3 posts • joined Sunday 22nd April 2007 03:59 GMT
"Some americans are so vile..."
Yes, the article was in poor taste (I'm not even sure why the Register printed it, honestly), but a) I just took it as a bit of jingoistic humor and b) what you said is true of every nationality.
The Internet I Want
"Do we want the freewheeling internet that characterized its early years, or a tightly regulated and controlled internet, subject to the prosecutorial whims of the administration of the day?"
We (or at least I) want a freewheeling internet. There are, of course, things that should be illegal regardless of whether the internet is involved (like the canonical example of child pornography) , but gambling? Surely the DOJ can find better things to do with their time and my tax money.
"Antigua thus could sell unlicensed copies of American movies or software, for example, to compensate itself for losses resulting from the American actions."
If they do this on the internet, I can seriously see our illustrious Congress passing legislation that will effectively erect a "great firewall" between us and Antigua. Or maybe I'm just too cynical about the US government.
Sure, Vista is pretty and shiny, but at this point I still prefer XP (or even better, Linux). Vista is too expensive and, frankly, annoying. I'll wait a year before I seriously consider "upgrading". By that time, the hardware required to run Vista will have fallen to a reasonable price, and Microsoft will have had time to hammer it into a halfway-decent OS.
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Google embiggens its fat vid pipe Chromecast with TEN new supported apps
- Exploits no more! Firefox 26 blocks all Java plugins by default
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16