1 post • joined 22 Jan 2008
Sony Ericsson Update Service warning
Be warned that Sony Ericsson's Update Service caused the phone function of my w900i to not work. In desperation, I did the updates over 10 times using 4 different computers with numerous phone resets - all to no avail. Phone calls can only be done using the wired handsfree kit. I am not sure if this will happen to anyone else but I wished I knew of this before I did my beloved w900i in.
To prevent this from happening to you, let Sony Ericsson do the update for you. Don't try this on your own. The hotline chap I spoke to asked me if I have read the disclaimer on the update service screen. That was as far as I got with their service. Of course, I could pay $40 for them to look at my phone, then another $100 to have them fix it, including 3 hours of waiting at the counter and one week's loss of use.
Must as I liked the phone, but using it as a walkman is not cool. So after 3 months of looking for some kind Sony Ericsson service staff and using my old Nokia in the interim, I took the plunge and traded the w900i for a Nokia N95 8G.
I have 20 years of IT software development under my belt and I think I know how to do a software update correctly. But no amount of experience can help me get Sony Ericsson's software to work on a Sony Ericsson phone.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER