Re: Public / Private keys
10188 posts • joined 3 Jun 2008
More likely than String Theory.
"It is allegedly alleged that jocularity is involved in rumors about the use of possible $HOTWORD"
THAT'S IT! YOU ARE GOING DOWN!
I haven't seen companies w/o boards yet. They will all have to be nationalized. Finally proletarian bliss!
Yet another case of politicians' delusions of being able to change reality by issuing laws. The economic impact of cops and judiciary playing whack a mole hasn't even entered the calculation I see. "IMPLEMENT THIS! THINGS WILL BE ... errr... DIFFERENT!"
Yes, wind those underground crackers up. I dare you!
Where is the icon of the faithful servant of Louis de Lombard?
Is this really a serious issue?
This question better not be asked from the INSIDE of the cattle truck.
That was like more than 17 years ago IIRC.
Can't have been much later or they would have left in a body bag, right?
Vulture South has followed Snowden's story with interest, but also with growing irritation
Now about those El Reg news that are basically AP copy of the scurrilous shit of two days ago with added flowery language...
AFAICR it wasn't planned for that date but someone of the terros came in or messed up late so they had to postpone.
The coincidences of
0) This day being written 9-11
1) NORAD running an exercice about hijacked planes
2) Rummie hanging around at the Pentagon
3) Someone shorting United Airlines fiercly in the morning
all on the same day are bizarre. Look elsewhere effect. Probably.
Did I mention that the building insure came through just a few days earlier?
Don't feed the Nazi trolls.
What! Getting struck by lightning is more likely than becoming victim of terro?
I propose the new program "A Destruction Of Lightning, Fast". To be implemented immediately.
I dunno. I suspect quite a lot that he hasn't released yet. Does that answer your question?
I don't get it.
Do you mean such a man would become Inner Party or that he would go postal with a boomvest?
> Suicide, they insist.
Just a case of Blair poisoning. It happens to the best of them.
> They used to be on opposite sides some time ago, though.
And unfortunate accident that could have been resolved by less rah-rahism on both sides.
13 years ago.
Nobody even remembers how things were BEFORE.
Yeah, things sucked with Clipper chips, then Janet Reno productions and bizarre unresolved mysteries (these were the days of the X-Files and John Doe #2 - not Nichols) and dead Iraqis that were "worth it" etc. etc. but it was nowhere near like today.
> risky airstrikes
Not to mention totally illegal, and I mean Adolf-checking-out-Poland level illegal.
> (Did you see what I did there?)
You failed hard?
You misoverestimate the power of a parachute.
Next: Invention of the book considered retarded. Mesopotamians could do it in clay THOUSANDS OF YEARS EARLIER using ONLY A CHISEL.
> "F9-R control algorithms"
Yeah. Details, NOW!
Booster tubes coming down are not particularly aerodynamic. You can deploy a parachute of course, but that will lose you any good control on the position of touchdown and will most probably lead to a crunch moment anyway.
Is it advisable to douse a rapidly decomposing lithium battery with water???
Sounds standard Swiss to me.
> Over 150 children killed
So fucking what?
Do you want me to unpack statistics about birth defects in Vietnam due to Agent Orange? Pretty sure I can make jokes about that on the Interwebs with no ill consequence.
Then we shall mention the Alamo!
Don't make it worse!
> Texas ADULT who posted threats about killing school children
There are are adults in the USA? And even in Texas?
He should've gotten shotguns for this kinda deal!
Jesus Christ, off to Gitmo with him!
What would Obama think? That poor man is not doing his Predator Death Note Shit every single Tuesday so that teenagers can do terrorist threats in online games! No respect, I say. No respect!
We cannot know....
" And think about the implications of that: if we're alone in the Universe then the whole purpose in the universe is in us."
How the fuckety fuck does that even follow? Does the Universe have a purpose? It could be the equivalent of $DEITYs old tire dropped by some $OLYMPIC roadside for what we know (a reverse Roadside Picnic?)
These non-hivemind flesher Turing Machines are just so full of themselves. The future shurely lies with collective intelligences (i.e. insects), as Charlie Stross predicts.
"In an enterprise you would normally user Hyper-V Server due to ... reduced attack surface ... compared to Windows Server.
Vogon, I have to tell you the bitter truth...
It is a possibility but we need photographs of flying chairs first.
That's because there are only two ways of achieving that:
1) Beam the image directly into your eyes. Personal viewing. Very difficult indeed.
2) Fill the room with some kind of *stuff* which the image can reflect off (e.g. a huge plastic slab with nonlinear optical properties)
No magic "you are my only hope" holograms projected by your set-top box in reality, no Sir!
Oh, I forgot:
3) Write the image directly into your visual cortex. Yummy, but even tougher.
In the end, holograms will be good for visualization and Personal Computing, but not so much for entertainment. Even for the pr0nz. I am not sure about watching a bunch of people seemingly having a go on my sofa.
On the use of passports in America:
Anna is THE HOT, though.
In addition, past whistleblowers, such as Daniel Ellsberg and even Bradley Manning, ran their mouths... and stayed to face the music. Snowden ran his mouth and bugged out for China, and then Russia. This makes him look bad.
Yes, and even back then it was not sad at all:
I would not call the shit coming down on people nowadays "facing the music". Military detention, torture, "accidents" and whatnot? I can quite understand that one does not want to stay in
GermanyUSA and may want to ask for some hospitality in countries that are not exactly beacons of liberalism but at least have the courage to show the US some inverse V sign.
> they dont want to be bothered with command line fluff
That's exactly the WRONG thinking right there.
That "command line fluff" is the toolbox that you actually need when it turns out the designer, in his godlike
retardationforesightedness, was unsuprisingly unable to COPE WITH ALL EDGE CASES using his "row of buttons". Utter failure ensues. And there is no escape. YOUR PRODUCT FLIES OUT OF THE WINDOW.
"Press the button marked robot#2, press send and type the filename into the box and press ok."
ERROR. DRIVE C²:\ CANNOT BE ACCESSED. ILLEGAL CHARACTER. ABORT RETRY FAIL?
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!
> That won't change, so long as the numerous middle-bell consumers keep consuming.
And there would be no problem with that as long as "the other solution" keeps existing. Plush dwellers, button pushers and juveniles out for a good time can get their functional tool, while tinkerers and professionals get to have an inspectable, modifiable machinery. Unfortunately the creeping monetization of everything (including debt) and the quest of selling everything on which you can affix a price sticker (even if you actually cannot and do not own it in the first place) means that so-called "Intellectual Property" (aka. economic nonsense) will continue be a growing menace to the continued existence of the "the other solution".
Get used to Unicode, old man.
The only no-no character should be the "/", and any sane person should agree.
If you want the Windows Cancer Of Special Cases, you know where to find it.
Old fart myself, but such "rules" are best thrown back into the face of the guy who comes up with them.
Fedora 19 brings integration with Google Drive and other NSA services
Yes... good... downloading now.
I wonder when Mr. Snowden will tell us where the backdoor-in-plain-sight has been finagled into Linux? Come on Ed, spit it out...
You can also link it into the current NSA leaking, because UNIX = computers, innit?
Falling angels working for Maxwell??
> Whereas this scenario is closer to a transformer where the wires stay in the same place
It's only marginally closer though. In this case, the whole spool and battery disappear down an evil finger from the universe's future, leaving a place in place that is not accepting magnetic field lines really quickly. That magnetic field is orphaned!
For a complete description you will probably have to go to Quantum Field Theory (and even then there will be doubts)... but:
1) The magnetic field has energy associated with it. That must go somewhere. Think of a normal spool-and-battery setup on your tabletop, if you open the circuit you get a solid spark as the magnetic field breaks down and induces a high voltage in the conductor.
2) The magnetic field is definitely a "thing" that can act in and of itself. This is why light exists: A changing magnetic field induces a changing electric field which induces a changing magnetic field etc. No charges are anywhere in this picture. The vacuum is not vacuumish, but actually (superconducting) stuff bearing fields (in a sense it is the gravitational field)
3) It is true that magnetic fields and electric fields can be mutated into each other depending on the observer (i.e. Lorentz transformations allow you to take different viewpoints of the same physical setup). In particular, the magnetic field generated by a current and seen by a moving test charge (a still charge does not see the magnetic field, of course) can be interpreted as the electric field generated by the distribution of the current's charges in the rest frame of said moving test charge after a suitable Lorentz transformation. It's geometrical, like rotating a cube and then describing what what faces you see.
4) Now I won't either understand nor do the calculations but I am pretty certain that the idea that the magnetic field is "expelled" in the rest frame of an observer hovering above the neutron star is as valid as (and completely matches) the view of any other rest frame that sees more (or less) of the magnetic forces and more (or less) of the uneven distribution of charges created by the original currents in the neutron star.
5) Sadly, there don't seem to be any magnetic charges in the vacuum (only in solids), this would make it even clearer that B is as hardcore as E.
It must be some kind of Beaten Wife Syndrome.
Don't feed the troll!
> XKCD is an instant "avoid" for some
This not be 4chan, dawg!