2 posts • joined 28 Nov 2007
ST-Ericsson not a big enough competitor?
Something I cannot understand: why is it bad that the three European mobile platforms makers (ST, NXP-Philips and EMP-Ericsson) create a big enough joint venture to compete against Qualcomm?
Theoretically at least, they have product portfolio, R&D muscle and customer base to continue building chipsets, software and mobile platforms for a long time. And, for competition's sake, it is probably better to have two big companies than one huge dominant player + three or four dwarves...
Check the GSMA standard board for NFC
They are defining two 'flat battery' working modes:
- one when the mobile seems shut down, but there is some power left
- one totally powerless, so the SIM and NFC chip are powered from the reader (like the typical RFID tag)
So there's still some hope left.
You can check it up here:
- Vid Hubble 'scope snaps 200,000-ton chunky crumble conundrum
- Updated + vids WHOA: Get a load of Asteroid DX110 JUST MISSING planet EARTH
- 10 years of Facebook Inside Facebook's engineering labs: Hardware heaven, HP hell – PICTURES
- Very fabric of space-time RIPPED apart in latest Hubble pic
- Massive new AIRSHIP to enter commercial service at British dirigible base