1 post • joined 5 Jul 2008
OK for reading, no good for analysing
PDF has one major problem - no document structural markup, ie anything indicating what's a heading, where a paragraph starts and ends etc.
Fine for viewing on screen and printing, but if you want a machine to read it, analyse it, extract information for search & discovery, then it's awful. Even worse if you want to extract tables or other structured information.
HTML's actually a much better format for this.
Unfortunately a lot of documents are getting published (and archived) in PDF only.
- Analysis iPhone 6: The final straw for Android makers eaten alive by the data parasite?
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? No. It is the Most Exquisite THING. EVER
- First Crack Bloke buys iPHONE 6 and DROPS IT to SMASH on PURPOSE
- Early result from Scots indyref vote? NAW, Jimmy - it's a SCAM
- First Fondle Register journo battles Sydney iPHONE queue, FONDLES BIG 'UN