"but surely something can be done by putting computing power outside the life supported areas."
Think of it this way. Space is a very near vacuum. The *entire* structure is inside a vacuum flask.
If you want to dump heat you can do it by conduction, convection or radiation.
Conduction. Nowhere to go.
Convection. No fluid *outside* the structure to convect.
Leaving radiation. Hence the rather large flat structures that aim to dump waste heat into the shadow of the station.
Mine would be the college physics textbook in the pocket.
- Breaking news: Google exec veep in terrifying SKY PLUNGE DRAMA
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Google CEO Larry Page gives Sundar Pichai keys to the kingdom
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? SKYPE has the HOTS for my NAKED WIFE