Not A Monopoly.
Apple is a hardware company. That's where it's money's at.
The software, including OS X, is a vehicle to sell hardware. The same goes for App Store drives iPhone & Touch sales.
This is also why OS X and other Apple software such as iWork is so much cheaper than MS equivalents. Sell the software cheap, and the hardware at a premium.
Can you have a monopoly on your own product? No. You invented it. It's yours. If you can protect it, then you should.
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- Google embiggens its fat vid pipe Chromecast with TEN new supported apps
- Xmas Round-up Ghosts of Christmas Past: Ten tech treats from yesteryear
- Exploits no more! Firefox 26 blocks all Java plugins by default
- NSFW Oz couple get jiggy in pharmacy in 'banned' condom ad