No, no it wasn't. It was written in 1997 by Michael Sweet, used in Linux from 1999, then used in OSX from 2002 as it was *already robust*. Apple bought the code and hired the developer in 2007.
Not very written by Apple, really.
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- Exploits no more! Firefox 26 blocks all Java plugins by default
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Google embiggens its fat vid pipe Chromecast with TEN new supported apps
- Review Hey Linux newbie: If you've never had a taste, try perfect Petra ... mmm, smells like Mint 16