1 post • joined 5 Jul 2008
OK for reading, no good for analysing
PDF has one major problem - no document structural markup, ie anything indicating what's a heading, where a paragraph starts and ends etc.
Fine for viewing on screen and printing, but if you want a machine to read it, analyse it, extract information for search & discovery, then it's awful. Even worse if you want to extract tables or other structured information.
HTML's actually a much better format for this.
Unfortunately a lot of documents are getting published (and archived) in PDF only.
- Product round-up Too 4K-ing expensive? Five full HD laptops for work and play
- Review We have a winner! Fresh Linux Mint 17.1 – hands down the best
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- 'Regin': The 'New Stuxnet' spook-grade SOFTWARE WEAPON described
- You stupid BRICK! PCs running Avast AV can't handle Windows fixes