2 posts • joined 3 Apr 2007
Power and responsibility
I adored my little grandmother, and if she could have (and would have) used a computer just for email and getting pics of the grandkids, I no more would have turned her loose with unsecured equipment than I would have popped her on skis and pushed her down a mountainside. If you have family members and/or friends who you know are at cyber risk, go ahead and point and laugh a bit (you know want to), but then offer to help out if you are able.
For the solidly stupid there is no cure, but the innocently ignorant can be educated.
Enthusiastic power users still a danger?
A friend of mine put it very well:
it used to be
"Mom, Timmy is in the backyard with scissors!"
"Mom, Timmy has Daddy's chainsaw in the living room!"
- 'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux
- Review A SCORCHIO fatboy SSD: Samsung SSD850 PRO 3D V-NAND
- Was Earth once covered in HELLFIRE? No – more like a wet Sunday night in Iceland
- Every billionaire needs a PANZER TANK, right? STOP THERE, Paul Allen
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads