1 post • joined Monday 1st October 2007 22:19 GMT
Brought two 500gb Maxtor External Hard drives from a pc world store and used one in Cheltenham where it currently is and the other 80 miles away on a pc which has never been connected to a network or to the internet.
the two Hard drives were never in contact with each other but the findings were the same as can be seen in the following.
Object Name: Ghost.pif ( this being the file name on the disc )
Object path: H:\ ( being one of the relevent paths on the Hdd )
Discovery: Trojan Horse PSW.Generic4.TUP
I later when back to Pc World in Merthyr Tydifil where i was greeted with it was impossible and that they dont come with viruses, When i asked them to open one up they were really reluctant as if they knew this virus lived on the disk being sold.
I spoke to the manager of the store and the tech guy but they really didnt know and said that i didnt know what i was talking about.
I would advise anyone reading this not to purchase any Maxtor disk from Pc world until they have investigated this problem, if Pc world want proof i will supply them with this inorder to protect the people intending to purchase these items.
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- Exploits no more! Firefox 26 blocks all Java plugins by default
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16
- NSFW Oz couple get jiggy in pharmacy in 'banned' condom ad