10 posts • joined 3 Oct 2007
The craft of fantasy has lost a Master
<- Sea-Dragon Conqueror Mask
I first read "The Dying Earth" in the early 60s. Vance's capricious characters, distinctive dialogue, strange settings, and astonishing action enthralled me for decades afterwards. I have found few other writers whose work rewarded repeated reading over such a length of time. While his work always carried an unmistakeable flavor, his invention spanned many people and worlds.
If there is a heaven for those who do their work well and bring delight to others, he is there.
Step away from that metaphor! NOW!
Re: lol so true
Hire Cliff Stoll to watch the Receive/Transmit LEDs 24/7/365.
WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
Remove United States District Attorney Carmen Ortiz from office for overreach in the case of Aaron Swartz.
The usage is rare, but still in your dictionary:
It's too late
and has been for a long time.
"The term "solar furnace" has also evolved to refer to solar concentrator heating systems using parabolic mirrors or heliostats where 538 °C (1,000 °F) is now commonly achieved. The largest solar furnace in the world is at Odeillo in the Pyrenees-Orientales in France, opened in 1970."
Flames... "'cause it's hot." [BOC]
Open Cloud Considered Harmful
1. Security and integration require competent designers working on realistic schedules. Prudently managed businesses avoid such expenses and such impediments to early market entry. Portability and interoperability provide unacceptable advantages to competitors. Governance/management and metering/monitoring are acceptable business areas, but only if served through proprietary products and well-protected intellectual property.
2. Businesses offering insecure and unscalable products must lock customers into a particular platform, or they will lose sales to well-design, effective, and interconnectable alternatives.
3. The IT industry investment in existing standards and standards organizations is income lost to businesses entering the Cloud market. An entering organization will assure a healthy revenue stream by rendering existing IT investments obsolete.
5. Community effort driven by customer needs will reveal shortcomings in providers' offerings, leading to loss of income and prestige. Before satisfying customer requirements, a business must first minimize costs, maximize profitability, and increase market share.
6. Standards organizations eliminate product differentiation and thereby destroy a firm's advantage of marketing a unique product. Advocacy groups and communities interfere with cost reduction efforts by publicizing ineffective products and unethical practices. A business best reinforces its equity and credit positions with re-engineering-prevention licenses, non-disclosure agreements, and agressive patent and intellectual property litigation.
(Disclaimer: I am not now, not have I ever been, an employee, shareholder, or creditor of Microsoft.)
@Fluffykins 6th Feb 17:21 GMT
I, for one, welcome our perfidious, shopkeeping overlords.
The market already offers large inorganic LED displays. If I need a durable display, and I do not need it to bend, why do I need OLEDs?
- Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge
- Did Apple's iOS make you physically SICK? Try swallowing version 7.1
- Pics Indestructible Death Stars blow up planets using glowing KILL RAY
- Video Snowden: You can't trust SPOOKS with your DATA
- Review Distro diaspora: Four flavours of Ubuntu unpacked