although it;s a good word, 'metonym' is probably not the word they were looking for, since it refers to a proper noun used to refer to another, by association (such as using 'Hoover' to mean any vacuum cleaner). Maybe 'mnemonic' would be more accurate in the first instance, 'metaphor' in the second, and, err, 'name' in the third?
- Review Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Proof the pen is mightier?
- Nuke plants to rely on PDP-11 code UNTIL 2050!
- Spin doctors brazenly fiddle with tiny bits in front of the neighbours
- Game Theory Out with a bang: The Last of Us lets PS3 exit with head held high
- That Microsoft-Nokia merger you've been predicting? It's no go