1 post • joined Sunday 22nd April 2007 16:44 GMT
Tired of Vista high memory use rhetoric
I am a computing professional accustomed to building my own PCs, installing my own OS etc. I have a friend who runs an AMD Athlon XP 3000 with an ATI Radeon X1850 with 1Gb of RAM (I know I repaired it last). He has now been using Vista Ultimate since 1 week after its release and before this he was running RC1 or Beta 2 (I can't remember). About a month ago 1 of his 512Mb DDR RAM sticks died which we removed leaving him with only 512Mb. I warned him that Vista may now be on the slow side and he'd have to put a hold on the gaming until he could afford a replacement. He has shown me that even with 512Mb of memory Vista runs fine with the Aero interface. He happily opens several programs (Firefox, Office 2007, Media Center etc.) or plays games on his PC and has no problems with slow response, he is constantly surprised with the performance of Vista. He still plays games that are 1-2 years old with adequate performance (those that are compatible) and even with a paltry 512Mb he is still happy with the performance of Vista. Now I'm no Microsoft fanboy I'll be sticking with XP at least until I build myself a new PC, however I am getting tired of reading all over the net that Vista is virtually inoperable with only 512Mb. It just isn't true (though personally I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone but the lightest PC user.)
- Facebook offshores HUGE WAD OF CASH to Caymans - via Ireland
- Review Best budget Android smartphone there is? Must be the Moto G
- NSFW Confessions of a porn site boss: How the net porn industry flopped
- World's OLDEST human DNA found in leg bone – but that's not the only boning going on...
- OHM MY GOD! Move over graphene, here comes '100% PERFECT' stanene