* Posts by h4rm0ny

3524 posts • joined 26 Jul 2008

Vodafone adopts hydrogen fuel cells to dodge African outages

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: but with an eye to CO2 emissions Vodafone is keen to reduce the use of diesel.

>>"Not to mention the need for some sort of vehicle to distribute the fuel cells, which would obviously need fuel itself. Surely if they were being totally green, they'd have gone for Solar power? It's not as if South Africa lacks sunlight."

Solar panels would have to be transported by vehicle as well, you know. Besides, hydrogen is only produced from fossil fuels because it's cheaper to do it that way - much like it's cheaper than batteries and wind power. The nice thing with hydrogen is that you can ALSO produce it cleanly if you wish. It's not a fuel SOURCE, it's an energy STORE. Whether you store energy from a clean source or otherwise, that's no different to whether you charged a battery from a clean source or not.

0
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

>>"Not sure how that scales for a large sealed container of hydrogen at that critical point."

It doesn't translate because hydrogen is so much lighter than coal vapour. The narrow upwards jet of hydrogen isn't purely the result of being stored at pressure as in your example, it simply shoots upwards regardless. It's one of the mitigating factors to hydrogen's flammability. So for example petrol vapours will pool around if there's a leak, being so heavy compared to air, whereas hydrogen, despite in theory being more dangerous, will be heading skyward the first chance it gets.

Hell, it's hard enough to keep in one place deliberately, let alone by accident. Not that hydrogen can't be dangerous, it can, but it's not usually this bomb waiting to happen that people seem to think.

Nice experiment for teaching chemistry to kids, though. Will remember that. :)

0
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge
Headmaster

I doubt they would blow themselves up. Hydrogen is stored under such pressure and so light that if someone did try it, I imagine the most that would happen would be the back of the drill hitting them in the forehead at high speed. Even if ignited, you'd get a fast, narrow jet of flame going straight up which wouldn't last long. Admittedly, it [b]would[/b] be invisible.

Still, the point stands - stealing hydrogen would be a lot harder than diesel or even natural gas. The only feasible way for a small time operation to do it is to steal the whole tank. Which is much easier to secure and, until Hydrogen becomes a common standard, would still leave you with the problem of what to hook the tank up to even if they did.

1
0

Global spy system ECHELON confirmed at last – by leaked Snowden files

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: @moiety

>>"I was going on the theory that probably most of the awful things you can imagine governments doing with the data are probably happening already."

Uh, no. Crack open a history book if you want to see how bad things can get. You don't even have to go for the obvious Adolf Hitler stuff. Take a look at the Stasi, at North Korea, China through the twentieth century, Qatar today and plenty of others. If you think most of the awful misuses of the data are already happening, you're gravely misinformed. It can get a lot worse and the more information that is collated and available the harder it is to fight such abuses. Significantly so.

1
1
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: @moiety

>>"I'm not privy to any secrets; but I'm pretty sure that the technology is still being developed, so the potential is there to be able to identify possible problems before they happen"

Like the Algorithm in the Captain America: Winter Soldier movie, you mean? Absolutely the potential is there to identify problems before they happen, and by extension end them. The thing is, and one of the reasons you're probably getting so many downvotes, is the State's definition of problem is not necessarily the people's definition of problem and worse - the more power the state has of this kind, the increasing divergence between the two there will be. This latter is a fact.

1
1
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Fascinating. @ NoneSuch

If it's "equally probable" then why assume one over the other. "Hanlon's razor" is just a humorous meme (though it's less humorous after the fortieth time you've heard it). There are plenty of idiots in government, but there are plenty of smart people too - civil servants, intelligence bureaucrats and directors, private industry associates who make LOTS of money from the deals arranged and yes, even politicians are not necessarily the idiots they sometimes appear to be. These people have worked their way up to seize a limited number of lucrative positions against the competition - why assume incompetence or idiocy. All too often it's simply the case that their goals aren't the same as your goals. You might think the RIPAA act is stupid because it's chances of combating terrorism as stated are near nil. But so what, it's lets the busybodies follow you around or watch you on the CCTV which is what they _really_ want. So are they idiots for proposing an anti-terrorist measure that wont catch terrorists? Of course not - they just lied to get what they want. Not the same thing at all.

Hanlon's razor is a trite joke that some people appear to actually be thinking is some kind of real operating principle to work by. Here's a better operating principle: "Who benefits?" So long as the answer to that is 'someone' that's cause enough to suspect malice.

7
1

Mt Gox's Mark Karpeles arrested in Japan

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: In other words, he is hardly innocent

Well actually all we now know is that someone on Reddit claims to be somebody specific. Is any of this recorded in testimony anywhere? It might be true, it might not. OP correctly wrote claimed, you've jumped to "we know".

0
0

Sun? In Blighty? Nah, just build that rooftop data centre, it’ll be fine

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Frozen A/C, hot room

"One of my favourite interview questions for budding software engineers is, how much do they know about aircon?"

You're obviously at one of these companies that confuses any sort of IT role together. A Sysadmin MAY find such knowledge relevant, but really they should be focused on the software aspects of their charges which is complex a job enough. If your programmers are being asked about air conditioning, then they should take that as a strong warning sign that they're applying to a company that doesn't understand IT roles very well and they're about to be dumped in some generic pool of "the IT types".

8
0

Wait, STOP: Are you installing Windows 10 or RANSOMWARE?

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Re. ransomware

Because one is usually an attempt to kill someone and the other may lose you some possessions?

1
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Yeah, people should stop releasing new products until they've found a way to stop thieves putting its name onto their malware. These companies are just lazy.

3
0

Galloway and Greens challenge Brit spooks over dragnet snooping

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Galloway Rocks....

>>"It amused me watching you leap to his defence."

AKA, another boring troll.

1
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Galloway Rocks....

Strange... Character assassinations, pretending to speak for the whole of England, little jibes about the lack of education of kids today... It seems to me that you'd fit in pretty well at the Mail.

1
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Galloway Rocks....

>>"The real issue as that I find Galloway to be odious, oily, smug and self-centred. A massive contrast to another leftwing politician, Tony Benn, who also stuck to his principles no matter what

So basically you think that he should leave the country because you don't like his manner whereas another politician you did so they can stay.

Got it.

1
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Galloway Rocks....

>>"Well I guess he must have something to inspire such an impassioned defence"

More that I just dislike cheap attacks and pretending to speak for the country.

Anyway, given I posted facts and your posts go "are you his mum", I think this is pretty much done. As another poster said, if sponsors of mass surveillance just try to tar opponents of it by association, your sort of mindset is exactly the one that tactic works on. What matters is that they're trying to get away with dragnet style surveillance, not that you get upset about George Galloway.

He has a very good track record of highlighting government wrongs. You should watch that link of him laying into the US case for war with Iraq. That got a lot of press and his arguing style is to back everything up with references as he goes, which is a lot better than most people's style of word play and veiled ad hominems, imho.

3
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Dear Mr. Galloway.

No. Are you his ex?

2
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Galloway Rocks....

>>"I don't believe he gives a toss about this subject, he just wants the publicity"

Any particular reason you would know the inner mind if George Galloway? He's been pretty badly beaten up twice by people for his criticisms of various powerful factions. He could have had a cushy and successful career in the Labour party but clashed with the whips repeatedly over points of principle and was eventually expelled from the Labour party for advocating that people refuse to go to war. This may come as a shock to you but you don't generally achieve political success by annoying the most powerful people in government. It actually tends to lead to political marginalization, severe curtailment if your political career and advancement. Oh, and character assassination. There has been a truly exceptional amount of that over the years in Galloway's case. Usually followed by people having to settle for libel, incidentally.

So given how often he has set back his political career by sticking to his principles or pursuing human rights (he was an early supporter if same-sex marriage and I seem to recall him getting flack for voting to normalize the age of consent for homosexuality with heterosexuality), or been hospitalized for criticism of Israeli policy or put up with some pretty vicious attempts to end his career with various libels, I'm going to return to my original question. How is it you know that despite all the cost sticking to his principles has brought him, that you know that what he's really motivated by is the pursuit of fame?

3
1
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Dear Mr. Galloway.

I rather enjoyed seeing him rip into the US Senate over Iraq. They basically tried to character assassinate this vocal critic by summoning him to answer charges of taking bribes from Iraq and it turned into one of the all the great political backfires of the decade. He pretty much tore down their case for the invasion of Iraq in meticulous detail and the lovely thing is, he backs everything up with references. Got a LOT of coverage of the flaws in the case for war. And possibly the only person I have ever seen successfully shoot down Fox News's Bill O'Reilly in his own show, no less.

He also stands up for his principles. He's been badly beaten up twice by people with your attitude in the past couple of years. Once by a Zionist fanatic because of his criticisms of the Israeli government and I don't recall the other's reasons. But it seems to me he has a lot more courage and clear beliefs than a lot of MPs. He fought tooth and nail against the invasion of Iraq whilst most of the Labour and Tory politicians kowtowed to their political masters and only came out against the war much later when there was no political cost in doing so. Whilst Galloway is endlessly politically marginalized for positions that are actually pretty justifiable.

So no, you don't get to speak for "basically everyone in the country", in fact, as the pretty much equal downvotes to your post show.

8
2

Hurrah! Windfarms produce whopping ONE PER CENT of EU energy

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Hydrogen

>>"Extracting hydrogen from water is still a developing art."

Well pretty much all tech is still developing - there's very little that is completely matured short of the wheel and fire. But no, it's not difficult and we can do it fine. The reason it's still made from natural gas is that this is cheaper. Just like running a car from petrol is cheaper than batteries. But we can make it from clean sources just fine so the correct comparison is how it compares to batteries, to which the answer is it's better.

You are also either being disingenuous or just repeating anti-hydrogen soundbites with your "4 tonnes of CO2 for every 1 tonne of hydrogen". That's meaningless without comparing it to actual energy densities. It is sad that proponents of battery powered cars would rather attack a fellow clean energy approach than be pleased by it. But then I suppose it's seen a rival and if you support "batteries" rather than "clean energy" then I suppose it must be hated as it's a threat to battery-powered cars in a way that fossil fuel isn't - competing on its own "clean energy" turf, as it were.

1
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: the one and only solution today is nuclear energy

>>"UK regulators have asked Hitachi-GE to address a series of "shortfalls" in the probabilistic safety analysis (PSA) of its Advanced Boiling Water Reactor (ABWR). The request takes the form of a Regulatory Issue, which is the second in as many months in the generic design assessment (GDA) of the reactor for its use in the UK."

Isn't this what is supposed to happen? A process between the designers and the regulators to iron out problems and get documentation in order. I do the same with software requirements documents every month and I'm dealing with specifications far less complex than I imagine a nuclear power station to be. Do you really imagine whole books of documentation being handed over to the regulators and them NOT coming back and saying "we need more on this bit" or "please clarify or amend this" ? If you do, you have no experience of complex projects. If you don't, then why are you damning nuclear power for the process working as it should?

2
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge
Facepalm

>>Hydrogen cells are batteries

Wrong in both technical terms AND in layspeak. Hydrogen Fuel Cells are not batteries.

A battery is something you charge up with electricity and then you discharge it over time. Even lay people understand that a battery is something charged with electricity.

A hydrogen fuel cell is connected to a tank of hydrogen. The hydrogen is reacted with oxygen to produce energy and the resulting water vapour is expelled. Have you ever seen a battery that you plug a hydrogen tube into and watched it give out steam from the reaction? No, because that's not what a battery does.

2
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

>>I'm interested to know what that mythical 'other source' is

It's called hydrogen fuel cells and Toyota have a commercially available family car that uses one right now, so you have a funny definition of 'mythical'. Lot of London busses run on HFC as well. It's far more energy dense than any battery ever produced or likely to be any time soon. And the exhaust is water vapour.

Hydrogen can also be produced cleanly with electricity and hot water - something nuclear powerstations have in abundance. So you have power generated by nuclear and you can do it efficiently because you use the troughs in demand to produce the hydrogen as a storage mechanism for energy. Nuclear power is most efficient run at a steady output so they're a perfect compliment. And you get cars that are clean, lighter than battery equivalents, have greater range and use existing petrol infrastructure with the relatively simple addition to the station of a new pump and accompanying tank.

2
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

>>"Now, as for energy generation - there's been relentless hostility to renewables from the fossil dinosaurs for decades now. They really, really hate the fact that they're not going to able to keep holding everyone to ransom with fossils"

Now that's a character attack on your opponents. I'm about as vicious a critic of wind power as you're likely to find and I have NO association with any fossil fuel industry that I'm aware of (other than being a customer just as you are). I'm pretty sure you'll find that many of us from the author of the article to the posters here are actually strong proponents of NUCLEAR power. Claiming our arguments are biased because we hate not being able to hold people hostage over fossil fuels is wrong. In fact it's silly. Do you really think all those people modding down your post own shares or hold positions in oil or coal companies? Rather than just think you're wrong?

5
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: optomistic

>>"Hardly "creative accounting". The claim was 8% of electricity, not 8% of total energy use; perfectly accurate, and not at misleading"

In the context of this article, no it's not misleading because this article is clear about the difference. However, look at the sort of press-releases it is in response to. The contributions of wind power are not put in any sort of proper context and presented as having a whopping effect on reducing CO2 and fossil fuel usage. And I have been in debates with plenty of people who are more than happy to conflate the two to make wind power look better. I recall a few months ago someone claiming how Germany is now a net exporter of energy and linking to electricity figures.

Never mind that even if Germany were, it would still be a grossly inefficient approach to it made sustainable only by subsidies.

4
0

If Microsoft made laptops, it'd make this: HP Spectre x360

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Shitware

First laptop manufacturer to ship their laptops with a clean install of Windows and none of their proprietary software or that of people who are friends with the CEO, gets my business.

2
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Pen?

It seems a waste that with this technology, how good hand-writing technology has become and how great it is for sketching out notes or annotating web-pages and PDFs, pens aren't being pushed as more of a standard thing. It should be a major differentiator for Microsoft over their competitors at Apple and Google, but they don't seem to capitalize.

That said, coming up with good stuff and then not doing much with it, is almost standard practice for Microsoft, unfortunately.

3
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: For £1,099 you can have...

The difference between Macs and PCs, in hardware terms, is that Apple only sells premium laptops. With PCs there are Premium and Standard and Budget variations. Compare like for like. If Apple can successfully sell laptops in the premium range, there's clearly a market. And besides, Lenovo and Dell have been charging these sorts of prices for their high-end for years so presumably are doing fine.

Just because there are cheaper laptops out there, doesn't mean this is above market prices.

18
0

YOU! DEGRASSE! It's time to make Pluto a proper planet again, says NASA boffin

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

>> 1- Does not has independent orbit around the Sun it cut the orbit of Neptune.

Nowhere in the history of the use of the word planet has anyone ever said it's something that cannot overlap with another planets orbit. Until post-fact looking for reasons to add this to the definition, of course. In fact, your argument is equally an argument that Neptune is not a planet. So are neither of them planets by your definition? If not, why is it okay for one to be ruled out because it cuts another planet's orbit but not the other? But chiefly, this is a post-fact addition to the definition of planet by yourself.

>> 2- Pluto and Charon moving around the common center of gravity [...] also It is not fair

All planets with satellites are orbiting around a common centre of gravity. Is the Earth no longer a planet? Also, how is one unfair to a planet? Are its feelings hurt?

>> 3 Pluto is not completely spherically as revealed by NASA

Nor is the Earth. It is oblate. This is another post-fact criterion added by yourself.

>> 4- it has a different terrain in comparison with surface of other face

Again, I don't think the word planet has ever had uniformity of terrain as a criterion, until you needed to add things to the definition to separate out Pluto.

>>> 5- Pluto does not have enough gravity to clear its orbit

See 4.

>> 6- Pluto only is not a planet because it is a binary with Charon

You can't have a binary planet? If you had two Earth-sized planets orbiting each other and both orbiting a star, would they no longer be planets?

>> 7- Pluto rotation around itself the day is equal to a month on Pluto

See 4. Also, I'm reasonably confident that there are asteroids that the inverse would be true of - fast rotation much less than their month. Are you arguing that they are therefore considered for the position of planet? Of course not, so it's a double standard not relevant to this.

>> 8- Pluto's orbit has a great anomaly in the orbit in orbital inclination

And Uranus' axial tilt is nearly perpendicular to the rest of the planets which is far more of an anomaly. So what? Again, see answer to 4.

>> 9- Other satellites orbiting around Pluto and Charon does not around Pluto only or Charon only because the common center of gravity control orbits of these satellites.

Just number 2 again with different wording. All planet and satellite systems orbit a common centre of gravity. Is there some established point agreed in the definition of planet historically that defines how displaced the common centre can be from a body before it disqualifies that body from being called a planet? Not that I am aware of. See answers to 4 AND 6 this time.

>> 10

Snipped for legibility. This is again just a longer re-wording of 6.

4
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Nomen est omen

>>"The thing is, when it comes to science, precision matters. Science MUST be pedantic or mistakes linger."

Sure. But planet has next to no scientific meaning. When you're calculating the path of your spaceprobe, you factor in 1x10^6Kg mass to your slingshot calculations, not "1 planet".

Planet is a cultural term used by laypeople.

3
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: American

I upvoted you just for "Team Planet". Beats the Hell out of "Team Downgrade Classification".

2
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: American

British support of Pluto's Planethood right here. Don't be so xenophobic. At best, I think you're just suffering confirmation bias from the fact that this is more of a controversy in the USA. In most of Europe and Asia, most people still just think of it as a planet so of course you'll see less argument.

I don't care if an American discovered it. I don't discount Venus because a bunch of Sumarians or Mayans first documented it.

3
1
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Wishing and Hoping

And honestly, why shouldn't it be a planet. Planet isn't a term that has any precise scientific meaning? No space probes will crash because they expected 2 Planets worth of gravitational force to affect them and there was only 0.5 Planets of gravitational force. It's not a scientific term, it's a cultural one. You want to correct someone who calls a hyena a canine because it's not? Fine - there are precise meanings behind the term. But there's nothing that says "planet = Xkg in mass".

It's been a planet for most of its existence and it's really just a cadre of people who like correcting others that took it up as a crusade. Call it a planet, no-one will get confused. In fact, confusion and arguments will drop. And I say all this as someone who back in the day argued fiercely against metric KB and KiB inventions - they affected me as an engineer. But what the Hell is the scientific definition of "planet". It's just a layperson's term so let 'em have it.

5
1

All wristjobs are as insecure as $#@%, reveals unsurprising research

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Really?

>>"Now, I know the Band can easily pair with both Android and iOS, but surely in a security test, you'd pair it with its "native" OS as well. Wouldn't you HP?"

Well if they're truly testing the device itself, it shouldn't matter which they pair it with. For something multi-platform like the Microsoft Band, if it accepts weak encryption from Android it's still a flaw even if it defaults to something more secure with Windows Phone.

Incidentally, if that's a dig at WP's popularity, plenty of them here in Europe. Come on El Reg - you ought to be able to at least get a list of which ten devices were tested if you're going to post a headline like that.

1
1
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Really?

Because there's not a single reference in the report to the Microsoft Band. In fact the report doesn't even list what devices they tested, it just says it samples ten smartwatches. So is it in there or not? It's certainly a smartwatch.

Perhaps El Reg could drop them a line and find out what devices HP actually tested and what the results were, rather than just throw up a far from proven headline about 100% of smartwatches. I mean are there four different Android watches in there? Should they really be treated as separate? Are there marked differences in the number of vulnerabilities? Did the iWatch fail six categories and a rival fail only one? Not all the categories are equal as the first poster on this article illustrates quite nicely. El Reg should AT LEAST get a list of which devices were assessed.

11
2

Were the FIRST AMERICANS really FIRST? MYSTERY of vanished 'Population Y'

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

>>"We spent a really long time trying to make this result go away and it just got stronger," says Professor David Reich of the Harvard Medical School.

That's a refreshing degree of candour. Would that scientists in certain other fields could be so upfront.

2
0

Microsoft launches Advanced Threat Analytics

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: The key question is ..

>>The fact that they charge for it? :)

So to summarize the criticisms, Microsoft need to spend more money on fixing their problems and to stop charging for their products?

Got it.

0
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: The key question is ..

I shall probably regret this, but what is it you think is broken in current Windows that would be fixed by more money?

1
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Not really. Firstly, it's massive, massive overkill as such people are likely to have a very small user base and a single location for files. It's not much good trying to detect anomalous patterns of behaviour amongst your users and network if that's basically two people and a couple of laptops.

Secondly, even though this flags up data for review, you still need to be competent to make use of that. The average family are not going to know what to do with if some software flags up an alert that user account X suddenly has a new pattern of scanning and copying files from Y. A competent sysadmin would, but not your typical home users.

Though really the first one makes the second academic, anyway.

5
0

Facebook fails to block NY DA's fat warrants for profiles of suspected September 11 fraudsters

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

9/11

I doubt that its coincidence that the case they used to try and get this through has to do with 9/11. Trying to oppose something with 9/11 in the name in the USA is immediately three times as hard as it would be otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg

2
2

GOOGLE GMAIL ATE MY LINUX: Gobbled email enrages Torvalds

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: am I the only one wondering....

>>"Why didn't Linus just call up someone at google or perhaps even send an email, I am sure he knows *someone that could allow him to bypass the lack of customer service."

Possibly because Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux, has a community spirit and wants to raise things publicly and for the benefit of all, rather than some invisible and perhaps partial fix.

Though equally plausible, when dealing with a corporation the size of Google, even Linus realises that public opinion is a useful weapon to wield.

14
1

Pray for AMD

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Low end parts

Good point. And these MacBooks sell well unlike their low-end corner-cutting counterparts. Whilst I got a factual detail wrong, you've actually proved the point I wanted to.

0
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Of course they'll break up

Some of AMD's debt isn't due until 2017 and the rest isn't due until 2020. So no, receivers aren't going to come bursting in the door tomorrow. AMD have time for Carrizo to be selling before then and they will have a very new architecture (Zen) released and in distribution as well. We should also see HBM bedded down as a standard by then in which AMD have the lead.

So whilst the plane has been nose-diving, the ground is still legally five years away and they have measures that could turn things around in that time.

6
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: Low end parts

A lot of the time the customer doesn't even bet as far as buying it in the first place. Vendors always pair the AMD chips with shoddy hardware. So whilst the processor might be adequate to their needs the poor screen and shoddy plastic wont. So AMD get disqualified by association.

A high-end laptop or workstation isn't going to use AMD because the high-end Intel chips are more powerful and more efficient than AMD's best chips. But there's certainly room for AMD's offerings in better products than they get.

7
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: What if

And I wonder what would have happened if Intel hadn't engaged in blatant anti-trust behaviour to sabotage AMD so badly back in the day. Intel were found guilty and forced to settle, but the settlement was a bargain for keeping their competitor from gaining ground. Even after that verdict they continue to engage in such practices, such as paying vendors to buy their chips over AMD's. (True - look it up).

38
3

Microsoft's Surface Hub mega-slab DELAYED 'cause you demanded it

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: But will it

It's an x86 device so yes, it should run GNU/Linux.

1
0

Mathematician: SUNSPOT DROUGHT will mean mini ICE AGE from 2030

h4rm0ny
Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Old news

>>Exactly. Fitting a curve in the past is not guarantee of future.

Modded you up in the belief that this is subtle and cheeky satire. :)

0
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge
Facepalm

>>"My problem lies in being sentenced to the British gulag known as North Wales for three years :)"

My problem lies in wading through 15+ posts dealing with your personal misery as the only English child in the village. Move on!

2
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: This good be good news or bad news..... @CodeJunky

>>"However, is it still the case that there have been no deaths due to Fukushima? I can't clearly recall where, but I do remember reading about 1300 deaths, though did not at the time ascertain the source."

There have been no deaths attributable to radiation or other direct effects of Fukushima. There have, however, been a number of deaths due to the hysterical ways of responding to it. That's hysteria in the clinical sense, not the humorous one. For example, many aged people have become ill or passed away from stresses and emotional trauma brought on by being moved away from their homes, from loved ones, kept in evacuation centres, loss of livelihood and financial devastation from losing homes. There have been many cases of severe depression and trauma amongst people who have basically seen their entire community and life taken away from them as villages are emptied and the inhabitants scattered to the wind. I'm not sure about your figure, but statistically many people have suffered adverse health effects and mortality has increased amongst affected demographics. The great tragedy being that it's avoidable. Nearly all of the evacuated areas are fine to live in and even the areas really close are essentially just a "you have a very slightly increased risk of cancer, statistically speaking".

However, the Japanese government was and is terrified of being accused of not doing enough. You're familiar with the way someone will always show up to tear down a government with claims of how they could have done X and why didn't they do Y. They even upgraded the rating of the nuclear disaster to its highest level (despite not meeting the criteria at all) because someone accused them of not taking the disaster seriously enough by putting it lower than the maximum. Disastrous evacuations and traumatic break up of communities and families followed.

I'm not exactly sure of your numbers, but that is likely what you have seen referred to as "deaths due to Fukushima". The media loves its disaster porn.

8
1
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: This good be good news or bad news.....

>>"Genius. It's not even compromise. Superb"

It's not some clever method of tricking AGW-skeptics into supporting anti-climate change measures. I AM a skeptic. And for example, I get very unhappy when I see extras tacked onto my electricity bill and am forced to subsidise wind farms which are hugely inefficient. (Solar and nuclear I'm in favour of, wind power is downright destructive).

I just happen to be an AGW-skeptic who would like to head off staggering rises in energy costs (which increasingly expensive to extract fossil fuels inevitably lead to), who detests regimes that stone women and would like to see London's vehicles emit water vapour rather than black filth.

3
0
h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Re: This good be good news or bad news.....

>>"Have you seen where a lot of the uranium comes from?"

Kazakhstan may mine Uranium, but there are also plenty of other sources globally where it can be mined very economically. For example, whilst Australians are frequent complainers about their government, I doubt even they would refer to their government as a despotic regime (mostly). And that's just Uranium. When you get onto Thorium reactors, fuel is so globally plentiful it's absurd.

You can get oil from places other than Qatar, Saudi, et al. But with oil, Western support of despotic regimes seems to have been intractable. Nuclear power, the fuel is so easily sourced that if we decide we don't like Kazakhstan's human rights, shifting to another provider is perfectly doable with only a modest financial impact. Maybe even none.

1
0

Natural geothermal heat under Antarctic ice: 'Surprisingly HIGH'

h4rm0ny
Silver badge

Why measure now?

I'm very puzzled as to why something like this would only be measured now rather than a long time ago.

Is there a reason why it's not been properly investigated earlier?

0
0

Forums