is monitored) no games, no apps, no printing etc. Desktops are also completely locked down. Nothing can get on or off without IT intervention and an approved change request signed off by two suitably senior persons.

This has nothing to do with users being morons (though often they are) or any of the usual IT control-freak mindset. We have auditors. Auditors will have my testicles in a jar if I can't tell them exactly where all of the company data is at any moment in time. If a senior manager wishes to try and pull rank to get themselves something shiny they can explain their reasoning to the head of comliance and I've yet to meet anyone with balls bigger than hers!

0
0

Conficker seizes city's hospital network

Bassey

The trust are talking crap

None of this adds up to a problem with Microsoft. It all adds up to a problem with management not having a clue what they are doing. For a start, despite comments from the usual Mac and Linux retards above, Operating Theatre PC's running windows are not running anything important. They don't run life support systems or any of that crap so the PC's rebooting would have been a minor inconvenience, not life threatening.

Secondly, why were the PC's all left to update themselves? There is no good reason for 90% of these PCs to be on the Internet in the first place and, in any case, it's appalling bad management to let them update themselves. Updates should be being pushed out from a central location in a controlled manner and at a specified time. Even then, it can be configured so that the user is ASKED if they want to reboot now or later.

And lastly, as pointed out above, the patches were released in October but update wasn't turned off until December. So, someone, somewhere, is telling big fat lies to cover their arse..

So this is a case of management not knowing Jack Shit and making crap up to cover themselves. The Linux and Mac retards who clearly didn't bother reading the article before hitting the button they have set up to post "Ha ha, Windows failed, Linux/Mac rules" can all crawl back under their rocks now.

NHS in huge management fuck-up is hardly a news story is it?

0
0

419ers take Canadian for $150,000

Bassey

Sympathy? Are you Kidding?

If it weren't for the fact that it was all a con, this guy would have quite happily taken part in a huge fraud to net himself money. It's only his and his families stupidity that is preventing this guy from being a criminal himself and facing jail time. He should be thankful!

0
0

Blockbuster partners with Sonic Solutions for movie downloads

Bassey

Now THIS will be the future

Imagine a set-top box with built-in PVR and Internet connection that can either stream or download a High def film from the web. Forget your DVD, blu-ray or anything else. It's really all you need.

0
0

Brit loonies adventurers headed to Timbuctoo by 'flying car'

Bassey
Thumb Up

Can I

Can I add one of these to my Amazon wish-list for my birthday? Please?

0
0

How you pay for tomorrow's scares, today

Bassey

Other reasons

Of course, other reasons for "Increased losses" (as they so wonderfully put it) could include increases in population, increase in the population density within areas prone to cyclones/severe weather, increased development etc. etc.

Of course losses are going to increase if there is more to lose. Unless they can show that they have statistically removed increased development and population from their figures then they are meaningless. But that would, of course, involve producing an actual report rather than a press-release so perhaps best not to hold my breath.

0
0

UK.gov funds web video product placement venture

Bassey

Seems reasonable

Much as people like to think that everything should be offered to them for free, this crap does actually need funding to continue (and there is actually some useful stuff on YouTube. Not much, but some). This seems like quite an unobtrusive way of going about it.

My only criticism would be the comparison with AdSense. AdSense works by (hopefully) generating click-throughs and, ultimately, sales. I don't see anyway of generating useful click-throughs with this system - other than embedding URL-ified images within the video - but that kind of defeats the whole "unobtrusive" bit and would piss people off.

But if I search YouTube for a vid on how to upgrade the memory on, say, a Sony Vaio laptop, and that video happens to contain official Sony product placement - even though it's a home-grown video - I can't see why I would care. I'm still getting a video that shows me how to do the upgrade and I'm still not paying for it.

0
0

'Kidnapped' child tracked by mobile phone and Street View

Bassey

How is this news

The only new thing here is the use of Google Street View. Missing Persons Search Teams (and yes, I work in one) have been using triangulation data provided by mobile telcos for years now. Normally we would either look it up on a map or (more often than not) we'd have local knowlege of the area and would have a fair idea where the signal was coming from.

The only new thing is that, rather than phone their colleagues in the local area and say "we keep getting a signal from this area. What's the most likely?" they wasted time on Google Street View. How is that clever?

Incidentally, the triangulation thing works well in most areas but is pretty useless by the coast. Obviously, if you don't have masts roughly either side of the signal it's pretty near impossible to triangulate.

So, if you do want to kidnap someone and the ARE determined to use a mobile phone whilst doing it, stick to the coast. They'll never find you!

0
0

US doc demands $1.5m for donated organ

Bassey

Why no kids

I have no idea what the deal is in the US but why has he not seen his kids in months? Over here he would have access rights (unless he had done something particularly bad). It seems like two separate issues. Him giving her a kidney has nothing to do with her having an affair and walking out on her marriage. Some people are just unpleasant - donated Kidney or not.

But to take his kids away and not give him access, unless there is some unreported reason, is pretty disgraceful. I'm not sure trying to get 1.5M for the Kidney is the answer though.

0
0

Sony sticks it to Xbox 360 and Wii

Bassey

Seems reasonable

It's kind of like making the argument that a shit-hot laptop is cheaper than an Eee PC because, in order to get an Eee PC up to the spec of a shit-hot laptop, you'd need to buy a better screen, keyboard, more memory, bigger hard drive, graphics etc. etc.

It's a valid argument, but only for people who want or need a shit-hot laptop, If all you need is the functionality offered by an Eee PC, it's cheaper. The same goes for the consoles. If all you want to do is play games, get the cheapest one that has the games you want to play. If you want to surf the web, play HD video, stream music, toast bread, spy on your neighbours etc then the whole cost thing gets rather more muddied.

However, Microsoft's recent sales figures suggest their £129 headline price is working rather well at persuading people to make an impulse purchase!

0
0

Powermat cuts ties with cabled power

Bassey
Thumb Down

Sounds great

Until you read the detail. In order for a device to get its power from the mat it needs to be in a special jacket. Each jacket has to be made specifically for each device.

So, rather than having nice, cheap, small, mini-usb charger for everything as I do now and that can be charged at home, at work, in the car, on holiday, from a PC, from a laptop etc. this system would require me to buy at least one mat, spend $30 on a jacket for every device I want to charge (assuming they make jackets for all my devices) and then I can only charge them where I have both a mat, the device and the requisite jacket with me.

Where is the advantage to this system?

I'm sure there probably are a few people, with major disabilities, who find plugging a mini-usb cable into the bottom of a device to charge it up a real chore. For everyone else, the charge mat seems like more hassle and a LOT more expensive.

0
0

Apple wrongfoots iPhoneys

Bassey

I'm sold

I want one now that I've read this...

0
0

Microsoft trumpets Xbox 360 sales growth

Bassey

Re: Mark

Own a PS3 do we?

PS I don't own a console (haven't had one since the Sega Master System) but do enjoy watching Microsoft get up Sony's nose!

0
0

IT salary survey says: ‘You’ve never had it so bad’

Bassey

Good news

So I just need to change my job title from "Software Engineer" to "Systems Programmer" and I change my job prospects from dire to "Money Printing Press".

What a complete load of old bollocks that survey was!

0
0

Clickfree Backup external hard drive

Bassey

Slighty Disappointed

I was a bit disappointed by this. When it said "Click Free" I was imagining a system that basically mirrored your disk activity. My mind quickly raced through the possibly ways of doing this and decided that software on the drive was probably going to take a copy of any file you opened, downloaded, or copied onto the machine and then update that file whenever the PC did.

I.E. that it would be entirely click-free and work like an air-bag - you don't know it's there until you have an accident.

Other than the software being on the device, I don't see the advantage of this over and above something like Acronis. I have Acronis shceduled to take incremental backups once a week. After setup, I have no interaction with it. So how is that different to this that, from your description, still requires me to set it up and still only runs once a week.

Automated external file mirroring for documents and photos would be really click-free. This is just an expensive package deal for very little storage space.

0
0