Note: "abused by rogue regimes to spy on US citizens"
This perfect fit for "rogue regimes' IS the US.
The NSA, those guys who own the satellite antenna farm at Menwith Hill spy base near Harrogate in North Yorkshire < http://www.google.com.vn/search?q=nsa%2C+menwith%2C+yorkshire >, already has taps into almost every cell system world-wide < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_telephone_tapping_case_2004-2005 > including those in the USA.
The US Constitution that is so revered by everyone there except for politicians and the security people prohibits spying on citizens. Notwithstanding the so-called Patriot Act allows this tapping even though it is illegal.
Obviously everyone should start inputting 'terrorist' type questions so that the kooks will waste their time chasing down false leads. Same for VOIP or text messaging and use proxies so they waste time tracking from where the call terminates.
The only satisfying thing is in knowing that this business is a failure as many so called acts of 'terrorism' continue unabated and undetected prior to the fact, proving that this waste of money can never succeed.
- Review Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Proof the pen is mightier?
- Nuke plants to rely on PDP-11 code UNTIL 2050!
- Spin doctors brazenly fiddle with tiny bits in front of the neighbours
- Game Theory Out with a bang: The Last of Us lets PS3 exit with head held high
- Flash flaw potentially makes every webcam or laptop a PEEPHOLE