1 post • joined 4 Dec 2007
What about the 6500?
We had Serial #001 CDC 6500 at Michigan State University in the early 70s. Learned Fortran, LISP, and played wicked Star Trek on that beast. I loved the SCOPE OS. It was nice. It was clean. It was almost as good as Unix! Anyway, thanks for this blast from the past, as an operator, we could also have great fun getting the tape drives to open and close in sequence. Grand old machines. You are right, it's a shame modern 'puter designers can't take a lesson from the greats of the past!
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Updated + vids WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- Massive new AIRSHIP to enter commercial service at British dirigible base