39 posts • joined Thursday 12th April 2007 07:29 GMT
Alternatively with no Reg tweaks
01. Reboot your computer while it's starting up.
02. When your computer starts up again, choose the option "Launch Startup Repair"
--> PIC: http://notebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Recov-1.jpg
03. When the Startup repair starts, click cancel.
04. After you click cancel it will show a box. Click "Don't Send"
--> PIC: http://i52.tinypic.com/xgjriw.png
05. Click the link "View advanced options for recovery and support"
06. In the new window click Command Prompt at the bottom.
--> PIC: http://i51.tinypic.com/50imu8.png
07. In Command Prompt type this and press enter: %windir%\system32\notepad.exe
08. Notepad will open. In notepad go to File-->Open.
09. Change the type of files notepad views from .txt to All Files (see pic)
--> PIC: http://i51.tinypic.com/35nd74z.png
10. Now in Notepad, go to C:\Windows\winsxs\ (or whichever drive Windows is installed on)
11. In that folder, find pending.xml and make a copy of it
12. Now open the original pending.xml (it will load really slow because the file is huge)
13. Press CNTRL+F and search for the following exactly: 0000000000000000.cdf-ms
14. Delete the following text (yours will be a little different):
--> PIC: http://i54.tinypic.com/adzpzp.png
Your PC might not have all 3 sections of code (, , ). Just make sure you delete section "Checkpoint" and whatever other sections have "000000000000000.cdf-ms". They will be right next to eachother.
15. Save the file, close notepad, close command prompt, restart your computer.
Once your computer starts up, do a normal startup (it may stall for 5-10 minutes at the "starting windows" screen, but leave it going) and the Service Pack will install some more stuff and restart a few times and then everything should be working! For some people, it reverts everything and cancels the service pack installation. For other people, the service pack installation completes. Either result is fine.
Tomorrow things will never be the same
Tomorrow iTunes homepage will display picture of The Beatles and a heading of 'Yesterday'?
Please can you add the HP to the test, maybe get rid of the apricot and the CW as this is the first I've heard of them and they look pretty rubbish anyway.
They've really slashed the price on this, just in time for Xmas or do you think they've got a different processor one coming out?
There's always one...
And this time its me!
Nice features, I've had a bash, quite happy, works well for me,
Paris - because she also got "Nice features, I've had a bash"
Well done folks, comments were better than the article
July the 7th?
Would this have prevented the events on July 7th?
No, suicide bombers want you to know who they are otherwise they wouldn't make those death videos.
Would Biometric passports have prevented July 7th?
No, the terrorists were born and bred in the UK
Al Gore didnt invent the internet, he invented the worlds first Powerpoint presentation as anyone who's seen An Inconvienient Truth will testify
If Tiscali cut me off can't I just swap broadband provider or am I blacklisted and put on a national database?
Oh, am I the only one that can't do any work because our websites down?
Crash and Byrne
Any one who buys 2 loaves of bread and has to throw one away because it goes mouldy is more accountable. This person has wasted food.
Stinking rich toffs who pay thousands are unlikely to waste any, also the pig has been fed on something inedible to humans anyway.
As the 3 stooges say "Put your nose in there porcine"
Happy birthday me
As you all know its my birthday today
Cakes are by the photocopier
Hurry before that dollop from accounts eats them all
Anyone else getting worried looks from co-workers as you read this?
Spot on Camers
Thank goodness for someone who can clearly see through all the vested interests and spin to get right to the core of the problem
Its very similar to how I dealt with my junk mail problem, force the postman to eat any junk mail he pushes through my letterbox
Does it really matter?
Thousands of people died and now there's the prospect of a lasting peace. People might talk of journalistic integrity and accountability but we're ten years away from a post-mortem. All history will eventually be rewritten by hindsight and Hollywood scriptwriters.
Sorry to get all Lennonesque but when the dust settles the truth will out, Peace prizes are for the people of Ireland not their politicians.
Almost as ridiculous as anyone claiming that they really own a piece of the Earth