Re: Sad reality
You did a fine job in expressing my first two points about the inability of humanity to """think big""", those being
1) Greed (in all of its forms, such as the intense desire to accumulate wealth, essential resources or political domination), and
2) Instant Gratification (patience is NOT a virtue, the I """must have it now""" mentality).
and, then we can include
3) Conflict (and the failure to avoid it),
4) Arrogance (in all of its forms, on a personal, organizational, religious or governmental level),
5) Indifference (to the plight/suffering of others).
If you can espouse others, then please feel free to pile on.
Unless, and until humanity can get these areas of concern resolved, then humanity is doomed.
Until humanity can co-cooperatively work to improve the existence of ALL of us, and learn to co-exist peacefully with one another. we are doomed to continue to repeat the violence and destruction that has plagued humanity since the dawn of recorded history.
One of the most visceral examples of that mentality in the past century. was espoused in the concept of a Master Race, and the evil that resulted from it being unleashed upon the world; and the resulting global conflict to destroy that evil.
The waste in human lives and the destruction of the planet, and the unleashing of new weapons of mass destruction, established a mentality of mutually assured destruction that gripped the world in fear for the last half of the last century.
That fear (of global destruction) has been replaced by a new fear of pointless mass killings by those who would impose their concept of 'tribal God imagery' upon others who do not share their narrow religious views with butchery as punishment for resisting such imposition.
As I have said humanity is doomed. It may be too late.