"Second the operator of the WAP can re-direct you to any sites he wants, even ones that appear to be what you wanted but aren't."
At that point OpenSSH will complain that the server key doesn't match the one it has cached and I'll know I've been redirected so won't open a tunnel. ;~)
Sorry, automatic geek response. You raise a good point.
To be honest the times I've used open points I have done so to access El Reg and other sites which I won't log onto through that access point (I clear session data on exit etc. blah, blah...). While I am aware that there is some risk involved, the fact I know it's a risk allows me to take a lot of care.
- Top Gear Tigers and Bingo Boilers: Farewell then, Phones4U
- Breaking Fad 4K-ing excellent TV is on its way ... in its own sweet time, natch
- First Irish boy band U2. Now Apple pushes ANOTHER thing into iPhones, iPods, iPads
- Updated iOS 8 Healthkit gets a bug SO Apple KILLS it. That's real healthcare!
- Stephen Pie iPhone 6: Most exquisite MOBILE? NO, it's the Most Exquisite THING. EVER