1 post • joined 5 Jul 2008
OK for reading, no good for analysing
PDF has one major problem - no document structural markup, ie anything indicating what's a heading, where a paragraph starts and ends etc.
Fine for viewing on screen and printing, but if you want a machine to read it, analyse it, extract information for search & discovery, then it's awful. Even worse if you want to extract tables or other structured information.
HTML's actually a much better format for this.
Unfortunately a lot of documents are getting published (and archived) in PDF only.
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner hacked in just 4 DAYS
- Feast your PUNY eyes on highest resolution phone display EVER
- Analysis Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
- AMD demos 'Berlin' Opteron, world's first heterogeneous system architecture server chip