Not A Monopoly.
Apple is a hardware company. That's where it's money's at.
The software, including OS X, is a vehicle to sell hardware. The same goes for App Store drives iPhone & Touch sales.
This is also why OS X and other Apple software such as iWork is so much cheaper than MS equivalents. Sell the software cheap, and the hardware at a premium.
Can you have a monopoly on your own product? No. You invented it. It's yours. If you can protect it, then you should.
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Review Tough Banana Pi: a Raspberry Pi for colour-blind diehards
- Product round-up Ten Mac freeware apps for your new Apple baby
- Analysis Pity the poor Windows developer: The tools for desktop development are in disarray
- Chromecast video on UK, Euro TVs hertz so badly it makes us judder – but Google 'won't fix'