What I am looking for...
My phone (ancient Nokia) has J2ME. On it, I have installed OperaMini 4.2, Sideralis2 (a star chart, as an itty mobile is a handy thing to carry when out stargazing, more convenient than a laptop), and a broken program (Gpstrack) to record data from a Bluetooth GPS dongle that I picked up for a few euros in a boot sale. It is broken in that it seems to record, but is unable to 'play back' (or save/send/email), though in record mode (if I ignore the recording) it gives a nice on-screen compass plus position/direction/speed markers. Okay, so it's a new toy...
Never really desired for anything else on my mobile. It'd be sweet to store/read PDFs, but for an inch-sized screen and slow processor, there are limitations! For a better experience, I'd just load a real program on my netbook, which is why I don't have a need for anything much on the phone.
So put me in the "don't care about an app store" category. I'd much prefer it to have a good receiver (weak signal area) plus a decent battery life so if I forget to charge it, the world won't end.
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- BBC suspends CTO after it wastes £100m on doomed IT system
- Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire