3 posts • joined 6 Feb 2008
Re: raid cards optional.
> Here's a a totally awesome Linux freebie: http://www.openfiler.com/
Or, more applicable - an OpenSolaris freebie ...
HP beats Sun
Jeremy writes : "No one uses Solaris anymore - everyone that matters has already upgraded to HP-UX running on the world's fastest HP servers. Sun and Schwartz-boy should've ported Slowaris to Intel and made it open source."
Jeremy, I'm sure you're just being amusing, but for those that might think your post is genuine, the open source edition of Solaris (for Intel/x86 or Sparc) can be downloaded at ....
http://www.opensolaris.com or http://www.opensolaris.org
Does anybody *really* use HP-UX anymore? - It's dead already isn't it?
"4*8*.75 = 24 Licenses required
24 * 40K = $960,000 + $192K/year maintenance"
oh, and BTW, while we're on the subject of facts, the Oracle per-core pricing for Niagara chips is a 0.25 multiplier, not a 0.75.
So, in fact, an 8-core, 64-thread Niagara-II server will cost you two enterprise edition licenses.
So, still, the cheapest database server on the planet.
oh, and the UltraSPARC-IV+ is not EOL'd.
Did you get anything right?
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Hate the BlackBerry Z10 and Passport? How about this dusty old flashback instead?
- NASA: Spacecraft crash site FOUND ON MOON RIM
- Google's Mr Roboto Andy Rubin bids sayonara to Chocolate Factory
- NATO declares WAR on Google Glass, mounts attack alongside MPAA