Virgin Media and Phorm
I've got a Virgin Media business account, and sort out PCs for several neighbours with Virgin residential lines.
I actually spoke to VM's lawyers about Phorm last Friday. After the public drubbing BT got, they seem very anxious to be seen to be doing the right thing.
What I got from the call was:
1) They are still looking at whether or not to implement
2) No trial would be carried out without prior notification
3) They're watching with interest what is happening with regard BT and Phorm
4) They're aware (and concerned) about Phorm's history
5) They aren't planning to implement it on business accounts (though as these pass in part over domestic network I can't see that makes any difference).
Try calling them, voice your opinions... if nothing else it's their time and call cost!
That the ICO can see no breach of the DPA isn't a shock, but we should probably be writing en masse to the home secretary to ask them to investigate the breach of law vis-a-vis RIPA.
Do it by pen and paper and cc it to your local MP. If you don't get a reply, push it up the scale with a few newspapers, watchdog etc. "Home Secretary fails to look into illegal interception" is just one conceivable headline.
I'm typing my letter this morning. Anyone else joining in?
Paris - because even she can understand what's going on